Re: Wave Height

  • seagulloutb
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2005
      Why, Yes, it looks like about 16" to 2'and maybe a bit more now and
      then. The boat is your Chebacco? How did it handle the waves? I'd
      think that it'd heel and dig in--then scoot perhaps with a reef or
      two. But perhaps that wasn't your Chebacco?

      Dick of Stealing Horses

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@r...> wrote:
      > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
      > two feet?
      >
      > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG
    • Richard Spelling
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2005
        That was Schroedinger.

        She pounded a bit going to weather, and they washed up into the motor
        well when running, but other than that she pretty much ignored them.
        Wind was 14knots plus on the wind meter. Running with motor and every
        stich of sail up, averaged 7-8mph, with the occasional burst to 8.4mph.

        Beating we were averaging about 4.5 with the boat self steering, about
        6 if I took the tiller.

        Spent about 6 hours going to weather in this, mostly with the tiller
        bungied up and the boat steering itself, while I partook budweiser...

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "seagulloutb" <dickburnham1@a...> wrote:
        > Why, Yes, it looks like about 16" to 2'and maybe a bit more now and
        > then. The boat is your Chebacco? How did it handle the waves? I'd
        > think that it'd heel and dig in--then scoot perhaps with a reef or
        > two. But perhaps that wasn't your Chebacco?
        >
        > Dick of Stealing Horses
        >
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@r...>
        wrote:
        > > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
        > > two feet?
        > >
        > > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG
      • steelcb
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2005
          Yeah, looks like about 2 ft max. Great sailing weather, great
          conditions. Also looks like you had some fun.

          TomP

          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2005
            That sounds like it, Richard. The old bone-in-her-teeth bit. As I've
            heard from Down Under folks in their great vernacular, "Good on
            you!." But watch out for those Budweiser Tumors -- the over the belt
            sort!

            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2005
              Here is another ugly boat,
              that looks better in three dimensions:

              $100 in New Jersey, a steal.

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5577920834
            • Hugo Tyson
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                "Skimmer" is cool, a fun and cheap,fast boat that just about everyone could smile at,...but I'm sorry that 55' sharpie is just plain ugly-to the extreme almost! What a joke-she can't be considered beautiful, in anyway to look at, really we all know that Bolger loves extremes, this may be a joke of his to design the ugliest boat that for its purpose that is ultimately usable?? ... and beauty is only skin deep anyway? A weird paradox?.... No, she's ( the 55' live-aoard sharpie) VERY BAD TO THE EYE IN 2D, but she probbly would look a bit better in real life, still ugly though!!

                I don't know, but just the fact on the profile, Bolger's sketched in silhouettes of some other of his designs on that block-like hull he realises that this boat is not an eye-pleaser?...... some camoflague is needed!!!!!!??

                Look, seriously its a practical, motive ,live-aboard home, but maybe I don't think you'd tell anyone where you live if you were living in that craft!!!. Take it to some swamp, strike the masts, dazzle-paint it, and hope no one finds you!@!!

                Phil's designed some of the most beautiful boats and also the most ugliest, but they all have their purposes(whether fullfilled or not - it doesn,t matter, some dreams are shattered by reality!!)

                I'm just expressing my opinions, I still think Bolger is the best Small Boat (150' or smaller ) ever, well with 600-700 designs and innovative concepts, he has to be!
                Sincerely, Hugo Tyson, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
                Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:
                Here is another ugly boat,
                that looks better in three dimensions:

                $100 in New Jersey, a steal.

                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5577920834

                Bolger rules!!!

              • Peter Lenihan
                Message 7 of 11 , May 7, 2005
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@r...> wrote:
                  > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
                  > two feet?
                  >
                  > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG

                  Looks like it could be anywhere from about two to three feet in some
                  of the holes to some of the peaks. But so what :-) In a small boat of
                  ones own making, this sort of stuff is great for fueling the imaginary
                  globe-trotting sailor in most of us.We just have to develope some
                  tunnel vision,block out the shoreline,and picture ourselves out in the
                  middle of nowhere ticking off the miles to somewhere.Having a nice
                  cozy dry cabin filled with food and drink makes the whole scenario all
                  the more fun since it also gives us a smug I'm-completely-self-
                  sufficient-and-free-from-landlubberly-concerns-catch-me-if-you-can
                  feeling inside.
                  With the magic of ones own imagination,our "weeks at sea" take a few
                  hours and our distant un-inhabited tropical island destination soon
                  looms large on our horizon in the form of a marina or boat launch
                  ramp.Shifting gears,we enter our marina or launch ramp feeling like
                  what we imagine the great ocean adventures must have felt like after a
                  rough trans-atlantic or pacific crossing...solo and for the first
                  time.Even after the boat is all secured to the quay or trailer,we can
                  continue our make-believe scenario by snuggling up inside our warm dry
                  cabin,rustling up some warm tasty food,while peering out through rain
                  spattled portlights,and thank god we have the wits about us to enjoy
                  such games in the first place.
                  It sure beats the hell out of even the best day at the office :-)

                  Thanks for the neat picture Richard!

                  Sincerely,

                  Peter Lenihan,who must have circled the globe several times now and
                  discovered dozen tropical islands uniquely inhabited by nubile natives
                  hungering for a change and all this without ever leaving the realm of
                  the mighty St.Lawrence..........talk about cheap vactions!!!