Anti-slap pad on Birdwatcher

  • oarmandt
    Message 1 of 8 , May 8 11:35 AM
      New photos in Bolger 5 under "Anti-slap Pad" show the quieting pad on
      the bow of my Birdwatcher. I thought that this would be adaptable to
      other flat-bottomed designs where the owners are annoyed by wave
      noise. The BW 2 plans show this pad as five layers of 1/2" plywood,
      apparently with substantial epoxy putty to fair it. My version uses
      four layers of 3/4" lumber. I carved it to shape and so needed very
      little putty to fair it. I selected solid wood rather than plywood
      for ease of shaping with edged tools. There is about a 1/8" fillet
      where the bottom course meets the bottom.

      The BW2 plans show contours for the ply layers. I had to interpolate
      for thicker stock. I knocked the corners off the courses on the table
      saw before guing it up, but still, carving this with hand tools was a
      good workout. I used jack planes mostly. Rough stock removal was
      with a plane that had the blade ground slightly convex. It was
      finished up with a block plane and relatively little sanding. After
      the epoxy filling, it got a covering of dynel, two layers on the front
      half.

      Mine is 65" long and from chine to chine at the forward end. The hump
      is biased forward of the mid point. I suspect this could be adapted
      to any hull by drawing contour lines by eye and shaping. If you have
      built any models by the lift method, you've got the idea.

      Doug
    • Clyde Wisner
      Message 2 of 8 , May 8 12:00 PM
        I have adapted a 7" backer to my 4.5" Dewalt high speed grinder. You
        have to have a good hold on it when you turn it on, but you (I) can
        carve a stack of plywood to a bevel pretty quick with a course
        sanding disk. If you do this, please be careful but it is handy for
        bolgering. Clyde

        oarmandt wrote:

        > New photos in Bolger 5 under "Anti-slap Pad" show the quieting pad on
        > the bow of my Birdwatcher. I thought that this would be adaptable to
      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 8 , May 8 2:38 PM
          > > New photos in Bolger 5 under "Anti-slap Pad"...

          The pictures show a very neat job of building. Although I'm sure it
          will quite the bow somewhat, I wonder if, overall, it might not be
          just as easy to build a v-bottom boat in the first place. Or, one that
          is v-eed only in the bow.

          Peter
        • gbship
          Message 4 of 8 , May 8 7:03 PM
            Doug:
            That's an impressive piece of sculpture. Great work. When you get it
            launched, please give a progress report to those of us who have
            gone "slap-happy" in flat-bottomed boats.

            Gary Blankenship
          • dbaldnz
            Message 5 of 8 , May 8 10:36 PM
              You have made a nice job of the bow pad Doug.
              I'm in no way being critical of you, but I do wonder at the various
              contortions being designed, to eliminate bow slap in a basic simple
              hull. It has sort of reached the point in my opinion, where one gets
              so involved with the solution to a problem, that one disappears up
              ones own fundamental orifice....if you get my drift....that is,it
              seems to me that a solution has been reached which is perhaps more
              difficult than the thing it was designed to replace.
              There is nothing difficult to building a round bow, giving a better
              result aesthetically and performancewise.
              I built the round bow onto my Micro Navigator, but it would have been
              far easier if it had been designed into it at the beginning.
              I think the nearest Bolger has got to a compromise and pleasing
              solution is the filleted bow of Windermere. Even then I doubt that you
              would save time and effort over a 'designed from the beginning' round bow.
              DonB

              http://oink.kiwiwebhost.biz/

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "oarmandt" <oarman89@v...> wrote:
              > New photos in Bolger 5 under "Anti-slap Pad" show the quieting pad on
              > the bow of my Birdwatcher. I thought that this would be adaptable to
              > other flat-bottomed designs where the owners are annoyed by wave
              > noise. The BW 2 plans show this pad as five layers of 1/2" plywood,
              > apparently with substantial epoxy putty to fair it. My version uses
              > four layers of 3/4" lumber. I carved it to shape and so needed very
              > little putty to fair it. I selected solid wood rather than plywood
              > for ease of shaping with edged tools. There is about a 1/8" fillet
              > where the bottom course meets the bottom.
              >
              > The BW2 plans show contours for the ply layers. I had to interpolate
              > for thicker stock. I knocked the corners off the courses on the table
              > saw before guing it up, but still, carving this with hand tools was a
              > good workout. I used jack planes mostly. Rough stock removal was
              > with a plane that had the blade ground slightly convex. It was
              > finished up with a block plane and relatively little sanding. After
              > the epoxy filling, it got a covering of dynel, two layers on the front
              > half.
              >
              > Mine is 65" long and from chine to chine at the forward end. The hump
              > is biased forward of the mid point. I suspect this could be adapted
              > to any hull by drawing contour lines by eye and shaping. If you have
              > built any models by the lift method, you've got the idea.
              >
              > Doug
            • oarmandt
              Message 6 of 8 , May 9 3:48 PM
                The point is that Bolger's design catalog is filled with flat bottomed
                boats and one of the most persistant criticisms is that they are noisy
                at anchor. Here is a way to quiet the thing without undertaking
                dubious major structural modifications or waiting for Mr. Bolger to
                come out with a redesign. If the existing design is otherwise
                suitable in most respects, the simple to execute anti-slap pad could
                remove the noise objection and result in more builders getting a boat
                they are satified with.

                Maybe building a Vee bottom would be more time and material efficient.
                This is a hobby, not a business, so efficiency is not highly valued.
                I enjoy the building process at least as much as using the end
                product. Carving this bit of sculpture was rather satisfying on its own.

                Doug

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...> wrote:
                > > > New photos in Bolger 5 under "Anti-slap Pad"...
                >
                > The pictures show a very neat job of building. Although I'm sure it
                > will quite the bow somewhat, I wonder if, overall, it might not be
                > just as easy to build a v-bottom boat in the first place. Or, one that
                > is v-eed only in the bow.
                >
                > Peter
              • John B. Trussell
                Message 7 of 8 , May 9 4:49 PM
                  I'm on record with the opinion that BW2 is a needless complication of BW1 and this mind set should probably be considered by anyone reading this.

                  If I understand PCB's published commentary on sharpies, the disadvantage of this hull shape is that, with the boat heeled, there is a pressure differential between the water moving over the bottom and the water moving over the side. The pressure differential generates eddies along the chine, producing excessive drag and interesting handling.

                  PCB's solution has been to match the curve of the bottom to the curve in the side. These matching curves reduce the pressure differential and produce a more efficient hull..(An alternative solution is to draw round chines, though this does not lend itself to plywood home building.)

                  The installation of an anti-slap pad would appear to change the curve of the bottom as the boat heels, and I can't begin to guess if this will have a significant (or even noticeable) impact on performance. However, I think I would wait for some real world feed back before I started reflexively adding pads to every flat bottomed boat.

                  I would also observe that people build flat bottomed boats because they are quick and simple. The simplicity comes with a price. Flat bottomed boats generally do not perform as well and are not as seaworthy as comparable round bottomed boats (the exception being for boats which operate in very shallow water). But round bottomed boats are much more time consuming and expensive to build than round bottomed boats; and flat bottomed boats perform well enough. The trade off in performance is offset by building savings.

                  If you are willing to accept the shortcomings of flat bottomed boats, that's fine. If you are not, and if you are prepared to laminate, fill, and carve an anti-slap pad, maybe a design other than a modified flat bottomed boat would give you more bang for the buck.

                  John T
                  The point is that Bolger's design catalog is filled with flat bottomed
                  boats and one of the most persistant criticisms is that they are noisy
                  at anchor. Here is a way to quiet the thing without undertaking
                  dubious major structural modifications or waiting for Mr. Bolger to
                  come out with a redesign. If the existing design is otherwise
                  suitable in most respects, the simple to execute anti-slap pad could
                  remove the noise objection and result in more builders getting a boat
                  they are satified with.

                  Maybe building a Vee bottom would be more time and material efficient.
                  This is a hobby, not a business, so efficiency is not highly valued.
                  I enjoy the building process at least as much as using the end
                  product. Carving this bit of sculpture was rather satisfying on its own.

                  Doug

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...> wrote:
                  > > > New photos in Bolger 5 under "Anti-slap Pad"...
                  >
                  > The pictures show a very neat job of building. Although I'm sure it
                  > will quite the bow somewhat, I wonder if, overall, it might not be
                  > just as easy to build a v-bottom boat in the first place. Or, one that
                  > is v-eed only in the bow.
                  >
                  > Peter

                  Bolger rules!!!

                • dbaldnz
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 9 10:35 PM
                    I think I suggested that too.
                    In order to correct a problem, another difficulty is created, thus
                    cancelling out the original objective.....simplicity.
                    That was certainly the case with Oink, though I have the slight
                    excuse, that the original simplicity turned out to be a
                    liability....boat destructive pounding.
                    DonB

                    http://oink.kiwiwebhost.biz/

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell" <John.Trussell@w...>