Wave Height

  • Richard Spelling
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2005
      I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
      two feet?

      http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG
    • craig o'donnell
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2005
        I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
        two feet?

        <http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG>http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG

        I'd say 18 inches to 2 ft max but it's really hard to tell without
        something to provide scale. A small boat (eg sailing canoe) can really be a
        fun ride in 1-2 ft chop on the Chesapeake because it's steep -- whack,
        wham, whump.
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
      • Will Samson
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2005
          I'm no good at estimating it either, but I think this would have me heading for home. Looks wet and cold!

          Bill
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2005
            Why should you be different? Waves are "fractal," like clouds. A little
            one, up close, looks just like a big one at a distance.

            I found out recently that the USCG reports "wave height" as the distance of
            the peak above the mean sea level. Peak to valley is twice that.

            When the waves are significant, one looks up the face of the wave as the
            boat heels, so one measures the diagonal.

            Roger
            derbyrm@...
            http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2005
              Why, Yes, it looks like about 16" to 2'and maybe a bit more now and
              then. The boat is your Chebacco? How did it handle the waves? I'd
              think that it'd heel and dig in--then scoot perhaps with a reef or
              two. But perhaps that wasn't your Chebacco?

              Dick of Stealing Horses

              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2005
                That was Schroedinger.

                She pounded a bit going to weather, and they washed up into the motor
                well when running, but other than that she pretty much ignored them.
                Wind was 14knots plus on the wind meter. Running with motor and every
                stich of sail up, averaged 7-8mph, with the occasional burst to 8.4mph.

                Beating we were averaging about 4.5 with the boat self steering, about
                6 if I took the tiller.

                Spent about 6 hours going to weather in this, mostly with the tiller
                bungied up and the boat steering itself, while I partook budweiser...

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "seagulloutb" <dickburnham1@a...> wrote:
                > Why, Yes, it looks like about 16" to 2'and maybe a bit more now and
                > then. The boat is your Chebacco? How did it handle the waves? I'd
                > think that it'd heel and dig in--then scoot perhaps with a reef or
                > two. But perhaps that wasn't your Chebacco?
                >
                > Dick of Stealing Horses
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@r...>
                wrote:
                > > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
                > > two feet?
                > >
                > > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG
              • steelcb
                Message 7 of 11 , May 2, 2005
                  Yeah, looks like about 2 ft max. Great sailing weather, great
                  conditions. Also looks like you had some fun.

                  TomP

                  wrote:
                  > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
                  > two feet?
                  >
                  > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG
                • seagulloutb
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                    That sounds like it, Richard. The old bone-in-her-teeth bit. As I've
                    heard from Down Under folks in their great vernacular, "Good on
                    you!." But watch out for those Budweiser Tumors -- the over the belt
                    sort!

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                      Here is another ugly boat,
                      that looks better in three dimensions:

                      $100 in New Jersey, a steal.

                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5577920834
                    • Hugo Tyson
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                        "Skimmer" is cool, a fun and cheap,fast boat that just about everyone could smile at,...but I'm sorry that 55' sharpie is just plain ugly-to the extreme almost! What a joke-she can't be considered beautiful, in anyway to look at, really we all know that Bolger loves extremes, this may be a joke of his to design the ugliest boat that for its purpose that is ultimately usable?? ... and beauty is only skin deep anyway? A weird paradox?.... No, she's ( the 55' live-aoard sharpie) VERY BAD TO THE EYE IN 2D, but she probbly would look a bit better in real life, still ugly though!!

                        I don't know, but just the fact on the profile, Bolger's sketched in silhouettes of some other of his designs on that block-like hull he realises that this boat is not an eye-pleaser?...... some camoflague is needed!!!!!!??

                        Look, seriously its a practical, motive ,live-aboard home, but maybe I don't think you'd tell anyone where you live if you were living in that craft!!!. Take it to some swamp, strike the masts, dazzle-paint it, and hope no one finds you!@!!

                        Phil's designed some of the most beautiful boats and also the most ugliest, but they all have their purposes(whether fullfilled or not - it doesn,t matter, some dreams are shattered by reality!!)

                        I'm just expressing my opinions, I still think Bolger is the best Small Boat (150' or smaller ) ever, well with 600-700 designs and innovative concepts, he has to be!
                        Sincerely, Hugo Tyson, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
                        Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:
                        Here is another ugly boat,
                        that looks better in three dimensions:

                        $100 in New Jersey, a steal.

                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5577920834

                        Bolger rules!!!

                      • Peter Lenihan
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 7, 2005
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@r...> wrote:
                          > I'm notoriously bad at estimating wave height. Whatcha think, about
                          > two feet?
                          >
                          > http://www.richardspelling.com/temp/P1010013.JPG

                          Looks like it could be anywhere from about two to three feet in some
                          of the holes to some of the peaks. But so what :-) In a small boat of
                          ones own making, this sort of stuff is great for fueling the imaginary
                          globe-trotting sailor in most of us.We just have to develope some
                          tunnel vision,block out the shoreline,and picture ourselves out in the
                          middle of nowhere ticking off the miles to somewhere.Having a nice
                          cozy dry cabin filled with food and drink makes the whole scenario all
                          the more fun since it also gives us a smug I'm-completely-self-
                          sufficient-and-free-from-landlubberly-concerns-catch-me-if-you-can
                          feeling inside.
                          With the magic of ones own imagination,our "weeks at sea" take a few
                          hours and our distant un-inhabited tropical island destination soon
                          looms large on our horizon in the form of a marina or boat launch
                          ramp.Shifting gears,we enter our marina or launch ramp feeling like
                          what we imagine the great ocean adventures must have felt like after a
                          rough trans-atlantic or pacific crossing...solo and for the first
                          time.Even after the boat is all secured to the quay or trailer,we can
                          continue our make-believe scenario by snuggling up inside our warm dry
                          cabin,rustling up some warm tasty food,while peering out through rain
                          spattled portlights,and thank god we have the wits about us to enjoy
                          such games in the first place.
                          It sure beats the hell out of even the best day at the office :-)

                          Thanks for the neat picture Richard!

                          Sincerely,

                          Peter Lenihan,who must have circled the globe several times now and
                          discovered dozen tropical islands uniquely inhabited by nubile natives
                          hungering for a change and all this without ever leaving the realm of
                          the mighty St.Lawrence..........talk about cheap vactions!!!