Re: [bolger] Re: Otter

  • Bruce Fountain
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2005
      Bruce Hallman wrote:
      >mainmast is a high peaked gaff, not a gunter.
      >
      > This could easily be true, I am not sure I know the difference.

      A gunter is like a gaff, but the gaff itself is vertical (ie it
      continues in a straight line from the top of the mast). The sail
      is cut triangular, like a bermuda rig. This is the rig on my
      daughter's Heron, and it has much to recommend it - essentially
      a bermuda-like rig, except that the spars are much smaller and
      there is no need for sail tracks to raise the mainsail. The
      Heron's mast is stayed, and I doubt that an unstayed gunter would
      be feasible.

      I would be interested to hear Bolger's objection to the gunter.

      Bruce Fountain
      Systems Engineer
      Union Switch & Signal
      Perth, Western Australia

    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2005
        > was always very fast compared with other boats at Messabouts.
        It's got the speed. It's got the looks. But

        > If Bolger had just reorganised the rig a little, the original
        Otter might
        > have been much more popular and I rather wonder why he didn't.

        Both Bruce and Karl have posted that the designed rig is "Cat-
        Schooner with a Jigger".

        I've now got an impression of what a "Jigger" is.

        Since little I've always been favourably visually impressed by the
        S C H O O N E R rig. For confirmed Bolgeristas, I'm betting the rig
        of Otter is not too visually off-putting. I'd reckon Mr Bolger had
        his reasons. I'm looking forward to seeing an Otter built with this
        rig, or just the sailplan. (I don't much like the look of the stick-
        up rig shown in Reuel Parker's *The Sharpie Book* at page 107 - an
        added mast stuck in the bow and leaning forward.)

        > Sheryl Crowe indeed!
        Gavin this reference eludes me? Is Sheryl a looker as in "good", or
        a looker? The gazed or gazer?
        graeme
      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2005
          > >mainmast is a high peaked gaff, not a gunter.
          >
          > This could easily be true, I am not sure I know the difference.

          In the gaff the yard extends along the head of the sail.

          In the gunter the yard extends along the upper (perhaps half) luff.
          The luff in way of the yard is fastened (laced) to the yard. The
          luff may be straight, as in a marconi, making for a triangular sail;
          or it may have a slight angle in way of the yard making for a
          quadrilateral sail. With the sail rigged the yard stands verticle,
          or nearly so. The yard is referred to as 'yard' or 'upper mast', but
          not 'gaff'. As sail is reefed the yard Remains Verticle and slides
          down behind the mast ( there are quite a few ways of rigging this -
          one involving a throat halyard and peak halyard similar to the gaff
          rig; another involving a peak halyard sliding on a wire span fitted
          full length along the fore of the yard fastened near the ends of the
          yard, and also having a throat halyard).

          In boats to 30ft or so the gunter has a number of benificial
          attributes, some of which are: it can be peaked up nearly as good as
          a marconi making it weatherly; the weight of the yard overcomes
          binding of the sail to the mast, helping the sail down when reefing;
          weight aloft is reduced when reefed, as the yard is lowered; and the
          short spars can be stowed within the boat length when the rig is
          struck. Others could probably add further.

          Many boating and sailing books I have read give the gunter rig a
          good recommendation for small boats. I have a feeling that PCB does
          not like the gunter, even strongly dislikes it. I think I might of
          seen it alluded to that he has explained why, but I've not read it.
          Graeme
        • Gavin Atkin
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 3, 2005
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984"
            <graeme19121984@y...> wrote:

            > Since little I've always been favourably visually impressed by
            the
            > S C H O O N E R rig. For confirmed Bolgeristas, I'm betting the
            rig
            > of Otter is not too visually off-putting. I'd reckon Mr Bolger had
            > his reasons. I'm looking forward to seeing an Otter built with
            this
            > rig, or just the sailplan. (I don't much like the look of the stick-
            > up rig shown in Reuel Parker's *The Sharpie Book* at page
            107 - an
            > added mast stuck in the bow and leaning forward.)

            The original Otter is very different to either a traditional schooner
            or a stickup. You'll have to come to your own conclusions.
            Beholders and all that. For myself I'm mildly surprised that the
            Otter sails as well as it apparently does - surely there are just too
            many sails involved.

            > > Sheryl Crowe indeed!
            > Gavin this reference eludes me?

            This was a trivial reply to a trivial reference to a previous mail
            about light dories. If it didn't make you smile there's no need to
            give it any more brain time. But like many trivial things I decided
            to waste time reappraising my view of Sheryl Crowe's
            appearance. There's no doubt that she's a striking and beautiful
            youngish songster. Wonder if she likes boats? ;-))

            Seriously, though, googling on her name brought me to this:
            http://itsb.ucsf.edu/~vcr/Skinnies2003LizTaylor.html

            That pic of Bush senior makes you think, doesn't it? I'm always
            struck by the sun damaged skin on parade at my local sailing
            club. So take care...

            Gavin
          • Gavin Atkin
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 3, 2005
              <graeme19121984@y...> wrote:

              > Since little I've always been favourably visually impressed by
              the
              > S C H O O N E R rig. For confirmed Bolgeristas, I'm betting the
              rig
              > of Otter is not too visually off-putting. I'd reckon Mr Bolger had
              > his reasons. I'm looking forward to seeing an Otter built with
              this
              > rig, or just the sailplan. (I don't much like the look of the stick-
              > up rig shown in Reuel Parker's *The Sharpie Book* at page
              107 - an
              > added mast stuck in the bow and leaning forward.)

              The original Otter is very different to either a traditional schooner
              or a stickup. You'll have to come to your own conclusions.
              Beholders and all that. For myself I'm mildly surprised that the
              Otter sails as well as it apparently does - surely there are just too
              many sails involved.

              > > Sheryl Crowe indeed!
              > Gavin this reference eludes me?

              This was a trivial reply to a trivial reference to a previous mail
              about light dories. If it didn't make you smile there's no need to
              give it any more brain time. But like many trivial things I decided
              to waste time reappraising my view of Sheryl Crowe's
              appearance. There's no doubt that she's a striking and beautiful
              youngish songster. Wonder if she likes boats? ;-))

              Seriously, though, googling on her name brought me to this:
              http://itsb.ucsf.edu/~vcr/Skinnies2003LizTaylor.html

              That pic of Bush senior makes you think, doesn't it? I'm always
              struck by the sun damaged skin on parade at my local sailing
              club. So take care...

              Gavin
            • John Bell
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 3, 2005