Re: Inexpensive ourboard power!

  • John Cupp
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2005
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Stewart" <stewtone@m...> wrote:

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dvd_godsey" <dvd_godsey@y...> wrote:
      > >.
      > >
      > > These guys retail for under $400, about the same price as a good
      > > quality, electric trolling unit and less than a new 4-stroke
      > > engine.
      >
      > Yes, but the trolling motors are QUIET, and the 4-strokes aren't much
      > worse. I've never used a Stihl auger, so I don't know how noisy it
      is,
      > but I used to have a Stihl chain saw, and both a chain saw and a weed
      > whacker are so noisy that hearing either on what was a nice quiet
      pond
      > is all that would be needed to plead justifiable homicide.
      >
      > Chris Stewart

      I agree Chris, I have used one of tose machines and when you rent one
      it is mandatory they have to give you hearing protection while you use
      it. I just did an article for duckworks not too long ago about the
      Briggs & Stratton 5 hp outboard. It is quiet and I used it to push a
      big catalina sailboat as an experiment. The enter board was down and
      it would pushit at over 6 + knots a little over half throttle. I hung
      it on my brick and I could plane the Brick with it. The onl problem
      is that unlike Honda and all the other four stroke motors it is air
      cooled and does not have a balance countter rotating shaft to stop
      vibration from the one cylinder. So at full throtle it vibrates a
      little but at any less speed it is a very nice motor.

      They cameout with their three HP electric motor and it works about the
      same as the five hp gas engine but no vibration and about the same
      noise level. I talked with the design engineer on the outboad projects
      and they are about to introduce a stainless model for salt water for
      the gas engine. I use it on the lake on a fourteen foot glass boat and
      rigged a throtel and steering for it with gear shift so I can drive
      behind the steering wheel and with my wife and I it barley planes at
      about 8 knots but it is a old heavy glass boat. On a diablo it would
      haul butt. The day I took the reading with my GPS it was real choppy
      also.

      When they come out with the stainles model for the ocean I'll buy one
      for a pusher for my boat I am buildng when I sail to mexico each
      winter. If it can push one of those big catalina high freboard heavy
      fiberglass boats it should push around a nice wooden boat with no
      problem

      John C.
    • Clyde Wisner
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
        John Cupp wrote:

        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Stewart" <stewtone@m...> wrote:

        John, I'm glad to hear about the stainless model Briggs. Hope it is not
        exhorbitant. I need a small motor for my little Freedom. Clyde
      • John Spoering
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
          Hi All - -

          The stainless model sounds very interesting - Anyone know who retails
          these B&S outboards ? ? ?

          Aloha - Jack - Florida

          (978) 282-1349
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • doug6949
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
            Our local lawnmower shop carries them. I suppose any B&S authorized
            agent could get one.

            Doug

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Spoering" <spoering@e...> wrote:

            > The stainless model sounds very interesting - Anyone know who
            > retails these B&S outboards ? ? ?
          • Zack Tiger
            Message 5 of 17 , May 6 7:30 PM
              I just purchased a B&S 5hp outboard to use on my 17'
              square stern canoe. This may seem like a lot of motor
              for a canoe, but she is 42" wide, and as stable as a
              pontoon boat!
              I love this motor! Light weight, easy starting, very
              quiet, no mussing with oil mixes, etc., etc. It comes
              with a 3 gallon fuel tank, and is available in either
              black finish, or "Marshland Camo". Retail price is
              $749 for black and $849 for camo.
              Website is
              http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docid=76403
              The engine is EPA-CARB compliant,for all of us
              environmentally concerned types, has electronic
              ignition and is warrantied for two years.
              Forward/reverse engagement is positive, with no gear
              clashing. Any local Briggs lawn and garden dealer can
              get it for you. (It took mine two days to come in, and
              cost me $995 CDN dollars for the black unit). She
              starts first rip every time.
              Thanks,Shawn

              Yahoo! Mail
            • Wesley Cox
              Message 6 of 17 , May 8 8:43 PM
                I've given serious thought to the same motor. The price is right,
                especially for B&S and 4 stroke and the power is right for my needs. My
                concern is the noise of an air cooled outboard. I've read reports from
                'they sound like a lawn mower on water' to very quiet and have yet to
                find a retailer willing to let me hear one running. If you don't mind,
                can you give your opinion of the noise level relative to a water cooled
                outboard? Just as quiet? Thanks.

              • John Cupp
                Message 7 of 17 , May 8 10:16 PM
                  Hi Guys,

                  If you're a member of Duckworks you can read my review of the 5 HP
                  Briggs and Stratton. I have a Honda 10 hp and the Briggs 5 HP that
                  when running together you ca not tell the sound difference in
                  decibels. The Honda costs considerably more, has a counter
                  rotating balancing shaft to control vibration and is water cooled..
                  But in some ways the Briggs beats the Honda! The Honda takes at
                  least two pulls to start most of the time but it does start. The
                  Briggs engine starts on the first pull and is quiet. In five below
                  weather the engine starts with one pull. At one hundred degrees the
                  engine starts on one pull. I bought a Helms Mate extension handle
                  by Ironwood Pacific and then mounted the Briggs on the back of
                  Bolger Brick . When I was centered using the extension handle
                  perfectly in the Brick it would plane. It is not supposed to plane
                  but it does.

                  The Briggs does have one problem. It vibrates at high speed, full
                  throttle. During regular running it does not vibrate as bad but
                  unlike the Honda it costs $795.00 retail and it is a one
                  cylinder. During my review I spoke with the design engineer and
                  it is an entirely new designed engine, not a lawn mower. I have
                  installed a prop guard on it that looks something like a Kort
                  nozzle. It did not fit properly and you can not get after market
                  props that would have been bigger to make the device better. I
                  used the Briggs on a boat sitting on a trailer I wanted to buy but
                  the boat went with the trailer. It was an old fiberglass fifteen
                  foot boat sitting on a trailer made for a boat 20+ feet long. It
                  has some nice fittings so I will saw the hull up with my Porter-
                  Cable Tiger saw into small chunks but the Briggs made the boat move
                  at 14 mph. Not enough to get the foam water soaked hull on plane
                  but just about.

                  The boat ran from one end of a thirty eight mile long lake to the
                  other and back to my house and dock on the shore line. I was just
                  puttering around and the boat ran all the time and my wife and I
                  could carry on a conversation at all times even at full throttle. I
                  modified a bracket and put the cable steering on the motor then
                  built a throttle bracket and a gear shift bracket on to the motor
                  from an old Evenrude outboard control system. You could not feel
                  the vibration from the helm but if you hold the tiller you can. When
                  we ended the trip I burned a huge amount of fuel, 1 .3 gallons of
                  fuel I gave the Briggs my best buy in four stroke engines. You
                  might find a better five horsepower engine but it will cost almost
                  triple the price. Plus the Briggs and Stratton is made in the USA.

                  I like the Honda but the Briggs beats the fuel mileage hands down.
                  I want to build a twenty foot dory with a motor well in it for
                  fishing the big rainbows on the big Upper Klamath Lake and the
                  Briggs will power it. I once had a drift boat that had a motor well
                  and nearly asphyxiated myself with a two stroke motor. The Briggs
                  will not do that. Go sign up at Duckworks and read Johns Tool
                  Crib. There are some pictures with the Briggs on the Brick and
                  using my lawn tractor with it's trailer to launch the Brick. I
                  almost forgot that I used the Briggs on my Pelican sailboat without
                  the mast and all unnecessary weight. It made it plane but it is
                  very light with a flat bottom, 12 feet long. Buy the motor and you
                  will not be disappointed.

                  The only other problem is that the company will not warranty the
                  motor when used in salt water. They don't have any zinc plugs on
                  it. The engineer is working on a stainless steel model but I bet
                  with zinc anodes I would run for a long time. It does take in water
                  to cool the transmission but not the motor head. If any thing
                  happened to the transmission I do not think the service center could
                  tell it was in salt water if you pump clean water through it like
                  you are supposed to anyway with any motor in salt water. I am going
                  to use this motor for my launch on the bigger boat I will be
                  building to travel to Mexico with every winter. I will hose the
                  motor with clean water and have a soluble oil bucket to run the
                  motor in for a few minutes after each use. I can replace the lower
                  end since the motor is air cooled. If push comes to shove I think
                  this little power house could push the boat I sailed down in if the
                  diesel motor failed and there was no wind.

                  John Cupp

                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                • Wesley Cox
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 8 10:38 PM
                    Thank you very much for the abundant details and I will read the
                    Duckworks article.

                  • Harry James
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 9 2:07 PM
                      John Cupp of this group did a review of one for Duckworth's in his
                      November tool crib. Got a Brick to plane with it.

                      HJ

                    • gbship
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 9 8:12 PM
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Cupp" <john@k...> wrote:
                        > Hi Guys,
                        >
                        > The only other problem is that the company will not warranty the
                        > motor when used in salt water. They don't have any zinc plugs on
                        > it. The engineer is working on a stainless steel model but I bet
                        > with zinc anodes I would run for a long time.

                        I was intrigued enough about prior comments on the list about this
                        motor that I contacted the company to ask about a stainless steel
                        model. Their customer service department assured me they have no
                        present plans to introduce such a model. If John talked to the
                        engineer, he probably has better info, but if the customer service reps
                        haven't heard of it yet, it's probably a long way from being
                        introduced. Unfortunately for those of us with sailboats, there's also
                        no plans to introduce a long shaft model. If they had a stainless, long
                        shaft model, I'd have one next week.

                        Gary Blankenship
                      • John Cupp
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 10 1:19 AM
                          For two weeks after they were selling the 3 hp electric Briggs and
                          Stratton motors the costomer service department didn't evem know of
                          their existance. I also asked them for media material on their 36
                          HP diesel motors and what transmission pattern was on the bell
                          housing and they told me they had never heard of the Diesel motor.

                          It is an asian diesel with a Briggs name on it and it runs about
                          $2,400.00 with a radiator and sevral marine transmissions fit it but
                          it would need a closed water/antifreeze system for warranty. It
                          can be fitted with a PTO shaft for running a genarator or large
                          bilge pump. A engine I would like to test soon.

                          I now only call their media department about problems because their
                          customer service is an outsourced call center with minimum wage
                          workers in a city nowhere near the production facilities or R&D
                          center. I cannot give out their media reps number but I can assure
                          you that I am still in contact with the company. BTW I was told not
                          to send the test engine back because it had been used with gasoline
                          and I could not ship it leagaly. So I still have the camo Briggs &
                          Stratton engine. I have seen lots of sail boats with adjustable
                          outboard engine brackets that could use long or short shaft motors.
                          My Pelican for example, I used an adjustable bracket and started the
                          motor out of the water then lowered it to the proper depth. For the
                          price of the motor I would find a way to make the short shaft work.

                          Unfortunatly I had to purchase my Honda outboard a few years back
                          but I bought the long shaft kit that was an optional item for
                          $640.00. I have never used the long shaft yet I will never buy
                          another Honda motor without an electric starter When it is hard to
                          start I just can not maintain pulling the stupid rope for very
                          long. That is the main selling point for the Briggs motor. One
                          light pull and it's running, if you have hooked up the fuel tank and
                          let air into the bleeder. I will call my Briggs Rep this week and
                          ask about the SS model. Who knows they may make it a eight or ten
                          HP model since the fives are selling so well.

                          John

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gbship" <gbship@c...> wrote:
                          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Cupp" <john@k...> wrote:
                          > > Hi Guys,
                          > >
                          > > The only other problem is that the company will not warranty the
                          > > motor when used in salt water. They don't have any zinc plugs
                          on
                          > > it. The engineer is working on a stainless steel model but I
                          bet
                          > > with zinc anodes I would run for a long time.
                          >
                          > I was intrigued enough about prior comments on the list about this
                          > motor that I contacted the company to ask about a stainless steel
                          > model. Their customer service department assured me they have no
                          > present plans to introduce such a model. If John talked to the
                          > engineer, he probably has better info, but if the customer service
                          reps
                          > haven't heard of it yet, it's probably a long way from being
                          > introduced. Unfortunately for those of us with sailboats, there's
                          also
                          > no plans to introduce a long shaft model. If they had a stainless,
                          long
                          > shaft model, I'd have one next week.
                          >
                          > Gary Blankenship
                        • mark
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 10 7:55 AM
                            keeping with the topic.

                            has anyone tried one of these

                            http://www.morganequipment.net/page13.html

                            cheers
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 10 8:14 AM
                              On 5/10/05, mark <planzman@...> wrote:
                              > has anyone tried one of these [diesel outboards]
                              > http://www.morganequipment.net/page13.html

                              Do they start on one pull of the rope? <grin>
                            • jerry ziak
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 10 1:55 PM
                                I have had a close look at one and the engines look
                                really well finished - the rest of the thing looks
                                like some farmer made it. Stainless steel - strongly
                                fabricated but very very utilitarian.

                                David

                                http://us.click.yahoo.com/6iY7fA/5WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/_0TolB/TM