Topaz Spyder

  • ravenouspi
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 2, 2005
      I found this in the design database on this group while browsing the
      "Printable List" Does anyone perhaps have a scan of the drawings and
      article referenced from MAIB. Modification of "Topaz", open utility
      OB cruiser. Ref: MAIB, V19 #4.

      I've been thinking of squaring off the stern and enclosing the OB
      instead of the swim platform thingy. Just wondering if this variation
      on the Topaz Hull could give me some ideas.

      Rav
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 29, 2005
        Announcing a milestone of sorts:

        My family and I have decided that
        we need a Topaz Spyder for summer
        use at the lake. It passes the tough
        approval test of my teenager, being
        cool looking enough to be 'seen in'
        and big enough to carry all her friends.

        And, it passes the 'sniff test'
        of my own, as wow, there are so many
        overpowered, low freeboard, 'testosterone'
        boats on the lake right now that fail
        that test.

        Sent PB&F the check today, and hopefully can
        be ready by next summer.

        http://hallman.org/bolger/650/650-2.gif
      • Will Samson
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 29, 2005
          Looking forward to seeing the launching pics, Bruce. She looks really mouthwatering!

          If you keep up your usual rate of production, I suspect we'll be seeing them before too many birthdays have passed ;-)

          Happy building!

          Bill
          and big enough to carry all her friends.

          And, it passes the 'sniff test'
          of my own, as wow, there are so many
          overpowered, low freeboard, 'testosterone'
          boats on the lake right now that fail
          that test.

          Sent PB&F the check today, and hopefully can
          be ready by next summer.

          http://hallman.org/bolger/650/650-2.gif

          Bolger rules!!!

        • Sam Glasscock
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 29, 2005
            Great, Bruce, I believe yours will be the first Spyder
            built, correct? What power are you planning on? Did
            PB&F ever complet the wide-stern mod for higher power,
            as there had been talk of? Sam

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 29, 2005
              > Great, Bruce, I believe yours will be the first Spyder
              > built, correct? What power are you planning on? Did
              > PB&F ever complet the wide-stern mod for higher power,
              > as there had been talk of? Sam

              I am not sure if the River Thames version got built.

              I am indecisive on the power, personally I would be
              happy with my 9.9 OB, but my kid and S.O. want
              the boat to be fast, so I am resolved to buy a motor
              to make her plane, [and know that PB&F recommend
              at 50HP in the article], but my urge would be 75HP.

              BTW, I am encouraged by your descriptions of
              trailering the hull, which seems real big to my eye!

              I hadn't heard of the 'wide stern mod', though one
              thing I really like about the looks of the boat is the
              'double ended' taper.
            • Sam Glasscock
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 29, 2005
                I can't wait to see her. These hulls look
                intimidating on a trailer but tow eeeeasy, and launch
                and retreive easily, too. The Spyder is one
                great-looking boat. Like you, I find the plan-view
                shape of the hull to be one of the most endearing
                aspects of these boats.

                > BTW, I am encouraged by your descriptions of
                > trailering the hull, which seems real big to my eye!
                >
                > I hadn't heard of the 'wide stern mod', though one
                > thing I really like about the looks of the boat is
                > the
                > 'double ended' taper.

                __________________________________
                Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
                http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
              • Hugo Tyson
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 29, 2005
                  I hope the finish will be a bit finer than the SpurII Project! ?

                  Will Samson <willsamson@...> wrote:Looking forward to seeing the launching pics, Bruce. She looks really mouthwatering!

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 30, 2005
                    > Announcing a milestone of sorts:
                    >
                    >> Sent PB&F the check today, and hopefully can
                    > be ready by next summer.
                    >
                    > http://hallman.org/bolger/650/650-2.gif

                    Whaddya mean"next summer"? Expecting snow any time soon in sunny
                    Californ-i-a? :-)

                    She is a handsome boat and will certainly be a treat to build and
                    use.
                    Here are a load of questions for you Bruce:
                    Where are you planning on building her?
                    If outside,will you be building a "shop" or shelter for the build
                    time?
                    Will you be working alone or getting help?
                    Are you gonna break down and use MDO for her?
                    Are you going to do a time chart for her now to compare with the
                    final
                    time chart when you launch her?
                    And finally,how in 'ell are you ever going to resist the temptation
                    through a hard top cabin on her once you start "strolling" around
                    that
                    huge cockpit?

                    Best of luck with her and I(as well as others I'm sure!)look forward
                    to seeing your progress photos.......you'll probably be finished and
                    launched before me:-)

                    Sincerely,

                    Peter Lenihan,from where 4 seasons have a real meaning in terms of
                    weather changes and not just a slight cooling,as it were.....
                  • Peter Lenihan
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 30, 2005

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 30, 2005
                        > Whaddya mean"next summer"? Expecting snow any time soon in sunny
                        > Californ-i-a? :-)

                        I am lowering expectations, knowing that my guesses of how long
                        it will take always come up short. The truth is that Topaz Spyder
                        is a simple boat, though big.

                        I haven't totally settled on where to build her, with some
                        negotiations in the family still necessary. I have three
                        locations in my backyard that are possible. I am leaning
                        towards the one closest to the kitchen door, but that
                        will be 'right there' filling up the side yard. Also, that
                        would require a new larger 'door' in the back wall of the
                        garage, and ultimately the boat would need to extract
                        through the garage to the street. Cover is not essential
                        here in California (340 days of the year, we *do* have
                        15 days of winter), but I might put cover up anyway.

                        > Will you be working alone or getting help?

                        Mostly alone, but there are enough teenage kids
                        around that can be enlisted for the flip.

                        > Are you gonna break down and use MDO for her?

                        Yes, definitely, mostly because I hope to eliminate
                        as much fiberglass work as I can. I will consult with
                        PCB, but I am even tempted to eliminate it on the
                        bottom. I will 'up the finish' quality on certain visible
                        areas, such as the forward deck, and windshield
                        trim. Also I am thinking of using some nicer wood
                        [and woodwork] on the seating benches, with a
                        wood slats for the seating surfaces as opposed to
                        built in upholstery. I am going to try using
                        Brightsides for the paint, though I am going to
                        try a test patch without the primer, putting the paint
                        directly on the MDO.

                        > Are you going to do a time chart for her now to compare with the
                        > final time chart when you launch her?

                        That takes too much fun out of the building process <g>.

                        > And finally,how in 'ell are you ever going to resist the temptation
                        > to through a hard top cabin on her once you start "strolling" around
                        > that huge cockpit?

                        The revelation I had, that lead to the need to build a Spyder is that
                        for the next five years or so, my summer vacations are going to
                        revolve around entertaining teenagers. When my kid is off to
                        college, or whatever, I then can turn to getting a cabin cruiser,
                        either a top on my existing Topaz hull, or another boat.

                        So in short, this Spyder has a five year life horizon.
                      • pvanderwaart
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 30, 2005
                          > The revelation I had, that lead to the need to build a Spyder is that
                          > for the next five years or so, my summer vacations are going to
                          > revolve around entertaining teenagers. When my kid is off to
                          > college, or whatever, I then can turn to getting a cabin cruiser,
                          > either a top on my existing Topaz hull, or another boat.
                          >
                          > So in short, this Spyder has a five year life horizon.

                          As a generality, kids are a great drag on a man's boating life, second
                          only to a recluctant wife, unless of course they get bitten by the
                          boating bug and are the single greatest boon. Our over-programmed
                          children keep themselves and their transporters busy on land going to
                          ball games, dance lessons, etc. Once they reach high school, these
                          things can prevent the family from getting a decent vacation together.

                          Neither of my kids was very interesting in boating, but neither did we
                          have any teenage behavior problems and they were always pretty
                          cooperative.

                          A well-done Spyder should be a spectacular craft. An interesting
                          comparison to the Sneakeasy.

                          Peter
                        • donschultz8275
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 30, 2005
                            Congrats on the decision. Should be a terrific laker, handsome and
                            robust. Also capable of many different missions w' 75hp. Water
                            skiing to cruising under a bimini.

                            Best wishes for a very good build.

                            Don

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 30, 2005
                              > As a generality, kids are a great drag on a man's boating life, second
                              > only to a recluctant wife, unless of course they get bitten by the
                              > boating bug and are the single greatest boon.

                              I have 'cleared' this with my S.O. [who likes the idea]
                              and my kid who declares that this boat is 'hecka cool'
                              and my calculations that it will make a great lake
                              party platform for a gaggle of teenagers.

                              http://hallman.org/bolger/650/FullLength.jpg

                              shows a picture I grabbed off the web of a Topaz
                              sans cabin, showing roughly what a Spyder will
                              look like [add the windshield in your minds eye]
                            • John Bell
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 30, 2005
                                If you dig back through the archives on this group you'll find that the
                                builder of the prototype Topaz talked about his choice of a 75 HP over the
                                50 suggested by PCB&F. IRRC, he said it was too much and that in retrospect
                                50 HP was a better choice. Cheaper too.

                                FWIW, as long as you can go 18-20 mph you are fast enough to pull an
                                inflatable. I routinely pull my kids at 15 mph and they like it just fine.
                                We can go over 20 mph, but the thrills aren't so much greater as to justify
                                nearly double the fuel burn.

                                JB

                                | Congrats on the decision. Should be a terrific laker, handsome and
                                | robust. Also capable of many different missions w' 75hp. Water
                                | skiing to cruising under a bimini.
                                |
                                | Best wishes for a very good build.
                                |
                                | Don

                              • donschultz8275
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 30, 2005
                                  As I recall, that builder put the boat in the water in this form then
                                  brought her back for the cabin.

                                  Don
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 30, 2005
                                    > 50 HP was a better choice. Cheaper too.
                                    > JB

                                    I appreciate that advice, sounds good.
                                    I will also be asking PCB his thoughts, usually they are right on.
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 30, 2005
                                      Just back this morning from some plain ol' messin' about
                                      in my sweet 'Cartoon 5' rowboat, here is one picture.

                                      http://hallman.org/hallman/TallShips.jpg
                                    • Harry James
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 30, 2005
                                        Keep that healthy exercise up and 20 more years is easy, should go for 40.

                                        HJ

                                        Bruce Hallman wrote:

                                        >Just back this morning from some plain ol' messin' about
                                        >in my sweet 'Cartoon 5' rowboat, here is one picture.
                                        >
                                        >http://hallman.org/hallman/TallShips.jpg

                                      • john h wright
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 30, 2005
                                          Great Picture! It even makes me feel good and I am working in a hot
                                          garage building a kayak for the Colorado 100. Just came in to cool
                                          off... 90 degrees, but a lot cooler than the last week.
                                        • Sam Glasscock
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 30, 2005
                                            Bruce, I have the 50 high-thrust Bolger recommends.
                                            It is plenty of engine for 12kt cruising and can push
                                            the boat loaded at 18kts wide open, so the Spyder with
                                            that motor ought to be able to approach 20, with its
                                            lower weight and windage. Brad Raby had a 75 on his,
                                            hull "1", and he did indeed think it was more than he
                                            needed. You might want to stick with the higher hp if
                                            you plan a lot of skiing/towing-type watersports, so
                                            as not to be running opened up all the time. The
                                            narrow-sterned Topaz will squat with a lot of power
                                            applied unless the motor is mounted so that the cav.
                                            plate is at the level of the hull. I keep mine down
                                            an inch or so to prevent cavitation in a steep chop,
                                            but in a lake setting you can keep her in "speedboat
                                            mode"--with a 75 she should really fly. Sam

                                            --- Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

                                            > > 50 HP was a better choice. Cheaper too.
                                            > > JB
                                            >
                                            > I appreciate that advice, sounds good.
                                            > I will also be asking PCB his thoughts, usually they
                                            > are right on.

                                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                                          • Peter Lenihan
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 31, 2005
                                              > Just back this morning from some plain ol' messin' about
                                              > in my sweet 'Cartoon 5' rowboat, here is one picture.
                                              >
                                              > http://hallman.org/hallman/TallShips.jpg

                                              Colour me green with envy(yet again!)! Lovely photo!

                                              I've been thinking of your Spyder:
                                              considering that this type and style of boat is likely to have
                                              considerable market appeal for all the obvious reasons
                                              (trailerability,outboard power practicality and sexability) it may
                                              well be worth going the extra mile to build her "Bristol fashion"
                                              with no skimping on materials or the "sanding between multiple
                                              coats" approach to finishing.Granted, your stated use period is
                                              windowed at 5 years and by then you'll surely want to dispose of her
                                              to build another boat so why not get the max return possible out of
                                              her by doing it "right" and thus netting a goodly sum to finance
                                              that next boat(s).
                                              Now,go back to that lovely picture you posted for us; imagine THAT
                                              guy with a mitt full of hair grease slicking back those wild locks,a
                                              white un-buttoned cotton shirt and some black wrap-around"don't fook
                                              with me mista" sunglasses behind the wheel of a decked out sexy
                                              SPYDER "cruisin'" along the water front......hmmmmm.....James Bond
                                              eat yer heart out :-D

                                              Sincerely,

                                              Peter"would still love to see the time chart" Lenihan, with a head
                                              full of scenarios for a Sexy Spyder and her captain..........
                                            • donschultz8275
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 31, 2005
                                                > > 50 HP was a better choice. Cheaper too.
                                                > > JB
                                                >
                                                > I appreciate that advice, sounds good.
                                                > I will also be asking PCB his thoughts, usually they are right on.

                                                IMO if Bolger misses an HP requirement, he will tend to miss low. The
                                                most obvious example of this was on Retriever, and this was despite
                                                success in the series, Bee, Microtrawler, and Hawkeye. Also, Fast
                                                Motor Sailer becomes an outstanding power cruiser w' 150 hp, but might
                                                otherwise use only 25 or less if you don't want to get up on plane and
                                                fly. Those who've built Cabin Clam Skiff, seem to like big engines.

                                                So I'd look to the competed Topaz boats for direction more than the
                                                designer. The prototype does well w' 75. I wouldn't cut 1/3rd of the
                                                HP guessing the weight and windage of the top will make that much
                                                difference, getting up on plane. I would throttle the 75 back and
                                                enjoy the reduced noise level.

                                                RE finish, IMO build of MDO, then glue on door skin accents finished
                                                bright. I think that is kind of what Bolger suggests in the essay.

                                                Don
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 31, 2005
                                                  > So I'd look to the competed Topaz boats for direction more than the
                                                  > designer. The prototype does well w' 75. I wouldn't cut 1/3rd of the
                                                  > HP guessing the weight and windage of the top will make that much
                                                  > difference, getting up on plane.

                                                  Isn't Topaz essentially 'on plane' at rest?

                                                  More for my intended purpose, I think I need the horsepower
                                                  for accelerating the water skiing kids.

                                                  > RE finish, IMO build of MDO, then glue on door skin accents finished
                                                  > bright. Don

                                                  Yes, I want the boat to look 'good enough' to satisfy the 'look'n cool'
                                                  requirements of the kids, but I am not seeing this boat as a long
                                                  term investment that requires gold plating.
                                                • Will Samson
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 31, 2005
                                                    Hi Bruce,

                                                    I remember when that Mexican (?) tall ship with the unpronouncable name was in Dundee harbour 4 or 5 years ago and I sailed past her in my Chebacco.

                                                    The crew were by far the most immaculate of all the sailors visiting the city. They'd have put Lord Nelson to shame!

                                                    Small world (if you live in a tall ship).

                                                    Bill

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jan 30, 2006
                                                      Bruce, Now that you're well along in building, how do you find working
                                                      with MDO? Also do you think one could take 2 feet out of the middle of
                                                      Topaz length? I have been looking at the expansions and the offsets
                                                      and it looks like it would not change shape too much. I really want to
                                                      use the hull as an open fishing or work boat.Clyde