Re: old Birdwatcher web site

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 30, 2005
      My web site is poorly organized but here is a link to the Aeneas' BW.

      http://www.geocities.com/kayaker37/Aeneas_Birdwatcher.html

      > I shouldn't continue badgering you with questions but what is your web
      > site called so we can see this glass BW? Thanks again.
    • Will Samson
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1 8:13 AM
        AFAIK Peter isn't tuning into the list any more.

        He didn't much like the BW (beautifully made though it was) and seldom sailed it. It mouldered on its trailer for a few seasons. Scotland's probably not the place for this kinda boat. A BW2 might have been marginally better, but probably still not a great choice for an area where wine-glass sections and heavy displacement are the norm on the local traditional craft.

        I believe it's now owned by a woman who sails her on Loch Tummel, from time to time - though I've never seen it on the water there.

        Bill
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1 6:05 PM
          Paul

          I would be grateful for any information you may have. I am constantly
          thinking about building one. Maybe a dose of reality would cure me.
          Thank you.

          I've rehabbed a Birdwatcher and might be able to answer some Q's.

          --
          Craig O'Donnell
          Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
        • Dennis
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2 5:38 AM
            Craig, I'd be interested in hearing of your experiences sailing the
            BW. I have WB 179 with Mason Smith's write up as well as the August
            and Sept 2004 MAIBs dedicated to the BW in "Bolger on Design." I was
            not attracted to the BW until I saw pics of it in WB -- looks much
            better than the drawings can communicate. I keep wondering if that
            particular boat might not be a good candidate for sailing on the
            Great Lakes. I could have been sailing by now despite the cold and 35
            degree water!

            Dennis

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, craig o'donnell <dadadata@f...> wrote:
            > Paul
            >
            > I would be grateful for any information you may have. I am
            constantly
            > thinking about building one. Maybe a dose of reality would cure me.
            > Thank you.
            >
            > I've rehabbed a Birdwatcher and might be able to answer some Q's.
            >
            > --
            > Craig O'Donnell
            > Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
            > <http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/>
            > The Proa FAQ <http://boat-links.com/proafaq.html>
            > The Cheap Pages <http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/>
            > Sailing Canoes, Polytarp Sails, Bamboo, Chinese
            Junks,
            > American Proas, the Bolger Boat Honor Roll,
            > Plywood Boats, Bamboo Rafts, &c.
          • craig o'donnell
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2 5:45 PM
              Craig, I'd be interested in hearing of your experiences sailing the
              BW. I have WB 179 with Mason Smith's write up as well as the August
              and Sept 2004 MAIBs dedicated to the BW in "Bolger on Design." I was
              not attracted to the BW until I saw pics of it in WB -- looks much
              better than the drawings can communicate. I keep wondering if that
              particular boat might not be a good candidate for sailing on the
              Great Lakes. I could have been sailing by now despite the cold and 35
              degree water!

              Dennis

              I can address rowing (ungainly) but this is the first summer she'll be
              rigged. The boat is far more attractive in person than in drawings -- no
              question there.