Re: [bolger] Re: Inexpensive ourboard power!

  • Clyde Wisner
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
      John Cupp wrote:

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Stewart" <stewtone@m...> wrote:

      John, I'm glad to hear about the stainless model Briggs. Hope it is not
      exhorbitant. I need a small motor for my little Freedom. Clyde
    • John Spoering
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
        Hi All - -

        The stainless model sounds very interesting - Anyone know who retails
        these B&S outboards ? ? ?

        Aloha - Jack - Florida

        (978) 282-1349
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • doug6949
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
          Our local lawnmower shop carries them. I suppose any B&S authorized
          agent could get one.

          Doug

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Spoering" <spoering@e...> wrote:

          > The stainless model sounds very interesting - Anyone know who
          > retails these B&S outboards ? ? ?
        • Zack Tiger
          Message 4 of 17 , May 6, 2005
            I just purchased a B&S 5hp outboard to use on my 17'
            square stern canoe. This may seem like a lot of motor
            for a canoe, but she is 42" wide, and as stable as a
            pontoon boat!
            I love this motor! Light weight, easy starting, very
            quiet, no mussing with oil mixes, etc., etc. It comes
            with a 3 gallon fuel tank, and is available in either
            black finish, or "Marshland Camo". Retail price is
            $749 for black and $849 for camo.
            Website is
            http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docid=76403
            The engine is EPA-CARB compliant,for all of us
            environmentally concerned types, has electronic
            ignition and is warrantied for two years.
            Forward/reverse engagement is positive, with no gear
            clashing. Any local Briggs lawn and garden dealer can
            get it for you. (It took mine two days to come in, and
            cost me $995 CDN dollars for the black unit). She
            starts first rip every time.
            Thanks,Shawn

            Yahoo! Mail
          • Wesley Cox
            Message 5 of 17 , May 8, 2005
              I've given serious thought to the same motor. The price is right,
              especially for B&S and 4 stroke and the power is right for my needs. My
              concern is the noise of an air cooled outboard. I've read reports from
              'they sound like a lawn mower on water' to very quiet and have yet to
              find a retailer willing to let me hear one running. If you don't mind,
              can you give your opinion of the noise level relative to a water cooled
              outboard? Just as quiet? Thanks.

            • John Cupp
              Message 6 of 17 , May 8, 2005
                Hi Guys,

                If you're a member of Duckworks you can read my review of the 5 HP
                Briggs and Stratton. I have a Honda 10 hp and the Briggs 5 HP that
                when running together you ca not tell the sound difference in
                decibels. The Honda costs considerably more, has a counter
                rotating balancing shaft to control vibration and is water cooled..
                But in some ways the Briggs beats the Honda! The Honda takes at
                least two pulls to start most of the time but it does start. The
                Briggs engine starts on the first pull and is quiet. In five below
                weather the engine starts with one pull. At one hundred degrees the
                engine starts on one pull. I bought a Helms Mate extension handle
                by Ironwood Pacific and then mounted the Briggs on the back of
                Bolger Brick . When I was centered using the extension handle
                perfectly in the Brick it would plane. It is not supposed to plane
                but it does.

                The Briggs does have one problem. It vibrates at high speed, full
                throttle. During regular running it does not vibrate as bad but
                unlike the Honda it costs $795.00 retail and it is a one
                cylinder. During my review I spoke with the design engineer and
                it is an entirely new designed engine, not a lawn mower. I have
                installed a prop guard on it that looks something like a Kort
                nozzle. It did not fit properly and you can not get after market
                props that would have been bigger to make the device better. I
                used the Briggs on a boat sitting on a trailer I wanted to buy but
                the boat went with the trailer. It was an old fiberglass fifteen
                foot boat sitting on a trailer made for a boat 20+ feet long. It
                has some nice fittings so I will saw the hull up with my Porter-
                Cable Tiger saw into small chunks but the Briggs made the boat move
                at 14 mph. Not enough to get the foam water soaked hull on plane
                but just about.

                The boat ran from one end of a thirty eight mile long lake to the
                other and back to my house and dock on the shore line. I was just
                puttering around and the boat ran all the time and my wife and I
                could carry on a conversation at all times even at full throttle. I
                modified a bracket and put the cable steering on the motor then
                built a throttle bracket and a gear shift bracket on to the motor
                from an old Evenrude outboard control system. You could not feel
                the vibration from the helm but if you hold the tiller you can. When
                we ended the trip I burned a huge amount of fuel, 1 .3 gallons of
                fuel I gave the Briggs my best buy in four stroke engines. You
                might find a better five horsepower engine but it will cost almost
                triple the price. Plus the Briggs and Stratton is made in the USA.

                I like the Honda but the Briggs beats the fuel mileage hands down.
                I want to build a twenty foot dory with a motor well in it for
                fishing the big rainbows on the big Upper Klamath Lake and the
                Briggs will power it. I once had a drift boat that had a motor well
                and nearly asphyxiated myself with a two stroke motor. The Briggs
                will not do that. Go sign up at Duckworks and read Johns Tool
                Crib. There are some pictures with the Briggs on the Brick and
                using my lawn tractor with it's trailer to launch the Brick. I
                almost forgot that I used the Briggs on my Pelican sailboat without
                the mast and all unnecessary weight. It made it plane but it is
                very light with a flat bottom, 12 feet long. Buy the motor and you
                will not be disappointed.

                The only other problem is that the company will not warranty the
                motor when used in salt water. They don't have any zinc plugs on
                it. The engineer is working on a stainless steel model but I bet
                with zinc anodes I would run for a long time. It does take in water
                to cool the transmission but not the motor head. If any thing
                happened to the transmission I do not think the service center could
                tell it was in salt water if you pump clean water through it like
                you are supposed to anyway with any motor in salt water. I am going
                to use this motor for my launch on the bigger boat I will be
                building to travel to Mexico with every winter. I will hose the
                motor with clean water and have a soluble oil bucket to run the
                motor in for a few minutes after each use. I can replace the lower
                end since the motor is air cooled. If push comes to shove I think
                this little power house could push the boat I sailed down in if the
                diesel motor failed and there was no wind.

                John Cupp

                subject=Unsubscribe>

              • Wesley Cox
                Message 7 of 17 , May 8, 2005
                  Thank you very much for the abundant details and I will read the
                  Duckworks article.

                • Harry James
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 9, 2005
                    John Cupp of this group did a review of one for Duckworth's in his
                    November tool crib. Got a Brick to plane with it.

                    HJ

                  • gbship
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 9, 2005
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Cupp" <john@k...> wrote:
                      > Hi Guys,
                      >
                      > The only other problem is that the company will not warranty the
                      > motor when used in salt water. They don't have any zinc plugs on
                      > it. The engineer is working on a stainless steel model but I bet
                      > with zinc anodes I would run for a long time.

                      I was intrigued enough about prior comments on the list about this
                      motor that I contacted the company to ask about a stainless steel
                      model. Their customer service department assured me they have no
                      present plans to introduce such a model. If John talked to the
                      engineer, he probably has better info, but if the customer service reps
                      haven't heard of it yet, it's probably a long way from being
                      introduced. Unfortunately for those of us with sailboats, there's also
                      no plans to introduce a long shaft model. If they had a stainless, long
                      shaft model, I'd have one next week.

                      Gary Blankenship
                    • John Cupp
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 10, 2005
                        For two weeks after they were selling the 3 hp electric Briggs and
                        Stratton motors the costomer service department didn't evem know of
                        their existance. I also asked them for media material on their 36
                        HP diesel motors and what transmission pattern was on the bell
                        housing and they told me they had never heard of the Diesel motor.

                        It is an asian diesel with a Briggs name on it and it runs about
                        $2,400.00 with a radiator and sevral marine transmissions fit it but
                        it would need a closed water/antifreeze system for warranty. It
                        can be fitted with a PTO shaft for running a genarator or large
                        bilge pump. A engine I would like to test soon.

                        I now only call their media department about problems because their
                        customer service is an outsourced call center with minimum wage
                        workers in a city nowhere near the production facilities or R&D
                        center. I cannot give out their media reps number but I can assure
                        you that I am still in contact with the company. BTW I was told not
                        to send the test engine back because it had been used with gasoline
                        and I could not ship it leagaly. So I still have the camo Briggs &
                        Stratton engine. I have seen lots of sail boats with adjustable
                        outboard engine brackets that could use long or short shaft motors.
                        My Pelican for example, I used an adjustable bracket and started the
                        motor out of the water then lowered it to the proper depth. For the
                        price of the motor I would find a way to make the short shaft work.

                        Unfortunatly I had to purchase my Honda outboard a few years back
                        but I bought the long shaft kit that was an optional item for
                        $640.00. I have never used the long shaft yet I will never buy
                        another Honda motor without an electric starter When it is hard to
                        start I just can not maintain pulling the stupid rope for very
                        long. That is the main selling point for the Briggs motor. One
                        light pull and it's running, if you have hooked up the fuel tank and
                        let air into the bleeder. I will call my Briggs Rep this week and
                        ask about the SS model. Who knows they may make it a eight or ten
                        HP model since the fives are selling so well.

                        John

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gbship" <gbship@c...> wrote:
                        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Cupp" <john@k...> wrote:
                        > > Hi Guys,
                        > >
                        > > The only other problem is that the company will not warranty the
                        > > motor when used in salt water. They don't have any zinc plugs
                        on
                        > > it. The engineer is working on a stainless steel model but I
                        bet
                        > > with zinc anodes I would run for a long time.
                        >
                        > I was intrigued enough about prior comments on the list about this
                        > motor that I contacted the company to ask about a stainless steel
                        > model. Their customer service department assured me they have no
                        > present plans to introduce such a model. If John talked to the
                        > engineer, he probably has better info, but if the customer service
                        reps
                        > haven't heard of it yet, it's probably a long way from being
                        > introduced. Unfortunately for those of us with sailboats, there's
                        also
                        > no plans to introduce a long shaft model. If they had a stainless,
                        long
                        > shaft model, I'd have one next week.
                        >
                        > Gary Blankenship
                      • mark
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 10, 2005
                          keeping with the topic.

                          has anyone tried one of these

                          http://www.morganequipment.net/page13.html

                          cheers
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 10, 2005
                            On 5/10/05, mark <planzman@...> wrote:
                            > has anyone tried one of these [diesel outboards]
                            > http://www.morganequipment.net/page13.html

                            Do they start on one pull of the rope? <grin>
                          • jerry ziak
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 10, 2005
                              I have had a close look at one and the engines look
                              really well finished - the rest of the thing looks
                              like some farmer made it. Stainless steel - strongly
                              fabricated but very very utilitarian.

                              David

                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/6iY7fA/5WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/_0TolB/TM