Re: Wave Height

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7, 2005
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@r...> wrote:
      > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
      > two feet?
      >
      > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG

      Looks like it could be anywhere from about two to three feet in some
      of the holes to some of the peaks. But so what :-) In a small boat of
      ones own making, this sort of stuff is great for fueling the imaginary
      globe-trotting sailor in most of us.We just have to develope some
      tunnel vision,block out the shoreline,and picture ourselves out in the
      middle of nowhere ticking off the miles to somewhere.Having a nice
      cozy dry cabin filled with food and drink makes the whole scenario all
      the more fun since it also gives us a smug I'm-completely-self-
      sufficient-and-free-from-landlubberly-concerns-catch-me-if-you-can
      feeling inside.
      With the magic of ones own imagination,our "weeks at sea" take a few
      hours and our distant un-inhabited tropical island destination soon
      looms large on our horizon in the form of a marina or boat launch
      ramp.Shifting gears,we enter our marina or launch ramp feeling like
      what we imagine the great ocean adventures must have felt like after a
      rough trans-atlantic or pacific crossing...solo and for the first
      time.Even after the boat is all secured to the quay or trailer,we can
      continue our make-believe scenario by snuggling up inside our warm dry
      cabin,rustling up some warm tasty food,while peering out through rain
      spattled portlights,and thank god we have the wits about us to enjoy
      such games in the first place.
      It sure beats the hell out of even the best day at the office :-)

      Thanks for the neat picture Richard!

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan,who must have circled the globe several times now and
      discovered dozen tropical islands uniquely inhabited by nubile natives
      hungering for a change and all this without ever leaving the realm of
      the mighty St.Lawrence..........talk about cheap vactions!!!