Re: [bolger] Caulking stuff

  • wmrpage@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 3, 2005
      In a message dated 4/2/05 11:06:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
      clydewis@... writes:

      > 5200 is very strong and hard when dry, and you can sand it and
      > paint it. Clyde

      3M 5200 is also a terrific adhesive, as I believe someone has already noted.
      It is not something you would want to use on any two pieces of wood you might
      someday want to separate, e.g. if the boat owner decides that the boat is a
      keeper and wants to rectify some of deficiencies in joinery in the future. It
      sounds to me like the original inquiry was more concerned about limiting water
      infiltration and enhancing the cosmetics.

      Without knowing anything about anything, I think my inclination would be to
      look for products that painters use when doing wood siding - 1) it would be the
      kind of stuff that Home Despot, Menards, etc. stock; 2) it would be
      formulated for its ease of use and cosmetic properties, rather than adhesion; 3) it
      would have been developed for a much larger, more lucrative market than any
      boating product and probably benefits from more R&D. Mind you, I have no idea what
      house painters use for what, but I think I'd ask one.

      Ciao for Niao
      Bill in MN
      (contemplating my latest deficiencies in wood joiner)

    • hal
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
        The theme of the responses seemed to be it doesn't matter
        what you use.

        One of my constraints is that I want the decks to be
        removable.

        One suggestion was to use peanut butter, however the
        only peanut butter I had was crunchy so that was out.

        Going with the theme of "use what you have laying
        around" I chose left over rain gutter caulk. I had
        only enough to do the bow which was a blessing in
        disguise. Can you say mess of the century?
        If this stuff wont sand I am going to have a one mile
        finish on my Teal. In ten minutes I managed to caulk
        35% of my body and most of the garage. The Teal fared
        a little better.

        For the stern I tried tub and tile caulk. I am going
        to have to repaint the caulked areas anyway, see below,
        so sun resistance was not too important in the end. This
        was easier than the rain gutter stuff to apply. Erroneously
        thinking I could actually get a smooth finish I tried the
        old wet finder trick. This caused the caulk to form lumps
        so I will be sanding and painting fore and aft.

        I am in awe of you who can actually do this correctly.

        hal, the caulking challenged, from snowy northern Utah.
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
          > I am in awe of you who can actually do this correctly.
          > hal,

          I don't think you are describing anyone around here.

          Liberal use of masking tape helps a little.

          Disposable 'one use' cardboard 'coving tools'
          you make with a sissors can help too.
        • hal
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
            On Apr 4, 2005, at 9:39 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

            > Liberal use of masking tape helps a little.
            >
            > Disposable 'one use' cardboard 'coving tools'
            > you make with a sissors can help too.

            Oh sure?! Now you tell me.

            hal
          • Bruce Hector
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, hal <hl700@c...> wrote:
              "In ten minutes I managed to caulk 35% of my body and most of the
              garage. The Teal fared a little better."

              Good work Hal,

              Did you hear the story about the engineer with two degeres who used
              expanding foam in the air chambers of his beautiful strip built
              canoe....

              Believe me, it can get far worse.

              Bruce Hector
              http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/1000IslandFunRowers/
              A group for fun or touring rowing I'm trying to get going here in
              Kingston now that the water has (mostly) thawed.
            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, hal <hl700@c...> wrote:
                > One of my constraints is that I want the decks to be
                > removable.

                Hi Hal,

                I must have missed something along the way but I did not know the
                TEAL even had a deck(s)......I do recall it having just a few slates
                to hold the prescribed floatation in place but otherwise deckfree.
                Perhaps you WANT to have a deck(s) instead of slates and if that
                is the case,the deck is so teeny why even make it removable at all
                when it amounts to just a big breasthook anyway and that is
                something you'd want solidly anchored in place :-)
                Access bellow can be assured through openings easily made through
                whatever bulkhead(s) you would place inboard to support the upper
                aft edge of the "deck".
                Hope this makes sense, as I can hardly understand it myself :-)
                Sorry to read about the mess with caulking goop.Aim for solid boat
                boatbuilding and not dismountable boats.............:-D

                Sincerely,

                Peter "quit caulking around" Lenihan,halfway through the aft
                stateroom and making plans for the roof beintôt,from along the banks
                of the St.Lawrence.........