old Birdwatcher web site

  • max56537
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 29, 2005
      There are bits and pieces of a web site that a Peter Bevans from
      Scotland had concerning building and launching one of the first BW's.
      The pieces can be found using the Wayback Machine. Some text portions
      can be retrieved but I can not find the pictures. The site orginally
      was www.sharpie.u-net.com.

      Does anybody have those pictures somewhere that they could share?

      Thank you.
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 30, 2005
        He had put the website up on another server for a while, I have that
        backed up. I'm running out the door, let me know if you still need
        them, or if I should post the old site up somewhere long enough for
        you to copy everything.

        Hopefully Peter won't mind.

        Paul

        > Does anybody have those pictures somewhere that they could share?
        >
        > Thank you.
      • max56537
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 30, 2005
          Paul

          I would be grateful for any information you may have. I am constantly
          thinking about building one. Maybe a dose of reality would cure me.
          Thank you.
          -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <kayaker37@h...> wrote:

          > He had put the website up on another server for a while, I have that
          > backed up. I'm running out the door, let me know if you still need
          > them, or if I should post the old site up somewhere long enough for
          > you to copy everything.
          >
          > Hopefully Peter won't mind.
          >
          > Paul
          >
          > > Does anybody have those pictures somewhere that they could share?
          > >
          > > Thank you.
        • Paul
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 30, 2005
            I zipped up the backup and put it in bolger5 files section. I'll
            delete after a week or so. The hi res pics are in individual folders.

            Paul

            > Does anybody have those pictures somewhere that they could share?
            >
            > Thank you.
          • Paul
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 30, 2005
            • max56537
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 30, 2005
                One picture=thousand words. Alot of visual information. Does Peter
                Bevans still have his BW? Did Bolger's ideas work in this case? Was it
                enjoyable to sail? If this one was lost would he build another? Peter
                are you out there?

                Thank you Paul.
                --

                - In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <kayaker37@h...> wrote:
                > Didn't work try this:

                20Birdwatcher/

                > Paul
              • Paul
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 30, 2005
                  The boat was up for sale at one point and was in need of some TLC. If
                  my memory serves me correctly someone was possibly going to make an
                  offer for it, I do not know what happened to it.
                  > Does Peter Bevans still have his BW?

                  I had posted some reviews in this group of Mason's boat that was at
                  the Wooden Boat Show last year that was featured in Woodenboat
                  magazine at around the same time. He took the opportunity to sell it
                  recently, and the person who bought it is located about twenty minutes
                  from me. Guess I should give him a follow up call to see if he took
                  delivery of it yet. I also have a fiberglass BW reviewed by the
                  builder/owner on my web site who has probably used his boat the most
                  of anyone I know.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 30, 2005
                    I shouldn't continue badgering you with questions but what is your web
                    site called so we can see this glass BW? Thanks again.

                    -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <kayaker37@h...> wrote:

                    > The boat was up for sale at one point and was in need of some TLC. If
                    > my memory serves me correctly someone was possibly going to make an
                    > offer for it, I do not know what happened to it.
                    > > Does Peter Bevans still have his BW?
                    >
                    > I had posted some reviews in this group of Mason's boat that was at
                    > the Wooden Boat Show last year that was featured in Woodenboat
                    > magazine at around the same time. He took the opportunity to sell it
                    > recently, and the person who bought it is located about twenty minutes
                    > from me. Guess I should give him a follow up call to see if he took
                    > delivery of it yet. I also have a fiberglass BW reviewed by the
                    > builder/owner on my web site who has probably used his boat the most
                    > of anyone I know.
                    > >Did Bolger's ideas work in this case?
                    >
                    > Paul
                  • Paul
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 30, 2005
                      My web site is poorly organized but here is a link to the Aeneas' BW.

                      http://www.geocities.com/kayaker37/Aeneas_Birdwatcher.html

                      > I shouldn't continue badgering you with questions but what is your web
                      > site called so we can see this glass BW? Thanks again.
                    • Will Samson
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 1, 2005
                        AFAIK Peter isn't tuning into the list any more.

                        He didn't much like the BW (beautifully made though it was) and seldom sailed it. It mouldered on its trailer for a few seasons. Scotland's probably not the place for this kinda boat. A BW2 might have been marginally better, but probably still not a great choice for an area where wine-glass sections and heavy displacement are the norm on the local traditional craft.

                        I believe it's now owned by a woman who sails her on Loch Tummel, from time to time - though I've never seen it on the water there.

                        Bill
                        One picture=thousand words. Alot of visual information. Does Peter
                        Bevans still have his BW? Did Bolger's ideas work in this case? Was it
                        enjoyable to sail? If this one was lost would he build another?

                      • craig o'donnell
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 1, 2005
                          Paul

                          I would be grateful for any information you may have. I am constantly
                          thinking about building one. Maybe a dose of reality would cure me.
                          Thank you.

                          I've rehabbed a Birdwatcher and might be able to answer some Q's.

                          --
                          Craig O'Donnell
                          Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
                        • Dennis
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                            Craig, I'd be interested in hearing of your experiences sailing the
                            BW. I have WB 179 with Mason Smith's write up as well as the August
                            and Sept 2004 MAIBs dedicated to the BW in "Bolger on Design." I was
                            not attracted to the BW until I saw pics of it in WB -- looks much
                            better than the drawings can communicate. I keep wondering if that
                            particular boat might not be a good candidate for sailing on the
                            Great Lakes. I could have been sailing by now despite the cold and 35
                            degree water!

                            Dennis

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, craig o'donnell <dadadata@f...> wrote:
                            > Paul
                            >
                            > I would be grateful for any information you may have. I am
                            constantly
                            > thinking about building one. Maybe a dose of reality would cure me.
                            > Thank you.
                            >
                            > I've rehabbed a Birdwatcher and might be able to answer some Q's.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Craig O'Donnell
                            > Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
                            > <http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/>
                            > The Proa FAQ <http://boat-links.com/proafaq.html>
                            > The Cheap Pages <http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/>
                            > Sailing Canoes, Polytarp Sails, Bamboo, Chinese
                            Junks,
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                              Craig, I'd be interested in hearing of your experiences sailing the
                              BW. I have WB 179 with Mason Smith's write up as well as the August
                              and Sept 2004 MAIBs dedicated to the BW in "Bolger on Design." I was
                              not attracted to the BW until I saw pics of it in WB -- looks much
                              better than the drawings can communicate. I keep wondering if that
                              particular boat might not be a good candidate for sailing on the
                              Great Lakes. I could have been sailing by now despite the cold and 35
                              degree water!

                              Dennis

                              I can address rowing (ungainly) but this is the first summer she'll be
                              rigged. The boat is far more attractive in person than in drawings -- no
                              question there.