Re: Caulking stuff

  • Bryant Owen
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
      Actually Bruce the one I helped assemble was caulked minutes before
      launching. It wasn't until it was in the water did we realize that
      we'd used water soluble latex caulking instead of, well, something
      else. I'd like to believe that if the caulk had had a time to "cure"
      it would've been OK.

      Heck, it made a great breakfast table.

      Bryant

    • wmrpage@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 3, 2005
        In a message dated 4/2/05 11:06:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
        clydewis@... writes:

        > 5200 is very strong and hard when dry, and you can sand it and
        > paint it. Clyde

        3M 5200 is also a terrific adhesive, as I believe someone has already noted.
        It is not something you would want to use on any two pieces of wood you might
        someday want to separate, e.g. if the boat owner decides that the boat is a
        keeper and wants to rectify some of deficiencies in joinery in the future. It
        sounds to me like the original inquiry was more concerned about limiting water
        infiltration and enhancing the cosmetics.

        Without knowing anything about anything, I think my inclination would be to
        look for products that painters use when doing wood siding - 1) it would be the
        kind of stuff that Home Despot, Menards, etc. stock; 2) it would be
        formulated for its ease of use and cosmetic properties, rather than adhesion; 3) it
        would have been developed for a much larger, more lucrative market than any
        boating product and probably benefits from more R&D. Mind you, I have no idea what
        house painters use for what, but I think I'd ask one.

        Ciao for Niao
        Bill in MN
        (contemplating my latest deficiencies in wood joiner)

      • hal
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
          The theme of the responses seemed to be it doesn't matter
          what you use.

          One of my constraints is that I want the decks to be
          removable.

          One suggestion was to use peanut butter, however the
          only peanut butter I had was crunchy so that was out.

          Going with the theme of "use what you have laying
          around" I chose left over rain gutter caulk. I had
          only enough to do the bow which was a blessing in
          disguise. Can you say mess of the century?
          If this stuff wont sand I am going to have a one mile
          finish on my Teal. In ten minutes I managed to caulk
          35% of my body and most of the garage. The Teal fared
          a little better.

          For the stern I tried tub and tile caulk. I am going
          to have to repaint the caulked areas anyway, see below,
          so sun resistance was not too important in the end. This
          was easier than the rain gutter stuff to apply. Erroneously
          thinking I could actually get a smooth finish I tried the
          old wet finder trick. This caused the caulk to form lumps
          so I will be sanding and painting fore and aft.

          I am in awe of you who can actually do this correctly.

          hal, the caulking challenged, from snowy northern Utah.
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
            > I am in awe of you who can actually do this correctly.
            > hal,

            I don't think you are describing anyone around here.

            Liberal use of masking tape helps a little.

            Disposable 'one use' cardboard 'coving tools'
            you make with a sissors can help too.
          • hal
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
              On Apr 4, 2005, at 9:39 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

              > Liberal use of masking tape helps a little.
              >
              > Disposable 'one use' cardboard 'coving tools'
              > you make with a sissors can help too.

              Oh sure?! Now you tell me.

              hal
            • Bruce Hector
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, hal <hl700@c...> wrote:
                "In ten minutes I managed to caulk 35% of my body and most of the
                garage. The Teal fared a little better."

                Good work Hal,

                Did you hear the story about the engineer with two degeres who used
                expanding foam in the air chambers of his beautiful strip built
                canoe....

                Believe me, it can get far worse.

                Bruce Hector
                http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/1000IslandFunRowers/
                A group for fun or touring rowing I'm trying to get going here in
                Kingston now that the water has (mostly) thawed.
              • Peter Lenihan
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, hal <hl700@c...> wrote:
                  > One of my constraints is that I want the decks to be
                  > removable.

                  Hi Hal,

                  I must have missed something along the way but I did not know the
                  TEAL even had a deck(s)......I do recall it having just a few slates
                  to hold the prescribed floatation in place but otherwise deckfree.
                  Perhaps you WANT to have a deck(s) instead of slates and if that
                  is the case,the deck is so teeny why even make it removable at all
                  when it amounts to just a big breasthook anyway and that is
                  something you'd want solidly anchored in place :-)
                  Access bellow can be assured through openings easily made through
                  whatever bulkhead(s) you would place inboard to support the upper
                  aft edge of the "deck".
                  Hope this makes sense, as I can hardly understand it myself :-)
                  Sorry to read about the mess with caulking goop.Aim for solid boat
                  boatbuilding and not dismountable boats.............:-D

                  Sincerely,

                  Peter "quit caulking around" Lenihan,halfway through the aft
                  stateroom and making plans for the roof beintôt,from along the banks
                  of the St.Lawrence.........