Re: Cartoon 40?

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005
      G'day Gary, thanks for your reply. Very interesting. Did you go for
      the complete single-luff spinnaker rig? If so, how did it perform on
      reach? How did it perform when tacking or gybing?

      Best regards
      graeme

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gbship" <gbship@c...> wrote:

      > Graeme: Sorry for the delay in replying; just got back from a two-
      week
      > vacation. First let me correct a mistake in my last post, which was
      > written before rereading the SBJ article. The plans in the article
      are
      > complete, including mast scantlings (although I eventually went to
      an
      > aluminum tube mast when I installed a tabernacle).
      >
      > I did talk to Phil about the design and he suggested a Chebacco
      might
      > be better, but I was stuck on the catboat, and I'm glad I stuck
      with
      > it. He did not specify scantlings, those are left up to the
      builder....
    • gbship
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2005
        Graeme: Alas, I never did get or use a single luff spinnaker. Always
        wanted to, but never got it done. I think if I were, I would get a
        polytarp one to try out and see how it worked. So I can't speak to
        performance and ease of handling with one. Without the single luff
        sail, it handled well, steady on the helm but turning on a dime and
        keeping its momentum well in a tack. A paragon.

        Gary

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@y...>