[bolger] Topaz

  • sailormon@torchlake.com
    Message 1 of 52 , Oct 4, 1999
      First I would like to thank Chuck for making available the information
      on the Tapaz to the readers. I contacted him in this regard and he had
      already done the leg work. What a guy.
      At this point in the building I am up against the problem of weight.
      Like most of you who are building for performance or are in to the
      bigger boats, this problem looms high. Having built the bulkheads, I
      am already concerned about the totals weight of the boat. Yes, it is
      supposed to weigh 2500-3000lb. However, my chevy can haul 3000# max.
      Soooo what to do. I am propsing to cut out spaces, decorative or
      othewise in the bulkheads. Those that look like fish or something
      pretty will stay. Those that are just circles etc. I plan to fill with
      1/2" blue board and glass lightly over. I think I can dispose of a few
      pounds or so this way. If you have not used this, don't worry. By the
      way, remove the plastic that covers these sheets or you will not get a
      bond. I built the webbing for an airplane, plus the the wing truss
      and glassed it. Later when done flew the plane and as far as I know it
      is still up there in another town with a new owner. Many of the area's
      need to be somewhat solid as they abutt the settee etc.
      My question is, will I be able to lighten up on the sides or bottom in
      any way. The bottom is two layers of 1/2" ply and the sides are 1/2".
      I considered thinning the bottom and using unidirectional glass (two
      layers of 12 oz) cross ways to stiffen the ply. On the sides I thought
      I saw a pic, of layering of ply in a webbing fashion. Any suggestions
      from someone who has beem here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
      Brad
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 26, 2006
        Can you tell me about the topaz?

        Topaz is a design sold by Phil Bolger, essentially a shallow draft
        double ended outboard runabout, mostly out of plywood.

        I think that three have been built in the 'enclosed cabin' version,
        and I am the first to build in the 'open runabout' version. I think
        it could be built with MDO plywood, (without fiberglass), making it
        somewhat 'disposable', but with a boat this big (31ft) there is some
        justification towards spending the $/time to build it more
        substantially w/plywood/epoxy/fiberglass composite.

        Some photos of a Topaz build here:

        http://journeyboats.com/photo_journal.htm

        I used a different quicker technique for the bottom build, with no
        'table', Silicon Bronze nails instead of screws, and I was happy with
        the time saved.

        Presently, I am partially done, doing interior fitout (most recently,
        the 'faux-teak' floorboard planking between the seats and in the
        cockpit) plus painting of the underseat compartments. Two weeks ago,
        I installed the narrow curved midship top deck strake (20ft x 6"
        tilted and curved), for which I used Free!ship to calculate the
        layout. Handy software!