Re: [bolger] Caulking stuff

  • hal
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2005
      On Apr 1, 2005, at 9:05 AM, John Bell wrote:

      > What are you planning to caulk?

      Sorry about that. I need to caulk the joint between the deck
      and sides of my teal.

      hal
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2005
        > I need to caulk the joint between the deck and sides of my teal.
        > hal

        I recall that a 'per plans' Teal doesn't have a deck,
        but rather it has the option of floation blocks with
        wood slats glued on top for decoration.

        If you mean "the joint between the bottom and sides",
        it is probably best to use some good glue, I prefer epoxy,
        many other glues would also work.

        If you are adding a deck, glue or caulk (or just nails with no caulk)
        would work, it doesn't really matter much.
      • hal
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2005
          On Apr 1, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

          > If you are adding a deck, glue or caulk (or just nails with no caulk)
          > would work, it doesn't really matter much.

          Confession time. In addition to keeping water out of screw
          holes and crevices I am trying to hide less than stellar
          carpentry.

          hal
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2005
            > Confession time. In addition to keeping water out of screw
            > holes and crevices I am trying to hide less than stellar
            > carpentry.
            >
            > hal

            Don't worry about it too much.
            That is the purpose of Teal.
            It is a great amateur backyard boat, very forgiving.
            Fill in the holes with whatever you got,
            my preference is thickened epoxy,
            but chewing gum would work too.
          • Wayne
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 1, 2005
              > > Confession time. In addition to keeping water out of screw
              > > holes and crevices I am trying to hide less than stellar
              > > carpentry.
              > >
              > > hal
              >
              > Don't worry about it too much.
              > That is the purpose of Teal.
              > It is a great amateur backyard boat, very forgiving.
              > Fill in the holes with whatever you got,
              > my preference is thickened epoxy,
              > but chewing gum would work too.

              There you go.

              To answer the original question...

              I have seen 3M-5200 at Home Depot if you absolutely, positively,
              never ever wish to separate the deck from the rest of the boat. Next
              to the 3M-5200 was something called Marine GOOP. No clue what the
              stuff is, but it was cheaper than the 3M product. A good grade of
              exterior house caulk and paint ought to do the trick. Unless you have
              an abundance of chewing gum.

              Wayne
              In the Swamp.
            • robert pyfrom
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 1, 2005
                Really hate to keep haroung on the cheap,but i and [my drag-racing friends]
                swear by Ace bath-tub caulk, and no, I'm not an Ace dealer!
                Comboat51
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
                  5200 is very strong and hard when dry, and you can sand it and
                  paint it. Clyde

                  hal wrote:

                  > On Apr 1, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:
                  >
                  > > If you are adding a deck, glue or caulk (or just nails with no caulk)
                  > > would work, it doesn't really matter much.
                  >
                  > Confession time. In addition to keeping water out of screw
                  > holes and crevices I am trying to hide less than stellar
                  > carpentry.
                  >
                  > hal

                  > Fax: (978) 282-1349

                • Bruce Hector
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "robert pyfrom" <neetra@c...>
                    wrote: "swear by Ace bath-tub caulk,"

                    All my TIMS units were assembled solely with drywall screws and
                    whatever caulk was cheapest at HD, can't remember the name. Simple 2 by
                    2 inside franes, the goop caulked along in a solid line and screwed
                    from the outside. Wipe up the excess. Simple.

                    None of mine leaked.

                    Two, that were assembled right at the Kingston Messabout did leak, one
                    so badly that it actually caught a fish! No caulk was used on these two.

                    Bruce Hector
                    http://www.brucesboats.com
                    For info on the great 2005 Kingston Messabout and lots of TIMS photos.
                  • Bryant Owen
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
                      Actually Bruce the one I helped assemble was caulked minutes before
                      launching. It wasn't until it was in the water did we realize that
                      we'd used water soluble latex caulking instead of, well, something
                      else. I'd like to believe that if the caulk had had a time to "cure"
                      it would've been OK.

                      Heck, it made a great breakfast table.

                      Bryant

                    • wmrpage@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 3, 2005
                        In a message dated 4/2/05 11:06:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
                        clydewis@... writes:

                        > 5200 is very strong and hard when dry, and you can sand it and
                        > paint it. Clyde

                        3M 5200 is also a terrific adhesive, as I believe someone has already noted.
                        It is not something you would want to use on any two pieces of wood you might
                        someday want to separate, e.g. if the boat owner decides that the boat is a
                        keeper and wants to rectify some of deficiencies in joinery in the future. It
                        sounds to me like the original inquiry was more concerned about limiting water
                        infiltration and enhancing the cosmetics.

                        Without knowing anything about anything, I think my inclination would be to
                        look for products that painters use when doing wood siding - 1) it would be the
                        kind of stuff that Home Despot, Menards, etc. stock; 2) it would be
                        formulated for its ease of use and cosmetic properties, rather than adhesion; 3) it
                        would have been developed for a much larger, more lucrative market than any
                        boating product and probably benefits from more R&D. Mind you, I have no idea what
                        house painters use for what, but I think I'd ask one.

                        Ciao for Niao
                        Bill in MN
                        (contemplating my latest deficiencies in wood joiner)

                      • hal
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                          The theme of the responses seemed to be it doesn't matter
                          what you use.

                          One of my constraints is that I want the decks to be
                          removable.

                          One suggestion was to use peanut butter, however the
                          only peanut butter I had was crunchy so that was out.

                          Going with the theme of "use what you have laying
                          around" I chose left over rain gutter caulk. I had
                          only enough to do the bow which was a blessing in
                          disguise. Can you say mess of the century?
                          If this stuff wont sand I am going to have a one mile
                          finish on my Teal. In ten minutes I managed to caulk
                          35% of my body and most of the garage. The Teal fared
                          a little better.

                          For the stern I tried tub and tile caulk. I am going
                          to have to repaint the caulked areas anyway, see below,
                          so sun resistance was not too important in the end. This
                          was easier than the rain gutter stuff to apply. Erroneously
                          thinking I could actually get a smooth finish I tried the
                          old wet finder trick. This caused the caulk to form lumps
                          so I will be sanding and painting fore and aft.

                          I am in awe of you who can actually do this correctly.

                          hal, the caulking challenged, from snowy northern Utah.
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                            > I am in awe of you who can actually do this correctly.
                            > hal,

                            I don't think you are describing anyone around here.

                            Liberal use of masking tape helps a little.

                            Disposable 'one use' cardboard 'coving tools'
                            you make with a sissors can help too.
                          • hal
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                              On Apr 4, 2005, at 9:39 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

                              > Liberal use of masking tape helps a little.
                              >
                              > Disposable 'one use' cardboard 'coving tools'
                              > you make with a sissors can help too.

                              Oh sure?! Now you tell me.

                              hal
                            • Bruce Hector
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, hal <hl700@c...> wrote:
                                "In ten minutes I managed to caulk 35% of my body and most of the
                                garage. The Teal fared a little better."

                                Good work Hal,

                                Did you hear the story about the engineer with two degeres who used
                                expanding foam in the air chambers of his beautiful strip built
                                canoe....

                                Believe me, it can get far worse.

                                Bruce Hector
                                http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/1000IslandFunRowers/
                                A group for fun or touring rowing I'm trying to get going here in
                                Kingston now that the water has (mostly) thawed.
                              • Peter Lenihan
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, hal <hl700@c...> wrote:
                                  > One of my constraints is that I want the decks to be
                                  > removable.

                                  Hi Hal,

                                  I must have missed something along the way but I did not know the
                                  TEAL even had a deck(s)......I do recall it having just a few slates
                                  to hold the prescribed floatation in place but otherwise deckfree.
                                  Perhaps you WANT to have a deck(s) instead of slates and if that
                                  is the case,the deck is so teeny why even make it removable at all
                                  when it amounts to just a big breasthook anyway and that is
                                  something you'd want solidly anchored in place :-)
                                  Access bellow can be assured through openings easily made through
                                  whatever bulkhead(s) you would place inboard to support the upper
                                  aft edge of the "deck".
                                  Hope this makes sense, as I can hardly understand it myself :-)
                                  Sorry to read about the mess with caulking goop.Aim for solid boat
                                  boatbuilding and not dismountable boats.............:-D

                                  Sincerely,

                                  Peter "quit caulking around" Lenihan,halfway through the aft
                                  stateroom and making plans for the roof beintôt,from along the banks
                                  of the St.Lawrence.........