Light Schooner Motor Well Slot Cover

  • robrohdeszudy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
      Hey folks,

      On the Light Schooner, the motor well is inboard, in front of the
      rudder. Bolger doesn't show you how to cover the slot, hoping the
      builder will figure out a good way to do it. But he does assure us that
      it much be done, or the hole becomes a geyser at speed.

      Well, I made a plywood drop-in door that'll seal it just fine. But it
      seems like it'll be a royal pain in the butt to get removed and
      replaced around the motor's lower unit.

      I thought of covering the whole thing with 1/16" rubber, held to the
      bottom with metal strips, and slit down the middle for the lower unit
      to slip through. The idea is that the rubber would spring closed to
      keep most of the water out.

      Anybody have any thoughts on that?

      Thanks,
      --Rob
    • John B. Trussell
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
        Rob--I hinged the slot cover at its aft end and held the forward end down
        with a sliding bolt barrel latch (? the sort of latch you frequently find
        on gates) to hold it in place. With the cover flipped up, you coud mount a
        small motor, though I never got around to buying one. Bolger claims that he
        often leaves details to builders because they often come up with a better
        solution than he can.

        John T
        > On the Light Schooner, the motor well is inboard, in front of the
        > rudder. Bolger doesn't show you how to cover the slot, hoping the
        > builder will figure out a good way to do it. But he does assure us that
        > it much be done, or the hole becomes a geyser at speed.
        >
        > Well, I made a plywood drop-in door that'll seal it just fine. But it
        > seems like it'll be a royal pain in the butt to get removed and
        > replaced around the motor's lower unit.
        >
        > I thought of covering the whole thing with 1/16" rubber, held to the
        > bottom with metal strips, and slit down the middle for the lower unit
        > to slip through. The idea is that the rubber would spring closed to
        > keep most of the water out.
        >
        > Anybody have any thoughts on that?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > --Rob