[bolger] Re: Tapaz

  • CPCorreia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 1999
      Brad,

      I would love to see the basic lines of the topaz. Could you e-mail them to
      me, or are they available to look at on the net?

      Also, I am a big fan of Wharram and would love to hear more about your
      experiences. I am currently thinking about a Tiki 30. I would love to build
      it, but time constraints will probably force me to have it built. I have a
      couple of bids out to Thialand and Africa. The Tiki 30 would be $30,000,
      built in Thailand, no price yet from Africa. Did you ever sail your Wharram?
      What did you think?

      All the best,
      Chuck.
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 1999
        Chuck:

        Click here: http://www.egroups.com/docvault/bolger/Topaz then click on
        Topaz.gif to see the Topaz lines.

        I have always liked the Wharram cats too, but most multihull enthusiasts
        turn their noses up at them.

        Chuck

      • sailormon@torchlake.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 1999
          "chuck leinweber" <duckwork-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=432
          > Chuck:
          >
          > Click here: http://www.egroups.com/docvault/bolger/Topaz then click
          on
          > Topaz.gif to see the Topaz lines.
          >
          > I have always liked the Wharram cats too, but most multihull
          enthusiasts
          > turn their noses up at them.
          >
          > Chuck
          >
          > > Brad,
          > >
          > > I would love to see the basic lines of the topaz. Could you e-mail
          them
          > > me, or are they available to look at on the net?
          > >
          > > Also, I am a big fan of Wharram and would love to hear more about
          your
          > > experiences. I am currently thinking about a Tiki 30. I would
          love to
          > build
          > > it, but time constraints will probably force me to have it built.
          I have
          > > couple of bids out to Thialand and Africa. The Tiki 30 would be
          $30,000,
          > > built in Thailand, no price yet from Africa. Did you ever sail your
          > Wharram?
          > > What did you think?
          > >
          > > All the best,
          > > Chuck.
          > >Cuck, see above for the lines of the Topaz and thanks Chuck. Sounds
          redundant huh.
          As to the wharram, yes I sailed her off and on for 4-5 years. To say I
          loved the boat would be untrue. But then I pushed her to extremes. I
          was primarily a single hander with no crew and an idealist. For
          expample to remain a purest, I had no radio, lanterns for running
          lights and a silly 5hp english motor with a pull start. This never
          started when needed and then would power only going with the wind. To
          make matters worse, I made my own sails of canvas sail cloth and they
          were chinese junk. The masts were cut spruce trees which according to
          Wharram were ok. Not true, I was demasted twice. The last just after
          going under the mackinac bridge and nearly lost the boat on the rocks
          as large waves kept the little motor submerged. I did have a friend
          aboard whom I asked to bring a gabage bag to me. This works well to
          start silly little engines in. You just cover it and reach through and
          pull the string. Lesson, you can't come around with just a mizzen. On
          the other hand I learned the most from this boat. When I was
          delivering her for the last sail to another port, we took a pouning
          that kept all other boats off lake michigan. After all night of this
          and part of the day I took her into hog island on the lee side. This
          is almost an impossibility do to the rocks. Shallow draft has it's
          merits. The boat was fine, we the crew could take no more. Would she
          go to wind, no. But that was no fault of the boat, but the sails and
          the early design. She was then delivered down the Missippi river and
          made it all the way to Florida where I lost track of her. I have seen
          a few old ones like here when sailing down there and can't help
          wonder?????
          Would I recommend one of the Tiki's. I think so, as much of the early
          problems seem to be addressed. Lastly, stay with a proven rig, and get
          as large a motor as you are comfortable with, like a honda 25 min. I
          was blessed to have my boat survive my owning her and have many scary
          tales to pass along if interested. Good sailing, Brad