Re: [bolger] Freezing inserted parts, was Re: mast welding

  • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 6 1:31 PM
      At your work the temperature differential between the cold bushings and the
      room-temperature steel is sufficient for the purpose, but if it isn't,
      heating the steel will make the holes _larger_ as the steel expands. I know
      this from experience, not just from common sense, from removing and
      installing bearing races, rocker spindles, gudgeon pins and other
      paraphernalia in car and motorcycle engines.

      On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:47:22 -0000, Wayne wrote:
      > Yes, freezing with dry ice works. Or at least it works for bronze
      > bushings in steel plates where I am employed.
      >
      > The machinist turns the bushings 10 or 20 thousandths over size and
      > freezes them overnight in dry ice. Next morning he drops the bushings
      > in their holes in ROOM TEMPERATURE steel. By lunchtime they are quite
      > snug. Do not heat the larger piece! The hole will expand and the forzen
      > piece won't fit OR when the heated piece cools the hole will be too big.

      John <jkohnen@...>
      http://www.boat-links.com/
      I Can't take a well-tanned person seriously. <Cleveland Amory>