Re: [bolger] Caulking stuff

  • hal
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2005
      On Apr 1, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

      > If you are adding a deck, glue or caulk (or just nails with no caulk)
      > would work, it doesn't really matter much.

      Confession time. In addition to keeping water out of screw
      holes and crevices I am trying to hide less than stellar
      carpentry.

      hal
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2005
        > Confession time. In addition to keeping water out of screw
        > holes and crevices I am trying to hide less than stellar
        > carpentry.
        >
        > hal

        Don't worry about it too much.
        That is the purpose of Teal.
        It is a great amateur backyard boat, very forgiving.
        Fill in the holes with whatever you got,
        my preference is thickened epoxy,
        but chewing gum would work too.
      • Wayne
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2005
          > > Confession time. In addition to keeping water out of screw
          > > holes and crevices I am trying to hide less than stellar
          > > carpentry.
          > >
          > > hal
          >
          > Don't worry about it too much.
          > That is the purpose of Teal.
          > It is a great amateur backyard boat, very forgiving.
          > Fill in the holes with whatever you got,
          > my preference is thickened epoxy,
          > but chewing gum would work too.

          There you go.

          To answer the original question...

          I have seen 3M-5200 at Home Depot if you absolutely, positively,
          never ever wish to separate the deck from the rest of the boat. Next
          to the 3M-5200 was something called Marine GOOP. No clue what the
          stuff is, but it was cheaper than the 3M product. A good grade of
          exterior house caulk and paint ought to do the trick. Unless you have
          an abundance of chewing gum.

          Wayne
          In the Swamp.
        • robert pyfrom
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2005
            Really hate to keep haroung on the cheap,but i and [my drag-racing friends]
            swear by Ace bath-tub caulk, and no, I'm not an Ace dealer!
            Comboat51
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
              5200 is very strong and hard when dry, and you can sand it and
              paint it. Clyde

              hal wrote:

              > On Apr 1, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:
              >
              > > If you are adding a deck, glue or caulk (or just nails with no caulk)
              > > would work, it doesn't really matter much.
              >
              > Confession time. In addition to keeping water out of screw
              > holes and crevices I am trying to hide less than stellar
              > carpentry.
              >
              > hal

              > Fax: (978) 282-1349

            • Bruce Hector
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "robert pyfrom" <neetra@c...>
                wrote: "swear by Ace bath-tub caulk,"

                All my TIMS units were assembled solely with drywall screws and
                whatever caulk was cheapest at HD, can't remember the name. Simple 2 by
                2 inside franes, the goop caulked along in a solid line and screwed
                from the outside. Wipe up the excess. Simple.

                None of mine leaked.

                Two, that were assembled right at the Kingston Messabout did leak, one
                so badly that it actually caught a fish! No caulk was used on these two.

                Bruce Hector
                http://www.brucesboats.com
                For info on the great 2005 Kingston Messabout and lots of TIMS photos.
              • Bryant Owen
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
                  Actually Bruce the one I helped assemble was caulked minutes before
                  launching. It wasn't until it was in the water did we realize that
                  we'd used water soluble latex caulking instead of, well, something
                  else. I'd like to believe that if the caulk had had a time to "cure"
                  it would've been OK.

                  Heck, it made a great breakfast table.

                  Bryant

                • wmrpage@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 3, 2005
                    In a message dated 4/2/05 11:06:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
                    clydewis@... writes:

                    > 5200 is very strong and hard when dry, and you can sand it and
                    > paint it. Clyde

                    3M 5200 is also a terrific adhesive, as I believe someone has already noted.
                    It is not something you would want to use on any two pieces of wood you might
                    someday want to separate, e.g. if the boat owner decides that the boat is a
                    keeper and wants to rectify some of deficiencies in joinery in the future. It
                    sounds to me like the original inquiry was more concerned about limiting water
                    infiltration and enhancing the cosmetics.

                    Without knowing anything about anything, I think my inclination would be to
                    look for products that painters use when doing wood siding - 1) it would be the
                    kind of stuff that Home Despot, Menards, etc. stock; 2) it would be
                    formulated for its ease of use and cosmetic properties, rather than adhesion; 3) it
                    would have been developed for a much larger, more lucrative market than any
                    boating product and probably benefits from more R&D. Mind you, I have no idea what
                    house painters use for what, but I think I'd ask one.

                    Ciao for Niao
                    Bill in MN
                    (contemplating my latest deficiencies in wood joiner)

                  • hal
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                      The theme of the responses seemed to be it doesn't matter
                      what you use.

                      One of my constraints is that I want the decks to be
                      removable.

                      One suggestion was to use peanut butter, however the
                      only peanut butter I had was crunchy so that was out.

                      Going with the theme of "use what you have laying
                      around" I chose left over rain gutter caulk. I had
                      only enough to do the bow which was a blessing in
                      disguise. Can you say mess of the century?
                      If this stuff wont sand I am going to have a one mile
                      finish on my Teal. In ten minutes I managed to caulk
                      35% of my body and most of the garage. The Teal fared
                      a little better.

                      For the stern I tried tub and tile caulk. I am going
                      to have to repaint the caulked areas anyway, see below,
                      so sun resistance was not too important in the end. This
                      was easier than the rain gutter stuff to apply. Erroneously
                      thinking I could actually get a smooth finish I tried the
                      old wet finder trick. This caused the caulk to form lumps
                      so I will be sanding and painting fore and aft.

                      I am in awe of you who can actually do this correctly.

                      hal, the caulking challenged, from snowy northern Utah.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                        > I am in awe of you who can actually do this correctly.
                        > hal,

                        I don't think you are describing anyone around here.

                        Liberal use of masking tape helps a little.

                        Disposable 'one use' cardboard 'coving tools'
                        you make with a sissors can help too.
                      • hal
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                          On Apr 4, 2005, at 9:39 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

                          > Liberal use of masking tape helps a little.
                          >
                          > Disposable 'one use' cardboard 'coving tools'
                          > you make with a sissors can help too.

                          Oh sure?! Now you tell me.

                          hal
                        • Bruce Hector
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, hal <hl700@c...> wrote:
                            "In ten minutes I managed to caulk 35% of my body and most of the
                            garage. The Teal fared a little better."

                            Good work Hal,

                            Did you hear the story about the engineer with two degeres who used
                            expanding foam in the air chambers of his beautiful strip built
                            canoe....

                            Believe me, it can get far worse.

                            Bruce Hector
                            http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/1000IslandFunRowers/
                            A group for fun or touring rowing I'm trying to get going here in
                            Kingston now that the water has (mostly) thawed.
                          • Peter Lenihan
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, hal <hl700@c...> wrote:
                              > One of my constraints is that I want the decks to be
                              > removable.

                              Hi Hal,

                              I must have missed something along the way but I did not know the
                              TEAL even had a deck(s)......I do recall it having just a few slates
                              to hold the prescribed floatation in place but otherwise deckfree.
                              Perhaps you WANT to have a deck(s) instead of slates and if that
                              is the case,the deck is so teeny why even make it removable at all
                              when it amounts to just a big breasthook anyway and that is
                              something you'd want solidly anchored in place :-)
                              Access bellow can be assured through openings easily made through
                              whatever bulkhead(s) you would place inboard to support the upper
                              aft edge of the "deck".
                              Hope this makes sense, as I can hardly understand it myself :-)
                              Sorry to read about the mess with caulking goop.Aim for solid boat
                              boatbuilding and not dismountable boats.............:-D

                              Sincerely,

                              Peter "quit caulking around" Lenihan,halfway through the aft
                              stateroom and making plans for the roof beintôt,from along the banks
                              of the St.Lawrence.........