Re: [bolger] Re: 55 foot sharpie

  • craig o'donnell
    Message 1 of 52 , May 3, 2005
      I am compelled to come to the defense of
      this 55 foot sharpie. It is well known that
      the curves of such a boat are not apparent
      on the flatness of paper.

      Here is a rendering of the curves...

      <http://hallman.org/bolger/55footer.gif>http://hallman.org/bolger/55footer.gif
      Beats the CSS Virginia, the Monitor, and almost all Civil War ironclads.

      No uglier than a Thames Barge. Plenty nicer than most powerboats.

      The box-pilothouse could be spiffed up a little if you cared to. Bolger is
      saying "Why bother?"
      --
      Craig O'Donnell
      Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
      Message 52 of 52 , May 9, 2005
        peterlenihan@... writes:

        > Peter Lenihan, who still feels a warm rush of pride when recalling
        > the first time I actually removed and replaced all 4 spark plugs, all
        > on the same day and the darned car started

        This is about as far off-topic as one can get, but I can't restrain myself! I
        still feel the cold sense of chagrin when recalling the first time I changed
        spark plugs.

        My first motorized vehicle with more than 2 wheels was a surplus 1950's
        vintage R(ailway) E(xpress) A(agency?) van-bodied truck with a Canadian Dodge
        flat-head 6.

        I was 16 years old and I had just received a generic automobile repair manual
        as a B-day present from a grandfather. Flush with cash from a summer of
        bagging groceries and mowing lawns, I decided not only to change the plugs, but the
        plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, capacitor and points! There either was no
        fitted plug wire kit for this model at the local parts store, or else the
        "universal" plug wire kit fitted my budget better. (I needed to buy an
        inexpensive timing light and a feeler gauge, too, after all.) The "universal" kit
        consisted of a single length of plug wire, which needed to be cut into individual
        lengths and then have the appropriate terminals crimped on.

        I pulled out the plug wires (not marking any of them, of course), cut the new
        ones to length, crimped on the terminals, changed the rotor, points and
        capacitor and went to install the new wires. Alas, the length of the wires proved a
        less than adequate guide to which plug needed to be attached to which
        terminal on the distributor cap!

        I've forgotten if it took merely lots and lots of hours or lots of days for
        me to get that truck running, but it seemed like forever at the time. A big
        part of my problem was that I could never be sure if the engines inability to run
        was due to improper firing order, improper point gap, improper timing,
        improper something else I did, or whatever ailed to motivate me to do the work in
        the first place.

        There is a lesson to be learned here, but have I learned it? Only at the
        margins, as far as I can tell. I continue to wander through life consoling myself
        with the mantra "Education is expensive!" and only occasionally not wasted!

        Ciao for Niao,
        Bill in MN