Bought Bolger books!

  • Gavin Atkin
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2 1:31 AM
      In a second-hand bookshop in the South-East of England I was delighted this
      week to find a copy of The Folding Schooner and 30 Odd Boats for £35 the
      pair! Lovely...

      I don't know how many copies were ever sold here, but my strong impression
      is that the number must be very few, so I feel very lucky.

      Gavin

    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2 5:42 AM
        Congratulations!

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2 7:27 AM
          I launched my Micro Navigator on Christmas Day
          at the Half Moon Bay harbor, just down the
          road from my house. Just outside where I launched
          there is this reef, Mavericks, on which at times the
          ocean swell stacks up BIG! Well, now is that time.

          Here are photos from the day before yesterday,
          and today is similar.

          http://www.mavsurfer.com/frank_quirarte/gallery/
        • Sam Glasscock
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2 7:40 AM
            Neat. About a year ago I was checking eBay and came
            across a set of Bolger books for sale, I believe
            30-Odd Boats, Small Boats, Folding Schooner and Boats
            with an Open mind. They had just been listed for
            auction, with a "buy it now" price in the twenty or
            thirty dollar range. I immediately bought them. Five
            minutes later I got an e-mail from a very nice lady
            admitting that I had purchased the books, but asking
            me to set the sale aside. Apparently she had been
            cleaning house, bundling up piles of old books and
            putting them on eBay. Her husband noticed that his
            Bolger books had been swept up in this purge, and was
            horrified. She immediately tried to cancel the
            auction, but too late, I had already bitten. Of
            course, I let her keep the books, but for a few brief
            moments I owned all four at a bargain price, at least
            in theory. Sam
            --- Gavin Atkin <gmatkin@...> wrote:

            > In a second-hand bookshop in the South-East of
            > England I was delighted this
            > week to find a copy of The Folding Schooner and 30
            > Odd Boats for �35 the
            > pair! Lovely...
            >
            > I don't know how many copies were ever sold here,
            > but my strong impression
            > is that the number must be very few, so I feel very
            > lucky.
            >
            > Gavin
            >

            > --
            > Date: 28/02/2005

            __________________________________
            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
          • David
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2 9:06 AM
              > I launched my Micro Navigator on Christmas Day
              > at the Half Moon Bay harbor, just down the
              > road from my house. Just outside where I launched
              > there is this reef, Mavericks, on which at times the
              > ocean swell stacks up BIG! Well, now is that time.
              >
              > Here are photos from the day before yesterday,
              > and today is similar.
              >
              > http://www.mavsurfer.com/frank_quirarte/gallery/

              ************

              Hi Bruce,

              Typically, I'm just a lurker here - chiming in when the topic turns to
              woodworking or wood technology. Had to comment on these photos though.
              Do you surf the Mavericks break? If so, you have my sincere
              admiration. At the apex of my surfing career, I surfed a similar sized
              shore break, called The Point, near Seaside, Oregon. Sphincter City! I
              survived - and apparently looked OK doing it. However, it left me with
              a huge appreciation of, and respect for, breaks like Maverick & N.
              Shore (Hawaii). Anyway, thanks for the photos - how was the sail? Was
              it an offshore wind? Kinda looks like it from the photos. Did you have
              to tack back to shore? How did the boat hold up in those conditions?
              How is windage from the cabin? Overall, what are your impressions so
              far? I really like the looks of the Navigator option, but look forward
              to hearing more about the performance.

              Cheers,
              David Graybeal
              Portland, OR.

              "The brave man carves out his fortune, and every man is the son of his
              own works" - Cervantes
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2 10:01 AM
                > Do you surf the Mavericks break?

                You have to be a prime physical specimen to
                survive that surf, and I am not that!
                IE, if you are a 1/10th of a second late, you free fall 30+
                feet into the trough, 100 tons of water crash on you
                pushing you another 30 feet to the rocky bottom,
                it takes a minute to figure out which way is up and
                swim back to the surface, and immediately another
                100 tons of water push you back down.

                > it an offshore wind? Kinda looks like it from the photos. Did you have
                > to tack back to shore? How did the boat hold up in those conditions?
                > How is windage from the cabin? Overall, what are your impressions so
                > far? I really like the looks of the Navigator option, but look forward
                > to hearing more about the performance.

                I am very excited about Micro Navigator. An early decision I made
                was to choose a microcruiser with no compromise that I also
                wanted a racer. The glasshouse cabin is warm, cushy and
                wonderful having nearly full standing headroom for me six feet
                tall plus two full length berths, upholstered like living room sofas
                with picture windows all around.

                The Cat Yawl rig feels great, and the reefing system works like
                a charm. Overall the 'feel' of the boat is safe, powerful, comfortable
                and stable. All this in a 15'4" package.

                I haven't really tested the windward ability yet, and I don't really
                care. Sailing for fun, I choose a broad reach. I have only sailed it
                once, and it certainly felt fast. Also, the guy I talked to at the
                dock who had been watching me commented that it looked fast.
                [probably somewhat of an illusion due to the small size of the boat]

                I imagine that if simply have to get to windward fast, I will fire up
                the motor. Indeed, in San Francisco, you got to pay attention to
                the currents which can easily overwhelm a boat with a hull speed
                like mine. Plus most of the good sail routes from downtown, as
                I see it, are reaches during the prevailing westerlies.

                I am not pessimistic about the pointing ability, especially after I
                tune the taper(s) of my full width battens to give the sail a
                better airfoil shape. Presently, they are too stiff, and the sail
                is a bit too flat.

                I have just a few nits to pick. The Honda 9.9 outboard I got
                for cheap should have been a short shaft, and could be much
                smaller horse power. Presently, it is full hull speed ahead at
                just above idle.

                Rigging the sail off a trailer takes an hour or so, but my long
                term intentions are to keep it in a marina and day sail it anyway.

                When I want to slow speed maneuver at the dock or the ramp,
                things get awkward. I have fabricated up a 'jellyfish push oar'
                to a [telescoping swimming pool brush handle / boat hook] to
                help with these situations. I am not sure that the cabin
                windage is a big part of the problem or not, as the fin keel
                presents a pretty big area of lateral resistance, plus the
                boat has a strong forward momentum [where are the brakes!]

                Also, my self engineered photovoltaic system isn't charging
                the batteries, which is annoying. And, I still get a cup or
                two of water leaking in though the topsides somewhere
                when it rains hard, arrgh.
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2 12:41 PM
                  > the Mavericks break?

                  Have you seen the live Mavericks cam?

                  http://www.mavsurfer.com/live_cam/

                  Obivously, it varies with the time of day
                  and daylight hours. The html is funky
                  on and off, try paging over the the right
                  if it is.
                • Dan Burrill
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 4 8:31 AM
                    >>In a second-hand bookshop in the South-East of England I was
                    >
                    > delighted this
                    >
                    >>week to find a copy of The Folding Schooner and 30 Odd Boats for £35
                    >
                    > the
                    >
                    >>pair! Lovely...
                    >>
                    >>I don't know how many copies were ever sold here, but my strong
                    >
                    > impression
                    >
                    >>is that the number must be very few, so I feel very lucky.

                    I'd agree with that.

                    The only Bolger book I have at the moment is BWAOM, though I've got both
                    of Payson's Instant Boat books and a couple of his smaller ones (Bobcat
                    and the Glocester Light Dory). The cheapest I can find any of PCB's
                    other books on Bookfinder.com is about £35-£50 each, with shipping &
                    handling adding 25-40% on top of that.

                    Having said that, when I get myself a job again (and have found my
                    currently missing cat) I'll probably end up paying for them, as they're
                    high on the list of 'must have' acquisitions for my library.

                    Dan