Re: [bolger] Re: Bolger Manatee Chinese Gaff Rig Critique

    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 31, 2005
      > I've not found my helming adequate for keeping her goosewinged very long. I'm
      > usually watching the main, and the mizzen gets gybed.

      I can ditto that. There is plenty of sail in the main to achieve hull speed,
      and worrying about whether the mizzen gybes does doesn't seem important.

      Don't forget that the biggest reason for the Chinese Gaff is to have
      excellent control over the reefing. That, it does, very well!

      Another reason for the Chinese Gaff is to have lots of low stress
      sheeting points, again, it does that well too.

      [As an aside, this weekend I plan to to take off my battens and
      (using my electric planner) taper them to improve the airfoil shape
      of the sail. My battens are currently too stiff.]
    • elejon
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1 12:03 AM
        For what it's worth, I sailed Jim Melcher's Alert/Manatee during his
        visit to Bolger's. We drove from Indiana to Cape Ann for the express
        purpose of gaining some experience with the Chinese Gaffer --- the
        ANTISPRAY 48 we are building is like rigged.

        Unfortunately, Jim had failed to take advantage of several of the
        Chinese Gaffer's advantages. A few examples:

        She was not rigged with individual batten downhauls which limited sail
        luff tension when reefed. Since the rig is "over-canvased" by design,
        it is commonly sailed with a reef in. The lack of downhauls
        definitely prevented proper luff tension at less than full sail.

        Sheetlet angles were not optimal as the original mizzen mast was being
        used..... causing some frustration when tacking. Obviously this was
        an implementation problem rather than a design flaw.

        Also, no work had been done on batten(s) stiffness. From the outset,
        it was known that experimenting with batten stiffness would be an
        integral part of developing this rig. Generally, all battens needed
        more stiffness aft and less stiffness forward.

        These points aside, she was very nice to sail, and easy to tack. She
        reefed/bent on sail amazingly well even on the wind.... and even
        without batten downhauls.

        I'm eager to sail a Chinese Gaffer that's had a real tune up!

        I'm sorry that the rig didn't meet Jim's expectations, but I don't
        think he gave it a fair shake ---- kinda like buying a car, leaving
        out a couple of spark plugs and then complaining about the engine
        design.

        Regards,

        John

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dbaldnz" <oink@w...> wrote:

        > This report has been on the web for quite a while.
        > I have very limited experience of the chinese gaff rig, but I'm
        > puzzled as to why the specific chinese gaff rig was blamed for the
        > downwind control problems. If you don't tension the batten
        sheetlets,
        > the mainsail is no different from a normal gaff sail, except it has
        > long battens. It seems to me that the problem may have been one of
        > sail distribution and hull balance or other factors which caused the
        > weather helm.
      • Clyde Wisner
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2 8:00 AM
          Thanks for posting your observations. I'm not in love with the look
          of the Chin. Gaff , but I've always thought it would work well. Clyde

          elejon wrote:

          > For what it's worth, I sailed Jim Melcher's Alert/Manatee during his
          > visit to Bolger's. We drove from Indiana to Cape Ann for the express

        • sae140
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 6, 2005
            Guess who's been trawling through the archives ....

            From April 1st:

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "elejon" <jmcdan@h...> wrote:

            > For what it's worth, I sailed Jim Melcher's Alert/Manatee during his
            > visit to Bolger's.

            Hi John - by any chance do you have, or do you know
            of anyone who might have, any means of contacting
            Jim Melcher ?

            Regards

            Colin