Dr. Vincent Reddish

  • Wolfgang
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2005
      Hi Nels, hi everybody,
      I think it might be a good idea for you and everybody else, who might
      be interested in Long Micro/navigator/chinese gaff upgrade to send a
      fax to PCB. Just to alert him about the rising intrest on the scene.
      I would happily share costs for an authorized upgrade.
      Personally i would go for a version with a fixed mast right in front
      of the hatch, which would a nice space for the anchor gear and a
      good access to the and all falls and sheets, just in case something
      needs attention. Also in my humble opinion this mast position would
      qualify nicely for an either Bolger style gaff rigg or an Vincent
      Reddish kind of junkrig. Of course there´s a little guessing involved
      here. What do you guys think?
      Cheers
      Wolfgang, who´s at the moment suffering of a violent sunburn
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2005
        > qualify nicely for an either Bolger style gaff rigg or an Vincent
        > Reddish kind of junkrig. Of course there´s a little guessing involved
        > here. What do you guys think?
        > Wolfgang

        FWIW, I think that Bolger, [and also I think Altenberger]
        are sceptical about junk rigs, [based mostly on their
        comments on the junkrig for AS29]. see:

        This comment about beliefs in Junk Rigs catches my eye:

        <quote>"But the urge to attribute some particular magic wisdom to
        the eastern ancients that 'shall not be tampered with' is in the class
        with George Harrison going to India to find 'his Guru' - hip, at that
        time, and probably with good intentions, but apparently not necessarily
        the universal key to enlightened proceedings afterwards. "</quote>

        As far as a Chinese Gaff rig on a Long Micro, maybe PB&F will
        support it. But the reason they put that rig on Micro Navigator was that
        operation of the rig was required from *inside* the cabin, with no
        cockpit *and* safety was needed in Roaring Fourties offshore conditions.
        That same reason is not in play with a Long Micro, as it has a cockpit,
        [Roaring Forties, I don't know.]

        I suspect that the ultra simple and effective sprit sails of Long
        Micro are still the best choice for most. What is your problem
        with that rig after all?

        IOW, if it ain't broke, why fix it?
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2005

          >> <quote>"But the urge to attribute some particular magic wisdom to
          > the eastern ancients that 'shall not be tampered with' is in the
          class
          > with George Harrison going to India to find 'his Guru' - hip, at
          that
          > time, and probably with good intentions, but apparently not
          necessarily
          > the universal key to enlightened proceedings afterwards. "</quote>

          Having watched the George Harrison commemoration special on PBS with
          Ravi Shankar's daughter performing on sitar, I really believe George
          was not far off. But then I also practiced TM for about 35 years:-)

          > As far as a Chinese Gaff rig on a Long Micro, maybe PB&F will
          > support it. But the reason they put that rig on Micro Navigator
          was that
          > operation of the rig was required from *inside* the cabin, with no
          > cockpit *and* safety was needed in Roaring Fourties offshore
          conditions.
          > That same reason is not in play with a Long Micro, as it has a
          cockpit,
          > [Roaring Forties, I don't know.]

          Long Micro has no cockpit as designed, just a larger hold than Micro.
          And yes PCB&F have stated that a Long Micro Navigator would be a
          better off-shore boat than the shorter Micro Navigator. But they have
          not pursued it because there has been little interest shown and they
          are busier with other things. Also the mods for the Micro Navigator
          can easily be applied to a Long Micro which already has a tabernacle,
          end plate on the rudder and enclosed bow.

          > I suspect that the ultra simple and effective sprit sails of Long
          > Micro are still the best choice for most. What is your problem
          > with that rig after all?

          The problem is the same as with the Micro Navigator. It would not
          clear a pilot house and it would not reef as easily. Most of Bolger's
          designs that have a pilot house have either a gaff or lug rig.

          What I really want to have is the inside comfort to get out of the
          sun and/or cold at times and still be able to see all around me, and
          with the LM you get stand up headroom inside. (The hull is deeper.)

          Also I plan to do some part-time living aboard and still have the
          capability to trailer relatively easy. I can use the very same
          trailer and cradle and motor that I already have with Lestat. Just I
          won't have the same level of workmanship:-)

          Cheers, Nels
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2005
            > The problem is the same as with the Micro Navigator.
            > It would not clear a pilot house and it would not reef as easily.

            Sorry to have come across so down on your idea, I actually
            think your Long Micro modifications are promising!

            Are you positive that the sprit sail wouldn't fit around the
            cabin? I have spent a couple hours already detailing
            the sprit sail rig on the Navigator (clearances to the pilot house etc.)
            I have concluded that it would actually work. Reefing would
            be with a braile line, similar to the Leg-o-mutton rig for
            Birdwatcher. Of course the truth would be in testing,
            and I am very close to deciding to whip up a mast and
            polytarp sail prototype as a test.
          • craig o'donnell
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5, 2005

              >> I suspect that the ultra simple and effective sprit sails of Long
              >> Micro are still the best choice for most. What is your problem
              >> with that rig after all?
              >>
              >The problem is the same as with the Micro Navigator. It would not
              >clear a pilot house and it would not reef as easily. Most of Bolger's
              >designs that have a pilot house have either a gaff or lug rig.

              You can use a sprit boom on a gaff or standing lug. Works well. Munroe's
              sharpies has sails with a short gaff and a sprit boom which actually had
              the snotter at the outboard end.
              --
              Craig O'Donnell
              Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

              -- Macintosh kinda guy
              Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.