Re: [bolger] Capsize

  • ANDREW AIREY
    Message 1 of 45 , Apr 5, 2005
      Would a flat bottomed boat like a sharpie survive
      better.If the yacht had a conventional keel then it
      would roll on that as soon as it grounded.
      Cheers
      Andy Airey
      --- wmrpage@... wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      In a message dated 4/4/05 10:06:59 AM Central Daylight
      Time,
      bruce@... writes:

      > Which Bolger boats would have survived a
      > similar experience, and how?

      I think that any vessel caught in a wave
      breaking against a shore is a
      goner, the actual mechanism of final failure being a
      matter of little
      interest. Whether or not this boat flooded by its
      cockpit, it was out of control and
      effectively lost even before it first rolled and lost
      its mast. No matter what
      the size or construction of a vessel in this
      predicament, there is only one
      possible outcome - the boat or ship will be driven
      ashore and pounded to pieces
      and/or buried in the sand. Designing a boat to survive
      these conditions would
      be akin to designing a capsule to go over Niagara
      Falls.

      IMHO, These photos demonstrate a gross failure
      of navigation and/or
      judgment, not any defect in the boat. The boat may
      have been less seaworthy than
      some of Bolger's designs, but the only difference in
      the end is that one
      leaves shards of fiberglass, while the other leaves
      shards of plywood.

      Ciao for Niao,
      Bill in MN

      Bolger rules!!!
      - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging
      dead horses
      - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed,
      thanks, Fred' posts
      - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
      and snip away
      - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
      Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
      - Open discussion:
      bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Terms of Service.

    • Gene T.
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 10, 2005
        The idea is to avoid the splinters. Just to make the
        boat smell good.

        Gene T.