Re: [bolger] Re: old Birdwatcher web site

  • Will Samson
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2005
      AFAIK Peter isn't tuning into the list any more.

      He didn't much like the BW (beautifully made though it was) and seldom sailed it. It mouldered on its trailer for a few seasons. Scotland's probably not the place for this kinda boat. A BW2 might have been marginally better, but probably still not a great choice for an area where wine-glass sections and heavy displacement are the norm on the local traditional craft.

      I believe it's now owned by a woman who sails her on Loch Tummel, from time to time - though I've never seen it on the water there.

      Bill
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2005
        Paul

        I would be grateful for any information you may have. I am constantly
        thinking about building one. Maybe a dose of reality would cure me.
        Thank you.

        I've rehabbed a Birdwatcher and might be able to answer some Q's.

        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2005
          Craig, I'd be interested in hearing of your experiences sailing the
          BW. I have WB 179 with Mason Smith's write up as well as the August
          and Sept 2004 MAIBs dedicated to the BW in "Bolger on Design." I was
          not attracted to the BW until I saw pics of it in WB -- looks much
          better than the drawings can communicate. I keep wondering if that
          particular boat might not be a good candidate for sailing on the
          Great Lakes. I could have been sailing by now despite the cold and 35
          degree water!

          Dennis

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, craig o'donnell <dadadata@f...> wrote:
          > Paul
          >
          > I would be grateful for any information you may have. I am
          constantly
          > thinking about building one. Maybe a dose of reality would cure me.
          > Thank you.
          >
          > I've rehabbed a Birdwatcher and might be able to answer some Q's.
          >
          > --
          > Craig O'Donnell
          > Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
          > <http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/>
          > The Proa FAQ <http://boat-links.com/proafaq.html>
          > The Cheap Pages <http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/>
          > Sailing Canoes, Polytarp Sails, Bamboo, Chinese
          Junks,
          > American Proas, the Bolger Boat Honor Roll,
          > Plywood Boats, Bamboo Rafts, &c.
        • craig o'donnell
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2005
            Craig, I'd be interested in hearing of your experiences sailing the
            BW. I have WB 179 with Mason Smith's write up as well as the August
            and Sept 2004 MAIBs dedicated to the BW in "Bolger on Design." I was
            not attracted to the BW until I saw pics of it in WB -- looks much
            better than the drawings can communicate. I keep wondering if that
            particular boat might not be a good candidate for sailing on the
            Great Lakes. I could have been sailing by now despite the cold and 35
            degree water!

            Dennis

            I can address rowing (ungainly) but this is the first summer she'll be
            rigged. The boat is far more attractive in person than in drawings -- no
            question there.