Help needed

  • Bjørn Harbo
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2005
      I had to remove some of the windows of my WDJ, partly due to the repair
      of the leeboard-brackets og partly because they leaked. The windows have
      been fastened to the hull with ordinary silicone sealer (sealant?) and
      galvanized screws (to be substituded with brass screws). Before
      remounting them I have to remove the residue of sealant from the
      windows. It sticks like nothing I have seen. Somebody told me that using
      solvent on lexan windows is contraindicated - they would disintegrate.
      Scraping of the sealant from six BIG windows is one h... of a job -
      besides the side effect of scratching the surface.
      My question: can I use some sort of solvent?
      Bjorn in Oslo
      eager to get Esmeralda into the fjord
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2005
        > Scraping of the sealant from six BIG windows is one h... of a job -

        Could you run a router with a straight bit around the edges of
        the window openings, and cut the silicone out?
      • Bjørn Harbo
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2005
          The silicone remains on the windows themselves - not on the hull (from
          which removing that awful stuff was real easy).

          On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 13:37 -0700, Bruce Hallman wrote:
          > > Scraping of the sealant from six BIG windows is one h... of a job -
          >
          > Could you run a router with a straight bit around the edges of
          > the window openings, and cut the silicone out?

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Richard Spelling
          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2005
            Doubt it. Try to desolve small samples. I would bet that anything
            that desolved the silicoe would trash the lexan.

            Try gentle heat with a hair dryer, maybe?

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn Harbo <bharbo@o...> wrote:
            > The silicone remains on the windows themselves - not on the hull
            (from
            > which removing that awful stuff was real easy).
            >
            > On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 13:37 -0700, Bruce Hallman wrote:
            > > > Scraping of the sealant from six BIG windows is one h... of a
            job -

            > > Could you run a router with a straight bit around the edges of
            > > the window openings, and cut the silicone out?
            > >

            > > Bolger rules!!!
            > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead
            horses
            > > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks,
            Fred' posts
            subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 7 , May 31, 2005
              > The silicone remains on the windows themselves

              Anybody know the answer to the question:

              Does silicone sealant bond to cured silicone?

              [I think it does.]

              If yes, then you may not need to completely remove the old silicone.
            • Bob Chamberland
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1 6:37 AM
                Dow Corning OS-2 Silicone and Surface Prep Solvent may do it. My 25
                year old Lexan Mfg specifcation says NEVER use Benzene, gasoline,
                acetone or carbon tetrachloride on LEXAN sheet products. Compatible
                cleaners listed are Formula 409, Freon TF, Joy, Palmaolive Liquid, Top
                Job, VM&P grade Naphtha, Windex with Ammonia D. (none of which are
                likely to remove silicone. Search "silicone removal" on Google and you
                will see many sources of info. I suggest a call to your nearest Dow
                Corning distributor or better yet factory rep. Dealers are not much help.
                Bob Chamberland

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1 9:06 AM
                  Thanx Bob. I will try to scrape it off and maybe some alcohol if
                  necessary. It should not be necessary to remove everything (silicone
                  i.e.) though.
                  Final results will be reported.