Re: [bolger] Digest Number 2482

  • catboat15@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25 5:26 PM
      In a message dated 5/25/2005 11:34:12 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      bolger@yahoogroups.com writes:

      I am
      wondering about using exterior latex paint on the hull

      I used Sears "Weather Beater" (Their best quality latex semi gloss house
      paint) on both a Bolger cartopper and my Shell 14-6 sailing dinghy. No problems
      with either one. Put one coat of the recommended primer than two or three
      color coats. Both boats were stored outside on a trailer or bunkers and were
      sailed in both fresh and salt water several times a year.
      I liked the little 11'-6" car topper so well I am building another one, but
      this time out of "Aquatek" ply which is a multilayer Luan purchased from
      Allied Veneer in Los Angeles. The ACX ply I got from the local lumber place was so
      bad with interior voids and unstable (as soon as I would cut out a former or
      frame from the 1/4 inch stuff it would take on a shape like a pretzel, and
      the cuts revealed so many and large interior voids that I am just going to use
      that ply for household uses, shelfs etc, not in a boat.
      I had heard some bad things about luan but talking to the salesman at Allied
      Veneer he said it was purchased for boat building and is not the ordinary
      underlayment luan sold by home centers. With a price difference of $71.25 a
      sheet for Joubert Okoume and $28.95 for the Aquatek I went with the Luan on his
      recommendation.
      Going to be a slow project as the working day here is only from about 6 AM
      to 8 AM before it gets too hot to pick up a tool. Then maybe another hour in
      the evening before it gets too dark to do much.
      Now to see where I can get a couple of 16 foot long 2 X 6 or four 2 X 4s for
      mast, spar and gunwhales.
      Hope to post some photos when and if I can get our digital camera out of my
      wifes hands for a few minutes.

      John Meacham
      High desert of California
      Bolger Cartopper.