Re: [bolger] Wave Height

  • craig o'donnell
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2005
      I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
      two feet?

      <http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG>http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG

      I'd say 18 inches to 2 ft max but it's really hard to tell without
      something to provide scale. A small boat (eg sailing canoe) can really be a
      fun ride in 1-2 ft chop on the Chesapeake because it's steep -- whack,
      wham, whump.
      --
      Craig O'Donnell
      Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
    • Will Samson
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2005
        I'm no good at estimating it either, but I think this would have me heading for home. Looks wet and cold!

        Bill
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2005
          Why should you be different? Waves are "fractal," like clouds. A little
          one, up close, looks just like a big one at a distance.

          I found out recently that the USCG reports "wave height" as the distance of
          the peak above the mean sea level. Peak to valley is twice that.

          When the waves are significant, one looks up the face of the wave as the
          boat heels, so one measures the diagonal.

          Roger
          derbyrm@...
          http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2005
            Why, Yes, it looks like about 16" to 2'and maybe a bit more now and
            then. The boat is your Chebacco? How did it handle the waves? I'd
            think that it'd heel and dig in--then scoot perhaps with a reef or
            two. But perhaps that wasn't your Chebacco?

            Dick of Stealing Horses

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@r...> wrote:
            > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
            > two feet?
            >
            > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG
          • Richard Spelling
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2005
              That was Schroedinger.

              She pounded a bit going to weather, and they washed up into the motor
              well when running, but other than that she pretty much ignored them.
              Wind was 14knots plus on the wind meter. Running with motor and every
              stich of sail up, averaged 7-8mph, with the occasional burst to 8.4mph.

              Beating we were averaging about 4.5 with the boat self steering, about
              6 if I took the tiller.

              Spent about 6 hours going to weather in this, mostly with the tiller
              bungied up and the boat steering itself, while I partook budweiser...

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "seagulloutb" <dickburnham1@a...> wrote:
              > Why, Yes, it looks like about 16" to 2'and maybe a bit more now and
              > then. The boat is your Chebacco? How did it handle the waves? I'd
              > think that it'd heel and dig in--then scoot perhaps with a reef or
              > two. But perhaps that wasn't your Chebacco?
              >
              > Dick of Stealing Horses
              >
              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@r...>
              wrote:
              > > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
              > > two feet?
              > >
              > > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG
            • steelcb
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2005
                Yeah, looks like about 2 ft max. Great sailing weather, great
                conditions. Also looks like you had some fun.

                TomP

                wrote:
                > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
                > two feet?
                >
                > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG
              • seagulloutb
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                  That sounds like it, Richard. The old bone-in-her-teeth bit. As I've
                  heard from Down Under folks in their great vernacular, "Good on
                  you!." But watch out for those Budweiser Tumors -- the over the belt
                  sort!

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                    Here is another ugly boat,
                    that looks better in three dimensions:

                    $100 in New Jersey, a steal.

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5577920834
                  • Hugo Tyson
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                      "Skimmer" is cool, a fun and cheap,fast boat that just about everyone could smile at,...but I'm sorry that 55' sharpie is just plain ugly-to the extreme almost! What a joke-she can't be considered beautiful, in anyway to look at, really we all know that Bolger loves extremes, this may be a joke of his to design the ugliest boat that for its purpose that is ultimately usable?? ... and beauty is only skin deep anyway? A weird paradox?.... No, she's ( the 55' live-aoard sharpie) VERY BAD TO THE EYE IN 2D, but she probbly would look a bit better in real life, still ugly though!!

                      I don't know, but just the fact on the profile, Bolger's sketched in silhouettes of some other of his designs on that block-like hull he realises that this boat is not an eye-pleaser?...... some camoflague is needed!!!!!!??

                      Look, seriously its a practical, motive ,live-aboard home, but maybe I don't think you'd tell anyone where you live if you were living in that craft!!!. Take it to some swamp, strike the masts, dazzle-paint it, and hope no one finds you!@!!

                      Phil's designed some of the most beautiful boats and also the most ugliest, but they all have their purposes(whether fullfilled or not - it doesn,t matter, some dreams are shattered by reality!!)

                      I'm just expressing my opinions, I still think Bolger is the best Small Boat (150' or smaller ) ever, well with 600-700 designs and innovative concepts, he has to be!
                      Sincerely, Hugo Tyson, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
                      Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:
                      Here is another ugly boat,
                      that looks better in three dimensions:

                      $100 in New Jersey, a steal.

                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5577920834

                      Bolger rules!!!

                    • Peter Lenihan
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 7, 2005
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@r...> wrote:
                        > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
                        > two feet?
                        >
                        > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG

                        Looks like it could be anywhere from about two to three feet in some
                        of the holes to some of the peaks. But so what :-) In a small boat of
                        ones own making, this sort of stuff is great for fueling the imaginary
                        globe-trotting sailor in most of us.We just have to develope some
                        tunnel vision,block out the shoreline,and picture ourselves out in the
                        middle of nowhere ticking off the miles to somewhere.Having a nice
                        cozy dry cabin filled with food and drink makes the whole scenario all
                        the more fun since it also gives us a smug I'm-completely-self-
                        sufficient-and-free-from-landlubberly-concerns-catch-me-if-you-can
                        feeling inside.
                        With the magic of ones own imagination,our "weeks at sea" take a few
                        hours and our distant un-inhabited tropical island destination soon
                        looms large on our horizon in the form of a marina or boat launch
                        ramp.Shifting gears,we enter our marina or launch ramp feeling like
                        what we imagine the great ocean adventures must have felt like after a
                        rough trans-atlantic or pacific crossing...solo and for the first
                        time.Even after the boat is all secured to the quay or trailer,we can
                        continue our make-believe scenario by snuggling up inside our warm dry
                        cabin,rustling up some warm tasty food,while peering out through rain
                        spattled portlights,and thank god we have the wits about us to enjoy
                        such games in the first place.
                        It sure beats the hell out of even the best day at the office :-)

                        Thanks for the neat picture Richard!

                        Sincerely,

                        Peter Lenihan,who must have circled the globe several times now and
                        discovered dozen tropical islands uniquely inhabited by nubile natives
                        hungering for a change and all this without ever leaving the realm of
                        the mighty St.Lawrence..........talk about cheap vactions!!!