Re: More dipping lugger (probably too much...)

  • captreed48
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2005
      The boat is still rigged as a
      > balanced lugger, and the sail can be raised, lowered and up to
      triple
      > reefed from the cockpit.

      Hi Gary,

      Not too much at all. Fascinating, actually.

      I was curious how you managed to reef the balanced lug from the
      cockpit.

      Reed
    • craig o'donnell
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 2, 2005
        >If you compare
        >the drawings for dipping and balanced lugs, you'll see that a lot
        >more of the foot of the dipping lug is forward of the mast than the
        >balanced lug. The boom downhaul on the balanced rig was slid forward
        >a couple feet and the windward performance improved dramatically. The
        >dipping lug, though, was faster on the wind and my impression was it
        >was closer-winded as well.

        I'm trying to picture this and I'm not succeeding. You mean simply
        "pivoting" the boom further forward, or physically sliding the whole sail
        forward? Or ... ?
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

        -- Macintosh kinda guy
        Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
        _________________________________
      • gbship
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 2, 2005
          Reed & Bruce:
          The boat is a custom design from Bolger. It's basically a doubled
          Gypsy, about twice as long and not quite twice as wide. Originally it
          had a deep fixed fin keel; it now has a shorter keel with wings.

          On reefing, lines are rigged at the luff and leech like conventional
          jiffy reefing lines, only they are led through turning blocks at the
          mast, and then back to the cockpit. There's a couple cleats at the
          mast where the boom downhaul the block (I use three sets of double
          blocks) have a rope tail and are fastened to those cleats. It might
          be better to fastened them to the boom at the pivot point, but that's
          a lot of blocks on a not very wide boom. BTW, the reefing lines led
          this way become the boom downhaul when the sail is reefed. The third
          reef is my substitute for a security blanket. It seems to add about
          triple the tendency to foul things up over just having two reefs, but
          if the lines are led carefully, it works. There are line stoppers and
          a #20 Barlow winch at the aft end of the cabin top to help handle the
          lines.

          If you like, I can e-mail some pictures of the reefing setup.

          Gary Blankenship
          Tallahassee, FL

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "captreed48" <captreed@s...> wrote:

          > The boat is still rigged as a
          > > balanced lugger, and the sail can be raised, lowered and up to
          > triple
          > > reefed from the cockpit.
          >
          > Hi Gary,
          >
          > Not too much at all. Fascinating, actually.
          >
          > I was curious how you managed to reef the balanced lug from the
          > cockpit.
          >
          > Reed
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 2, 2005
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gbship" <gbship@c...> wrote:

            > Reed & Bruce:
            > If you like, I can e-mail some pictures of the reefing setup.
            >
            > Gary Blankenship
            > Tallahassee, FL

            Hi Gary,

            Would be great if you could post them to Bolger4photos or if you
            email them to Bruce maybe he would if you are not a member of all the
            groups.

            We also be interested in you experience with the swing wing keel and
            how complicated it was to build and use and anything else you would
            like to share about the boat and it's capabilites, and how seaworthy
            and effecient it is.

            I have always been fascinated by the idea of such a simple design
            having such potential.

            Thanks, Nels
          • Harry James
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 2, 2005
              CC me also please

              welshman@...

              HJ

              gbship wrote:

              >Reed & Bruce:
              >The boat is a custom design from Bolger. It's basically a doubled
              >Gypsy, about twice as long and not quite twice as wide. Originally it
              >had a deep fixed fin keel; it now has a shorter keel with wings.
              >
              >On reefing, lines are rigged at the luff and leech like conventional
              >jiffy reefing lines, only they are led through turning blocks at the
              >mast, and then back to the cockpit. There's a couple cleats at the
              >mast where the boom downhaul the block (I use three sets of double
              >blocks) have a rope tail and are fastened to those cleats. It might
              >be better to fastened them to the boom at the pivot point, but that's
              >a lot of blocks on a not very wide boom. BTW, the reefing lines led
              >this way become the boom downhaul when the sail is reefed. The third
              >reef is my substitute for a security blanket. It seems to add about
              >triple the tendency to foul things up over just having two reefs, but
              >if the lines are led carefully, it works. There are line stoppers and
              >a #20 Barlow winch at the aft end of the cabin top to help handle the
              >lines.
              >
              >If you like, I can e-mail some pictures of the reefing setup.
              >
              >Gary Blankenship
              >Tallahassee, FL
              >

              >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "captreed48" <captreed@s...> wrote:
              >

              >> The boat is still rigged as a
              >>

              >>>balanced lugger, and the sail can be raised, lowered and up to
              >>>

              >>triple
              >>

              >>>reefed from the cockpit.
              >>>

              >>Hi Gary,
              >>
              >>Not too much at all. Fascinating, actually.
              >>
              >>I was curious how you managed to reef the balanced lug from the
              >>cockpit.
              >>
              >>Reed
              >>

              >Bolger rules!!!
              >Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              >.

            • captreed48
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 2, 2005
                Hi Gary,

                Thank you for the explanation. I had 3 jiffy reefs on a balanced lug
                and the boom was crowded. One thing I did was put the forward
                attachment point for the third reef aft along the boom so the COE
                didn't move forward with that reef.

                I've changed the rig to a standing lug that allows roller reefing.
                Since the luff moves aft when reefing no lee helm developes.

                Your lug nut, Reed
              • gbship
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 3, 2005
                  Nels:
                  I wrote a long article about the wing keel, titled Wing Keel
                  Travails< for Duckworks Magazine (www.duckworksmagazine.com, and you
                  can find it in the December 2004 archives, although I think you have
                  to be a member to read it. If you not, I'll copy it and send it to
                  you.
                  In a nutshell, it worked, but was complicated to install and get the
                  angle of the wings set properly. It was neat. the keel pivoted up
                  like a centerboard, while the wings rotated to remain parallel to the
                  bottom. Unfortunately a key part failed, and the wings are now fixed
                  in place. The keel still swing up, but the wings obviiously create
                  more drag the more the keel is lifted. I joke that I've got the only
                  sailboat with brakes. As originally installed, you could sail with
                  the keel lifted and you could use it to adjust helm balanced. Now its
                  only raised to get in and out of shallow channels, and under power.

                  Bolger told me this was a prototype effort, and he intended to use my
                  experience to include a swing wing, with the swiveling wings, on the
                  Insolent 60, but I've never seen drawings of any information on that
                  design, so I don't know if that was done. If anyone has seen plans
                  for the Insolent 60, let me know!

                  Gary Blankenship

                  > We also be interested in you experience with the swing wing keel
                  and
                  > how complicated it was to build and use and anything else you would
                  > like to share about the boat and it's capabilites, and how
                  seaworthy
                  > and effecient it is.
                  >
                  > I have always been fascinated by the idea of such a simple design
                  > having such potential.
                  >
                  > Thanks, Nels
                • Harry James
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 3, 2005
                    I know two on this list that really want to see them:)

                    HJ

                    gbship wrote:

                    >Nels:
                    >I wrote a long article about the wing keel, titled Wing Keel
                    >Travails< for Duckworks Magazine (www.duckworksmagazine.com, and you
                    >can find it in the December 2004 archives, although I think you have
                    >to be a member to read it. If you not, I'll copy it and send it to
                    >you.
                    >In a nutshell, it worked, but was complicated to install and get the
                    >angle of the wings set properly. It was neat. the keel pivoted up
                    >like a centerboard, while the wings rotated to remain parallel to the
                    >bottom. Unfortunately a key part failed, and the wings are now fixed
                    >in place. The keel still swing up, but the wings obviiously create
                    >more drag the more the keel is lifted. I joke that I've got the only
                    >sailboat with brakes. As originally installed, you could sail with
                    >the keel lifted and you could use it to adjust helm balanced. Now its
                    >only raised to get in and out of shallow channels, and under power.
                    >
                    >Bolger told me this was a prototype effort, and he intended to use my
                    >experience to include a swing wing, with the swiveling wings, on the
                    >Insolent 60, but I've never seen drawings of any information on that
                    >design, so I don't know if that was done. If anyone has seen plans
                    >for the Insolent 60, let me know!
                    >
                    >Gary Blankenship
                    >

                    >>We also be interested in you experience with the swing wing keel
                    >>

                    >and
                    >

                    >>how complicated it was to build and use and anything else you would
                    >>like to share about the boat and it's capabilites, and how
                    >>

                    >seaworthy
                    >

                    >>and effecient it is.
                    >>
                    >>I have always been fascinated by the idea of such a simple design
                    >>having such potential.
                    >>
                    >>Thanks, Nels
                    >>

                    >Bolger rules!!!
                    >Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >

                    >.

                  • Nels
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 3, 2005
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gbship" <gbship@c...> wrote:

                      > Nels:
                      > I wrote a long article about the wing keel, titled Wing Keel
                      > Travails< for Duckworks Magazine (www.duckworksmagazine.com, and
                      you
                      > can find it in the December 2004 archives, although I think you
                      have
                      > to be a member to read it. If you not, I'll copy it and send it to
                      > you.

                      Hi Gary,

                      For some reason I missed reading the entire December issue! Thanks
                      for the great article and also the updates.

                      I enquired quite awhile back about installing a small swing wing keel
                      in a Long Micro salient keel to give it some added offhsore
                      capability while not intruding on the cabin space. I was informed
                      that that it was most likly to add nothing to a hull of that shape
                      and hull speed. It is a keel designed for a fast narrow hull like
                      yours.

                      Great name for a boat!

                      Cheers, Nels
                    • Susan Davis
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 5, 2005
                        > If anyone has seen plans for the Insolent 60, let me know!

                        I have a preliminary draft of the plans; scans of the plan view and
                        interior layout are in the Photos section on Bolger4.

                        -- Sue --
                        (I read your article and enjoyed it very much, btw.)

                        --
                        Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                      • Gary Blankenship
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 5, 2005
                          Susan:
                          I signed up for Bolger4, but can't find the Insolent scans either in the photos or the files. Am I missing something or are they in a folder titled something elese?

                          Gary

                          > If anyone has seen plans for the Insolent 60, let me know!

                          I have a preliminary draft of the plans; scans of the plan view and
                          interior layout are in the Photos section on Bolger4.

                          -- Sue --
                          (I read your article and enjoyed it very much, btw.)

                          --
                          Susan Davis <futabachan@...>

                          Bolger rules!!!

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Susan Davis
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 5, 2005
                            Gary:
                            > I signed up for Bolger4, but can't find the Insolent scans either
                            > in the photos or the files. Am I missing something or are they in
                            > a folder titled something else?

                            Eep! Sorry... they're on Bolger3.

                            --
                            Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 6, 2005
                              http://community.webshots.com/album/289729965jYUhbR/0

                              Just got back from a fun trip on my Micro Navigator,
                              our first 'overnight' trip. Lots of fun, some calm weather,
                              and then good wind in the afternoons, including a great
                              reach home across the Golden Gate, with 3 or 4 foot seas.

                              I had a couple realizations, first, with the hull speed
                              of a 15 1/2 boat, it doesn't really take much sail
                              to get the boat up to 'hull speed', beyond that is
                              just wasted effort on such small hull.

                              Also, budget extra time, where ever you go, boat ramp,
                              the dock, etc.. for the conversations with the passer-by's
                              Really! I am not exaggerating that a dozen times in the
                              last two days I was engaged by total strangers wanting
                              to know more. If I was a drinker, I got offered enough
                              'can I buy you a drink?'s" to get rather drunk if I had desired.
                              Like it or not, sail an odd looking boat, and you become a
                              de-facto Bolger emissary.

                              Susan, David prepare yourself.

                              The funny thing about the boat is that if feels
                              simply huge inside, and when you get out and
                              compare it to ther other boats, it seems very
                              much tiny, 'Micro'.

                              I got to try it out for 'windward' ability, and not
                              having anything to measure against, it is hard
                              to explain. But we left downtown San Francisco,
                              under the typical 'westerly' and were able to do
                              a long tack to windward ending up at downtown
                              Sausalito. Not disappointing windward progress
                              at all.
                            • dbaldnz
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 7, 2005
                                Great Stuff Bruce!
                                I like that salty shot looking aft with some nice heel.
                                Windscreen wipers for the front next?
                                She looks fine sitting in the berth next to the other yachts.
                                I got everything set last saturday, wife organised to take sailing
                                photos, loaded the gear in the car, got there and guess
                                what?....painted ships on a painted sea. No wind at all for the rest
                                of the day, so we went home again.
                                DonB
                                > http://community.webshots.com/album/289729965jYUhbR/0
                                >
                                > Just got back from a fun trip on my Micro Navigator,
                                > our first 'overnight' trip. Lots of fun, some calm weather,
                                > and then good wind in the afternoons, including a great
                                > reach home across the Golden Gate, with 3 or 4 foot seas.
                                >
                                > I had a couple realizations, first, with the hull speed
                                > of a 15 1/2 boat, it doesn't really take much sail
                                > to get the boat up to 'hull speed', beyond that is
                                > just wasted effort on such small hull.
                                >
                                > Also, budget extra time, where ever you go, boat ramp,
                                > the dock, etc.. for the conversations with the passer-by's
                                > Really! I am not exaggerating that a dozen times in the
                                > last two days I was engaged by total strangers wanting
                                > to know more. If I was a drinker, I got offered enough
                                > 'can I buy you a drink?'s" to get rather drunk if I had desired.
                                > Like it or not, sail an odd looking boat, and you become a
                                > de-facto Bolger emissary.
                                >
                                > Susan, David prepare yourself.
                                >
                                > The funny thing about the boat is that if feels
                                > simply huge inside, and when you get out and
                                > compare it to ther other boats, it seems very
                                > much tiny, 'Micro'.
                                >
                                > I got to try it out for 'windward' ability, and not
                                > having anything to measure against, it is hard
                                > to explain. But we left downtown San Francisco,
                                > under the typical 'westerly' and were able to do
                                > a long tack to windward ending up at downtown
                                > Sausalito. Not disappointing windward progress
                                > at all.
                              • woofers94401
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 7, 2005
                                  Bruce,
                                  Looks like saturday was a nice day on the bay. Can you shed a little
                                  more light on some of the comments you got about your boat and you
                                  think the impression people had of it?

                                  Greg

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 8, 2005
                                    > Bruce,
                                    > Looks like saturday was a nice day on the bay.

                                    Best weekend of the year, so far! Calm in the morning
                                    and 10-15 kt westerlies in the afternoons 65 deg F.

                                    > Can you shed a little more light on some of the
                                    > comments you got about your boat and you
                                    > think the impression people had of it?
                                    > Greg

                                    Curiosity more than anything else. Basically
                                    everybody starts out with the question: "Did
                                    you build it?" Followed by a long series of
                                    other questions, that after a dozen people
                                    become repetitive.

                                    Some people want to know 'how old' it is.
                                    A certain subset of the group wants to know
                                    how the odd looking sail rig works. Lots of
                                    others are amazed at the glasshouse comfy
                                    cabin on a sailboat. Many others guess that it
                                    must have a centerboard, and are skeptical
                                    that it can function without one.

                                    Considering the fact that 99% of the boats I
                                    see tend to be very much similar to each
                                    other, I suspect mostly their owners are
                                    'conformists' and my boat is definately not
                                    that! So, I am guessing that many who do
                                    not approach me probably view me and my
                                    boat as a "bit odd".

                                    Generally, the people that did have the initiative
                                    to approach me seemed to have a favorable
                                    impression of the boat, and all these people
                                    were friendly! That is a welcome thing! (most the
                                    time), except at times when you are in a hurry
                                    trying to get work done to beat the tide, etc.,
                                    while a small crowd gathers wanting to talk.
                                  • Peter Lenihan
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 8, 2005
                                      > > Curiosity more than anything else.

                                      Don't worry Bruce,you'll get used to it...trust me :-)

                                      Sincerely,

                                      Peter Lenihan,ex-Micro owner/builder who finally sold his Micro
                                      because he couldn't take the questions anymore..........:-D
                                    • m_doles
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 9, 2005
                                        You've probably mentioned it before,but what is the head room on
                                        your navigator?

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 9, 2005
                                          > You've probably mentioned it before,but what is the head room on
                                          > your navigator?

                                          There is about 3 square feet of floor that has
                                          5 feet 8 1/2 inches of head room. I am six feet tall,
                                          and find that plenty adaquate for standing and pulling
                                          up my pants, etc..

                                          Also, the roof hatch slides wide open, and
                                          gives unlimited headroom, when open.

                                          The headroom above the berths is very generous
                                          and non-claustrophobic. I don't think I can touch
                                          the ceiling with my hand while seated, 3' 7" from
                                          top of cushion to ceiling.
                                          .