Re: Wave Height

  • steelcb
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2005
      Yeah, looks like about 2 ft max. Great sailing weather, great
      conditions. Also looks like you had some fun.

      TomP

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@r...>
      wrote:
      > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
      > two feet?
      >
      > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG
    • seagulloutb
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2005
        That sounds like it, Richard. The old bone-in-her-teeth bit. As I've
        heard from Down Under folks in their great vernacular, "Good on
        you!." But watch out for those Budweiser Tumors -- the over the belt
        sort!

        wrote:
        > That was Schroedinger.
        >
        > She pounded a bit going to weather, and they washed up into the
        motor
        > well when running, but other than that she pretty much ignored
        them.
        > Wind was 14knots plus on the wind meter. Running with motor and
        every
        > stich of sail up, averaged 7-8mph, with the occasional burst to
        8.4mph.

        > Beating we were averaging about 4.5 with the boat self steering,
        about
        > 6 if I took the tiller.
        >
        > Spent about 6 hours going to weather in this, mostly with the
        tiller
        > bungied up and the boat steering itself, while I partook
        budweiser...

        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "seagulloutb" <dickburnham1@a...>
        wrote:
        > > Why, Yes, it looks like about 16" to 2'and maybe a bit more now
        and
        > > then. The boat is your Chebacco? How did it handle the waves?
        I'd

        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2005
          Here is another ugly boat,
          that looks better in three dimensions:

          $100 in New Jersey, a steal.

          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5577920834
        • Hugo Tyson
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2005
            "Skimmer" is cool, a fun and cheap,fast boat that just about everyone could smile at,...but I'm sorry that 55' sharpie is just plain ugly-to the extreme almost! What a joke-she can't be considered beautiful, in anyway to look at, really we all know that Bolger loves extremes, this may be a joke of his to design the ugliest boat that for its purpose that is ultimately usable?? ... and beauty is only skin deep anyway? A weird paradox?.... No, she's ( the 55' live-aoard sharpie) VERY BAD TO THE EYE IN 2D, but she probbly would look a bit better in real life, still ugly though!!

            I don't know, but just the fact on the profile, Bolger's sketched in silhouettes of some other of his designs on that block-like hull he realises that this boat is not an eye-pleaser?...... some camoflague is needed!!!!!!??

            Look, seriously its a practical, motive ,live-aboard home, but maybe I don't think you'd tell anyone where you live if you were living in that craft!!!. Take it to some swamp, strike the masts, dazzle-paint it, and hope no one finds you!@!!

            Phil's designed some of the most beautiful boats and also the most ugliest, but they all have their purposes(whether fullfilled or not - it doesn,t matter, some dreams are shattered by reality!!)

            I'm just expressing my opinions, I still think Bolger is the best Small Boat (150' or smaller ) ever, well with 600-700 designs and innovative concepts, he has to be!
            Sincerely, Hugo Tyson, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
            Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:
            Here is another ugly boat,
            that looks better in three dimensions:

            $100 in New Jersey, a steal.

            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5577920834

            Bolger rules!!!

          • Peter Lenihan
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7, 2005
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@r...> wrote:
              > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
              > two feet?
              >
              > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG

              Looks like it could be anywhere from about two to three feet in some
              of the holes to some of the peaks. But so what :-) In a small boat of
              ones own making, this sort of stuff is great for fueling the imaginary
              globe-trotting sailor in most of us.We just have to develope some
              tunnel vision,block out the shoreline,and picture ourselves out in the
              middle of nowhere ticking off the miles to somewhere.Having a nice
              cozy dry cabin filled with food and drink makes the whole scenario all
              the more fun since it also gives us a smug I'm-completely-self-
              sufficient-and-free-from-landlubberly-concerns-catch-me-if-you-can
              feeling inside.
              With the magic of ones own imagination,our "weeks at sea" take a few
              hours and our distant un-inhabited tropical island destination soon
              looms large on our horizon in the form of a marina or boat launch
              ramp.Shifting gears,we enter our marina or launch ramp feeling like
              what we imagine the great ocean adventures must have felt like after a
              rough trans-atlantic or pacific crossing...solo and for the first
              time.Even after the boat is all secured to the quay or trailer,we can
              continue our make-believe scenario by snuggling up inside our warm dry
              cabin,rustling up some warm tasty food,while peering out through rain
              spattled portlights,and thank god we have the wits about us to enjoy
              such games in the first place.
              It sure beats the hell out of even the best day at the office :-)

              Thanks for the neat picture Richard!

              Sincerely,

              Peter Lenihan,who must have circled the globe several times now and
              discovered dozen tropical islands uniquely inhabited by nubile natives
              hungering for a change and all this without ever leaving the realm of
              the mighty St.Lawrence..........talk about cheap vactions!!!