Inexpensive ourboard power!

  • dvd_godsey
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 29, 2005
      I acquired the new Stihl, Model BT45 one man auger for my employer
      about a year ago. As part of my more recent mastications on a home
      built boat (Bolger or Selway-Fisher), I have been thinking about
      auxilary power and horrified by the prices for motors.

      Then, in a sudden flash about the obvious, it occurred to me, "Gee,
      I wonder if the Stihl would do the job?" followed immediately by a
      "Duh" and "Yes". Picture a weed-whacker with gear box and hard
      shaft.

      These guys retail for under $400, about the same price as a good
      quality, electric trolling unit and less than a new 4-stroke
      engine.
      Here is why I will probably go this way:
      1. They are incredibly light, a guy can set one in a yoke for use
      and stow it as needed. I can pick it up with one-hand and put it on
      my shoulder, even the gals lug it around with no problem. The
      handle mount is a perfect spot for a yoke.
      2. No more motor hanging off the stern and uglying-up your nice
      sailboat.
      3. It has two forward speeds, neutral and reverse. The higher 2nd
      gear is too fast for augering but ideal for boat use.
      3. The coarse-threaded, standard shaft means you can put whatever
      length needed to suit your application. Solid bar stock would make
      it prop heavy but aluminum pipe should do the job. Pinning the shaft
      would keep it from unthreading itself if you struck an object while
      in reverse.
      4. Centrifigal clutch is another plus except it
      doesn't turn when idling. Locking up the clutch would solve this
      but I like the safety feature.
      5. Small enough to pack-up and take home so it doesn't grow legs and
      walk off your boat.

      The tank is rather small so you wouln't want to use it for extended
      periods as tho' it were a real outboard but for maneuvering, it
      should be ideal. You could even hand-hold it over the side, mid-
      hull, to move laterally. Take it forward and, BINGO, instant bow-
      thruster.

      Google on "Stihl and auger" for more info or visit a local Stihl
      dealer. Call dealers first, not too many places keep them on-
      hand.

      One last note, you can also use it as an auger to set posts for that
      new boat building shop! What a concept. There are two, very minor
      maintenance issues to be aware of, interested parties can inquire
      via posting or email.

      I'll answer questions that come my way, the auger and I are fast
      friends since it gets a lot of use.

      Dave Godsey, Nehalem, OR
    • Chris Stewart
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 30, 2005
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dvd_godsey" <dvd_godsey@y...> wrote:
        >.
        >
        > These guys retail for under $400, about the same price as a good
        > quality, electric trolling unit and less than a new 4-stroke
        > engine.

        Yes, but the trolling motors are QUIET, and the 4-strokes aren't much
        worse. I've never used a Stihl auger, so I don't know how noisy it is,
        but I used to have a Stihl chain saw, and both a chain saw and a weed
        whacker are so noisy that hearing either on what was a nice quiet pond
        is all that would be needed to plead justifiable homicide.

        Chris Stewart
      • John Cupp
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2005
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Stewart" <stewtone@m...> wrote:

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dvd_godsey" <dvd_godsey@y...> wrote:
          > >.
          > >
          > > These guys retail for under $400, about the same price as a good
          > > quality, electric trolling unit and less than a new 4-stroke
          > > engine.
          >
          > Yes, but the trolling motors are QUIET, and the 4-strokes aren't much
          > worse. I've never used a Stihl auger, so I don't know how noisy it
          is,
          > but I used to have a Stihl chain saw, and both a chain saw and a weed
          > whacker are so noisy that hearing either on what was a nice quiet
          pond
          > is all that would be needed to plead justifiable homicide.
          >
          > Chris Stewart

          I agree Chris, I have used one of tose machines and when you rent one
          it is mandatory they have to give you hearing protection while you use
          it. I just did an article for duckworks not too long ago about the
          Briggs & Stratton 5 hp outboard. It is quiet and I used it to push a
          big catalina sailboat as an experiment. The enter board was down and
          it would pushit at over 6 + knots a little over half throttle. I hung
          it on my brick and I could plane the Brick with it. The onl problem
          is that unlike Honda and all the other four stroke motors it is air
          cooled and does not have a balance countter rotating shaft to stop
          vibration from the one cylinder. So at full throtle it vibrates a
          little but at any less speed it is a very nice motor.

          They cameout with their three HP electric motor and it works about the
          same as the five hp gas engine but no vibration and about the same
          noise level. I talked with the design engineer on the outboad projects
          and they are about to introduce a stainless model for salt water for
          the gas engine. I use it on the lake on a fourteen foot glass boat and
          rigged a throtel and steering for it with gear shift so I can drive
          behind the steering wheel and with my wife and I it barley planes at
          about 8 knots but it is a old heavy glass boat. On a diablo it would
          haul butt. The day I took the reading with my GPS it was real choppy
          also.

          When they come out with the stainles model for the ocean I'll buy one
          for a pusher for my boat I am buildng when I sail to mexico each
          winter. If it can push one of those big catalina high freboard heavy
          fiberglass boats it should push around a nice wooden boat with no
          problem

          John C.
        • John Cupp
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2005
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Stewart" <stewtone@m...> wrote:

            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dvd_godsey" <dvd_godsey@y...> wrote:
            > >.
            > >
            > > These guys retail for under $400, about the same price as a good
            > > quality, electric trolling unit and less than a new 4-stroke
            > > engine.
            >
            > Yes, but the trolling motors are QUIET, and the 4-strokes aren't much
            > worse. I've never used a Stihl auger, so I don't know how noisy it
            is,
            > but I used to have a Stihl chain saw, and both a chain saw and a weed
            > whacker are so noisy that hearing either on what was a nice quiet
            pond
            > is all that would be needed to plead justifiable homicide.
            >
            > Chris Stewart

            I agree Chris, I have used one of tose machines and when you rent one
            it is mandatory they have to give you hearing protection while you use
            it. I just did an article for duckworks not too long ago about the
            Briggs & Stratton 5 hp outboard. It is quiet and I used it to push a
            big catalina sailboat as an experiment. The enter board was down and
            it would pushit at over 6 + knots a little over half throttle. I hung
            it on my brick and I could plane the Brick with it. The onl problem
            is that unlike Honda and all the other four stroke motors it is air
            cooled and does not have a balance countter rotating shaft to stop
            vibration from the one cylinder. So at full throtle it vibrates a
            little but at any less speed it is a very nice motor.

            They cameout with their three HP electric motor and it works about the
            same as the five hp gas engine but no vibration and about the same
            noise level. I talked with the design engineer on the outboad projects
            and they are about to introduce a stainless model for salt water for
            the gas engine. I use it on the lake on a fourteen foot glass boat and
            rigged a throtel and steering for it with gear shift so I can drive
            behind the steering wheel and with my wife and I it barley planes at
            about 8 knots but it is a old heavy glass boat. On a diablo it would
            haul butt. The day I took the reading with my GPS it was real choppy
            also.

            When they come out with the stainles model for the ocean I'll buy one
            for a pusher for my boat I am buildng when I sail to mexico each
            winter. If it can push one of those big catalina high freboard heavy
            fiberglass boats it should push around a nice wooden boat with no
            problem

            John C.
          • Clyde Wisner
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
              John Cupp wrote:

              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Stewart" <stewtone@m...> wrote:

              John, I'm glad to hear about the stainless model Briggs. Hope it is not
              exhorbitant. I need a small motor for my little Freedom. Clyde
            • John Spoering
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
                Hi All - -

                The stainless model sounds very interesting - Anyone know who retails
                these B&S outboards ? ? ?

                Aloha - Jack - Florida

                (978) 282-1349
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • doug6949
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 2, 2005
                  Our local lawnmower shop carries them. I suppose any B&S authorized
                  agent could get one.

                  Doug

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Spoering" <spoering@e...> wrote:

                  > The stainless model sounds very interesting - Anyone know who
                  > retails these B&S outboards ? ? ?
                • Zack Tiger
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 6, 2005
                    I just purchased a B&S 5hp outboard to use on my 17'
                    square stern canoe. This may seem like a lot of motor
                    for a canoe, but she is 42" wide, and as stable as a
                    pontoon boat!
                    I love this motor! Light weight, easy starting, very
                    quiet, no mussing with oil mixes, etc., etc. It comes
                    with a 3 gallon fuel tank, and is available in either
                    black finish, or "Marshland Camo". Retail price is
                    $749 for black and $849 for camo.
                    Website is
                    http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docid=76403
                    The engine is EPA-CARB compliant,for all of us
                    environmentally concerned types, has electronic
                    ignition and is warrantied for two years.
                    Forward/reverse engagement is positive, with no gear
                    clashing. Any local Briggs lawn and garden dealer can
                    get it for you. (It took mine two days to come in, and
                    cost me $995 CDN dollars for the black unit). She
                    starts first rip every time.
                    Thanks,Shawn

                    Yahoo! Mail
                  • Wesley Cox
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 8, 2005
                      I've given serious thought to the same motor. The price is right,
                      especially for B&S and 4 stroke and the power is right for my needs. My
                      concern is the noise of an air cooled outboard. I've read reports from
                      'they sound like a lawn mower on water' to very quiet and have yet to
                      find a retailer willing to let me hear one running. If you don't mind,
                      can you give your opinion of the noise level relative to a water cooled
                      outboard? Just as quiet? Thanks.

                    • John Cupp
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 8, 2005
                        Hi Guys,

                        If you're a member of Duckworks you can read my review of the 5 HP
                        Briggs and Stratton. I have a Honda 10 hp and the Briggs 5 HP that
                        when running together you ca not tell the sound difference in
                        decibels. The Honda costs considerably more, has a counter
                        rotating balancing shaft to control vibration and is water cooled..
                        But in some ways the Briggs beats the Honda! The Honda takes at
                        least two pulls to start most of the time but it does start. The
                        Briggs engine starts on the first pull and is quiet. In five below
                        weather the engine starts with one pull. At one hundred degrees the
                        engine starts on one pull. I bought a Helms Mate extension handle
                        by Ironwood Pacific and then mounted the Briggs on the back of
                        Bolger Brick . When I was centered using the extension handle
                        perfectly in the Brick it would plane. It is not supposed to plane
                        but it does.

                        The Briggs does have one problem. It vibrates at high speed, full
                        throttle. During regular running it does not vibrate as bad but
                        unlike the Honda it costs $795.00 retail and it is a one
                        cylinder. During my review I spoke with the design engineer and
                        it is an entirely new designed engine, not a lawn mower. I have
                        installed a prop guard on it that looks something like a Kort
                        nozzle. It did not fit properly and you can not get after market
                        props that would have been bigger to make the device better. I
                        used the Briggs on a boat sitting on a trailer I wanted to buy but
                        the boat went with the trailer. It was an old fiberglass fifteen
                        foot boat sitting on a trailer made for a boat 20+ feet long. It
                        has some nice fittings so I will saw the hull up with my Porter-
                        Cable Tiger saw into small chunks but the Briggs made the boat move
                        at 14 mph. Not enough to get the foam water soaked hull on plane
                        but just about.

                        The boat ran from one end of a thirty eight mile long lake to the
                        other and back to my house and dock on the shore line. I was just
                        puttering around and the boat ran all the time and my wife and I
                        could carry on a conversation at all times even at full throttle. I
                        modified a bracket and put the cable steering on the motor then
                        built a throttle bracket and a gear shift bracket on to the motor
                        from an old Evenrude outboard control system. You could not feel
                        the vibration from the helm but if you hold the tiller you can. When
                        we ended the trip I burned a huge amount of fuel, 1 .3 gallons of
                        fuel I gave the Briggs my best buy in four stroke engines. You
                        might find a better five horsepower engine but it will cost almost
                        triple the price. Plus the Briggs and Stratton is made in the USA.

                        I like the Honda but the Briggs beats the fuel mileage hands down.
                        I want to build a twenty foot dory with a motor well in it for
                        fishing the big rainbows on the big Upper Klamath Lake and the
                        Briggs will power it. I once had a drift boat that had a motor well
                        and nearly asphyxiated myself with a two stroke motor. The Briggs
                        will not do that. Go sign up at Duckworks and read Johns Tool
                        Crib. There are some pictures with the Briggs on the Brick and
                        using my lawn tractor with it's trailer to launch the Brick. I
                        almost forgot that I used the Briggs on my Pelican sailboat without
                        the mast and all unnecessary weight. It made it plane but it is
                        very light with a flat bottom, 12 feet long. Buy the motor and you
                        will not be disappointed.

                        The only other problem is that the company will not warranty the
                        motor when used in salt water. They don't have any zinc plugs on
                        it. The engineer is working on a stainless steel model but I bet
                        with zinc anodes I would run for a long time. It does take in water
                        to cool the transmission but not the motor head. If any thing
                        happened to the transmission I do not think the service center could
                        tell it was in salt water if you pump clean water through it like
                        you are supposed to anyway with any motor in salt water. I am going
                        to use this motor for my launch on the bigger boat I will be
                        building to travel to Mexico with every winter. I will hose the
                        motor with clean water and have a soluble oil bucket to run the
                        motor in for a few minutes after each use. I can replace the lower
                        end since the motor is air cooled. If push comes to shove I think
                        this little power house could push the boat I sailed down in if the
                        diesel motor failed and there was no wind.

                        John Cupp

                        subject=Unsubscribe>

                      • Wesley Cox
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 8, 2005
                          Thank you very much for the abundant details and I will read the
                          Duckworks article.

                        • Harry James
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 9, 2005
                            John Cupp of this group did a review of one for Duckworth's in his
                            November tool crib. Got a Brick to plane with it.

                            HJ

                          • gbship
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 9, 2005
                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Cupp" <john@k...> wrote:
                              > Hi Guys,
                              >
                              > The only other problem is that the company will not warranty the
                              > motor when used in salt water. They don't have any zinc plugs on
                              > it. The engineer is working on a stainless steel model but I bet
                              > with zinc anodes I would run for a long time.

                              I was intrigued enough about prior comments on the list about this
                              motor that I contacted the company to ask about a stainless steel
                              model. Their customer service department assured me they have no
                              present plans to introduce such a model. If John talked to the
                              engineer, he probably has better info, but if the customer service reps
                              haven't heard of it yet, it's probably a long way from being
                              introduced. Unfortunately for those of us with sailboats, there's also
                              no plans to introduce a long shaft model. If they had a stainless, long
                              shaft model, I'd have one next week.

                              Gary Blankenship
                            • John Cupp
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 10, 2005
                                For two weeks after they were selling the 3 hp electric Briggs and
                                Stratton motors the costomer service department didn't evem know of
                                their existance. I also asked them for media material on their 36
                                HP diesel motors and what transmission pattern was on the bell
                                housing and they told me they had never heard of the Diesel motor.

                                It is an asian diesel with a Briggs name on it and it runs about
                                $2,400.00 with a radiator and sevral marine transmissions fit it but
                                it would need a closed water/antifreeze system for warranty. It
                                can be fitted with a PTO shaft for running a genarator or large
                                bilge pump. A engine I would like to test soon.

                                I now only call their media department about problems because their
                                customer service is an outsourced call center with minimum wage
                                workers in a city nowhere near the production facilities or R&D
                                center. I cannot give out their media reps number but I can assure
                                you that I am still in contact with the company. BTW I was told not
                                to send the test engine back because it had been used with gasoline
                                and I could not ship it leagaly. So I still have the camo Briggs &
                                Stratton engine. I have seen lots of sail boats with adjustable
                                outboard engine brackets that could use long or short shaft motors.
                                My Pelican for example, I used an adjustable bracket and started the
                                motor out of the water then lowered it to the proper depth. For the
                                price of the motor I would find a way to make the short shaft work.

                                Unfortunatly I had to purchase my Honda outboard a few years back
                                but I bought the long shaft kit that was an optional item for
                                $640.00. I have never used the long shaft yet I will never buy
                                another Honda motor without an electric starter When it is hard to
                                start I just can not maintain pulling the stupid rope for very
                                long. That is the main selling point for the Briggs motor. One
                                light pull and it's running, if you have hooked up the fuel tank and
                                let air into the bleeder. I will call my Briggs Rep this week and
                                ask about the SS model. Who knows they may make it a eight or ten
                                HP model since the fives are selling so well.

                                John

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gbship" <gbship@c...> wrote:
                                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Cupp" <john@k...> wrote:
                                > > Hi Guys,
                                > >
                                > > The only other problem is that the company will not warranty the
                                > > motor when used in salt water. They don't have any zinc plugs
                                on
                                > > it. The engineer is working on a stainless steel model but I
                                bet
                                > > with zinc anodes I would run for a long time.
                                >
                                > I was intrigued enough about prior comments on the list about this
                                > motor that I contacted the company to ask about a stainless steel
                                > model. Their customer service department assured me they have no
                                > present plans to introduce such a model. If John talked to the
                                > engineer, he probably has better info, but if the customer service
                                reps
                                > haven't heard of it yet, it's probably a long way from being
                                > introduced. Unfortunately for those of us with sailboats, there's
                                also
                                > no plans to introduce a long shaft model. If they had a stainless,
                                long
                                > shaft model, I'd have one next week.
                                >
                                > Gary Blankenship
                              • mark
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 10, 2005
                                  keeping with the topic.

                                  has anyone tried one of these

                                  http://www.morganequipment.net/page13.html

                                  cheers
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 10, 2005
                                    On 5/10/05, mark <planzman@...> wrote:
                                    > has anyone tried one of these [diesel outboards]
                                    > http://www.morganequipment.net/page13.html

                                    Do they start on one pull of the rope? <grin>
                                  • jerry ziak
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 10, 2005
                                      I have had a close look at one and the engines look
                                      really well finished - the rest of the thing looks
                                      like some farmer made it. Stainless steel - strongly
                                      fabricated but very very utilitarian.

                                      David

                                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/6iY7fA/5WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/_0TolB/TM