Re: [bolger] Capsize

  • Roger Derby
    Message 1 of 45 , Apr 4, 2005
      I believe it was Chapman's "Piloting, Seamanship, and Small Boat Handling"
      that suggests strongly that one STAY OUT OF BREAKING INLETS and accompanies
      the advice with a photograph of a large Coast Guard Cutter being hurled thru
      the air. I doubt any small sail boat could have survived the conditions
      pictured.

      Was the boat pictured in the channel? I'd always associated that sort of
      surf with beaches, but I've heard tell of the bad effects when wind and
      current are in opposition.

      Roger
      derbyrm@...
      http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 10, 2005
        The idea is to avoid the splinters. Just to make the
        boat smell good.

        Gene T.