Re: [bolger] Digest Number 2387

  • leoandsandy@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
      Quite and interesting letter, Gary. I wonder if you would be interested
      in an explanation of how you rig your balanced lug to be reefed from the
      cockpit? I sail the Martha Jane, SCOUT, and appreciate your experience
      and ideas. Leo Smith

    • John B. Trussell
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
        Leo--I have a very small balanced lug on a 12 ft dink (Michalak's Mixer), complete with lazy jacks and jiffy reefing. I run a line from the aft end of the boom, up through the aft reef cringle, back down to a small cheek block on the aft end of the boom, forward to a cheek block on the forward end of the boom, up to the forward reef cringle, and back down to the forward end of the boom. To reef, lower the yard, pull the jiffy reefing line tight (to pull the reef cringles down to the boom), cleat the jiffy reefing line to a cleat on the boom, tie in the reef points, hoist the yard, and tighten the downhaul.

        It takes a lot of words, but not much time or effort.

        John T
        Quite and interesting letter, Gary. I wonder if you would be interested
        in an explanation of how you rig your balanced lug to be reefed from the
        cockpit? I sail the Martha Jane, SCOUT, and appreciate your experience
        and ideas. Leo Smith

        Bolger rules!!!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor