Re: [bolger] Wave Height

  • Roger Derby
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2005
      Why should you be different? Waves are "fractal," like clouds. A little
      one, up close, looks just like a big one at a distance.

      I found out recently that the USCG reports "wave height" as the distance of
      the peak above the mean sea level. Peak to valley is twice that.

      When the waves are significant, one looks up the face of the wave as the
      boat heels, so one measures the diagonal.

      Roger
      derbyrm@...
      http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2005
        Why, Yes, it looks like about 16" to 2'and maybe a bit more now and
        then. The boat is your Chebacco? How did it handle the waves? I'd
        think that it'd heel and dig in--then scoot perhaps with a reef or
        two. But perhaps that wasn't your Chebacco?

        Dick of Stealing Horses

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@r...> wrote:
        > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
        > two feet?
        >
        > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG
      • Richard Spelling
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2005
          That was Schroedinger.

          She pounded a bit going to weather, and they washed up into the motor
          well when running, but other than that she pretty much ignored them.
          Wind was 14knots plus on the wind meter. Running with motor and every
          stich of sail up, averaged 7-8mph, with the occasional burst to 8.4mph.

          Beating we were averaging about 4.5 with the boat self steering, about
          6 if I took the tiller.

          Spent about 6 hours going to weather in this, mostly with the tiller
          bungied up and the boat steering itself, while I partook budweiser...

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "seagulloutb" <dickburnham1@a...> wrote:
          > Why, Yes, it looks like about 16" to 2'and maybe a bit more now and
          > then. The boat is your Chebacco? How did it handle the waves? I'd
          > think that it'd heel and dig in--then scoot perhaps with a reef or
          > two. But perhaps that wasn't your Chebacco?
          >
          > Dick of Stealing Horses
          >
          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@r...>
          wrote:
          > > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
          > > two feet?
          > >
          > > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG
        • steelcb
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2005
            Yeah, looks like about 2 ft max. Great sailing weather, great
            conditions. Also looks like you had some fun.

            TomP

            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2005
              That sounds like it, Richard. The old bone-in-her-teeth bit. As I've
              heard from Down Under folks in their great vernacular, "Good on
              you!." But watch out for those Budweiser Tumors -- the over the belt
              sort!

              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                Here is another ugly boat,
                that looks better in three dimensions:

                $100 in New Jersey, a steal.

                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5577920834
              • Hugo Tyson
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                  "Skimmer" is cool, a fun and cheap,fast boat that just about everyone could smile at,...but I'm sorry that 55' sharpie is just plain ugly-to the extreme almost! What a joke-she can't be considered beautiful, in anyway to look at, really we all know that Bolger loves extremes, this may be a joke of his to design the ugliest boat that for its purpose that is ultimately usable?? ... and beauty is only skin deep anyway? A weird paradox?.... No, she's ( the 55' live-aoard sharpie) VERY BAD TO THE EYE IN 2D, but she probbly would look a bit better in real life, still ugly though!!

                  I don't know, but just the fact on the profile, Bolger's sketched in silhouettes of some other of his designs on that block-like hull he realises that this boat is not an eye-pleaser?...... some camoflague is needed!!!!!!??

                  Look, seriously its a practical, motive ,live-aboard home, but maybe I don't think you'd tell anyone where you live if you were living in that craft!!!. Take it to some swamp, strike the masts, dazzle-paint it, and hope no one finds you!@!!

                  Phil's designed some of the most beautiful boats and also the most ugliest, but they all have their purposes(whether fullfilled or not - it doesn,t matter, some dreams are shattered by reality!!)

                  I'm just expressing my opinions, I still think Bolger is the best Small Boat (150' or smaller ) ever, well with 600-700 designs and innovative concepts, he has to be!
                  Sincerely, Hugo Tyson, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
                  Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:
                  Here is another ugly boat,
                  that looks better in three dimensions:

                  $100 in New Jersey, a steal.

                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5577920834

                  Bolger rules!!!

                • Peter Lenihan
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 7, 2005
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@r...> wrote:
                    > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
                    > two feet?
                    >
                    > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG

                    Looks like it could be anywhere from about two to three feet in some
                    of the holes to some of the peaks. But so what :-) In a small boat of
                    ones own making, this sort of stuff is great for fueling the imaginary
                    globe-trotting sailor in most of us.We just have to develope some
                    tunnel vision,block out the shoreline,and picture ourselves out in the
                    middle of nowhere ticking off the miles to somewhere.Having a nice
                    cozy dry cabin filled with food and drink makes the whole scenario all
                    the more fun since it also gives us a smug I'm-completely-self-
                    sufficient-and-free-from-landlubberly-concerns-catch-me-if-you-can
                    feeling inside.
                    With the magic of ones own imagination,our "weeks at sea" take a few
                    hours and our distant un-inhabited tropical island destination soon
                    looms large on our horizon in the form of a marina or boat launch
                    ramp.Shifting gears,we enter our marina or launch ramp feeling like
                    what we imagine the great ocean adventures must have felt like after a
                    rough trans-atlantic or pacific crossing...solo and for the first
                    time.Even after the boat is all secured to the quay or trailer,we can
                    continue our make-believe scenario by snuggling up inside our warm dry
                    cabin,rustling up some warm tasty food,while peering out through rain
                    spattled portlights,and thank god we have the wits about us to enjoy
                    such games in the first place.
                    It sure beats the hell out of even the best day at the office :-)

                    Thanks for the neat picture Richard!

                    Sincerely,

                    Peter Lenihan,who must have circled the globe several times now and
                    discovered dozen tropical islands uniquely inhabited by nubile natives
                    hungering for a change and all this without ever leaving the realm of
                    the mighty St.Lawrence..........talk about cheap vactions!!!