Re: Light Dory MK V?

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "kaiguri" <kaiguri@y...> wrote:

      > ---Aloha! I looked in the database and the plans for the Light Dory
      > Type V, #265, 4.74m x 1.22m are available for $50 from PB & F.
      > Mahalo, Randy

      Free plans and panel layouts, for a Dory that can be built Stitch and
      Glue at the link below. If a person used one roof rack bracket on the
      cab, it could be carried in a pick-up truck.

      http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com/blackberry_14.htm

      JB is member of this group.

      Cheers, Nels
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
        Will Samson wrote:

        > As far as I know the current Light Dory (plans available from Bolger OR Payson) > is the 'type VI' - so it post-dates the type V in Small Boats.

        Here is the text from the 1980 Small Boat Journal
        where Phil Bolger explains the lineage of his dory designs:

        ====================

        Phil Bolger Comments: From Small Boat Journal V.1#7 March 1980

        A 15'6" Light Dory

        My leeboard sharpie, Pointer, was launched in the summer of 1960. She
        had no place on deck for a dinghy, and I set out to design and build a
        good rowing tender. I wanted one that would live in rough water and
        row well enough so I could feel free to anchor far out from landings.
        Besides, I'd been one of those "pretty thin on the ground at the time"
        who had a mission to see that a generation didn't grow up in total
        ignorance of what could be accomplished with reasonable practical
        rowing boats. I pulled out a design I'd made back in 1952 called
        Golden River, a planked dory that had rounded sides and was a good
        deal slimmer and lower than the usual fisherman's dory. (Fig.1) These
        were nice boats to row, but the construction was so finicky and
        laborious that only a few were built. I revamped it for sheet plywood
        construction and in a moment of inspiration very much improved the
        looks of the sheer line. (Fig. 2) This drawing wasn't supposed to be
        seen by anybody but me, by the way; my brother said something about
        the shoemaker's children going barefoot when he saw one of the
        drawings I'd made for my own use.

        I built her that winter, very roughly, having no pretensions to being
        a competent carpenter. If you stand back fifty feet that boat looks
        real good, said a kind friend. In fact, it did (Fig. 3), and still
        does; Damian McLaughlin owns it now, along with the sharpie, and he's
        refinished it elaborately.

        I gave it a quick trial, hurriedly added a skeg to make it tow
        straight, and took off for a month's cruise around Cape Cod and the
        Islands. The cruise was meant to showoff the sharpie, but wherever I
        went,nobody looked at her. They were all looking past the stern, at
        the dory on the end of her sea painter. There were so many compliments
        that I thought I must have a commercial product, and when I got home I
        redesigned it again for production. I'd like to note that the dory
        shape was originally adapted to series production out of sheet
        material, namely wide planks, and these boats have the sharp flare so
        they can be stored and transported in compact nests. This third
        version had the stem rounded back where I'd had a miserable time
        trying to twist the plywood onto the fore foot. The fore-and-aft
        straddle thwart had made her seem even more tender than she was by
        nature because it prevented stepping dead center of the bottom; I
        changed that for three conventional thwarts. I put the gunwale
        stringer on the outside so water and mud would run cleanly out when
        she was on her side; the proportions of breadth and flare made it
        possible to step on the gunwale as she lay on a beach, bringing the
        far gunwale nearly up to an out stretched hand with which she could be
        pulled up on her beam ends. I corrected the angle of the rowlock
        sockets, though to this day I don't understand why it is that a
        rowlock that cants out with the flare makes a boat seem hard to row.

        With my heart in my mouth I ordered a batch of ten of these boats from
        Art Rand's boat shop, on speculation, and bought some small ads. (Fig.
        4) The ten sold out, and another ten, and another and another, and
        another. The demand was scattered, but it was there. There were more
        compliments, including one I'll treasure forever from Buckminster
        Fuller. Palawan was seen to sail through Buzzards Bay with a brace of
        them nested on deck. Ralph Wiley ordered one for the deck of a cruiser
        he was building.

        The modest success was nice, but I soon had enough of handling sales.
        I tossed the business in Art Rand's lap and went off for a year to
        work in Stanley Woodward's yacht yard in Mallorca. When I got back,
        Art had got himself into a financial bind and gone out of business.
        For vanity's sake, I wanted the design to stay in circulation, so I
        drew the plans again and made a present of that version to Capt. Jim
        Orrell, the Texas Dory man. He called it the Gloucester Gull and
        circulated it nobly; I'd guess he must have sent out thousands of
        plans. But we quarrelled over it: he got angry because I wouldn't draw
        up a sailing rig and a motor well for it, and I lost my temper because
        he went ahead and had somebody else do both over my objections. These
        I thought, should have been respected, especially as my reasons were
        that the modified version was somewhat dangerous as well as
        inefficient.

        When I was working up my book, "Small Boats, "I designed (for the
        book)what was supposed to be an improved version, with longer entrance
        lines, drew weight more concentrated to go better against a head sea,
        and the construction supposedly cleaned up a little. (Fig. 5) This
        version really is better, but not by much, and most people don't think
        it's as good looking as the 1961 design, which just keeps on selling.

        The absolute final version, as far as I'm concerned, is Type VI. (Fig.
        6) This one was drawn up to Harold Payson's order. He both builds them
        and sells the plans, which is the way it should be, ideally. I think
        it must have been one of his boats in which the hero of "Swashbuckler"
        pursued the heroine of that rather disappointing movie

        I've spent a good deal of time in the past 10 or 15 years trying to
        warn people that dories aren't the best solution for all nautical
        problems. They need lofting and jigging preparation that make them
        expensive to build one-off, and they're full of sharp bevels that make
        them tricky for novice carpenters. All of them, and this one
        especially, feel terribly tender, and they're hard to get into and out
        of in consequence. They have a wild, bouncy motion in a seaway, which
        keeps them dry but can do horrid things to your stomach. I've watched
        one that was being towed behind a close-hauled sailboat in a strong
        chop and a heavy rain, and her cork-screwing among the waves was
        throwing the rainwater up and out of her bilge 6' in the air. Over in
        England they've solved the stability problems of dories by bestowing
        the name dory on copies of the Boston Whaler. S'truth!

        Be that as it may, these light dories are not bad boats. I've several
        times rowed 15 nautical miles in five hours, and more athletic types
        have done much better than that in them. If a single oarsman has sense
        enough to stay solidly planted on his or her butt, low in the boat,
        these boats will go through a wicked-looking sea. And though it's not
        hard to design a boat that will perform and behave better for most
        purposes -- even in sheet plywood, let alone molded -- it's not at all
        easy to make it as graceful to the eye.

        This design seems likely to be the permanent monument to my erratic
        career as a designer, and if so it will be mostly because one day in
        November of 1961 I happened to bend a batten around a very pretty
        sheerline indeed.
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
          Also, the Letter to the Editor,
          and the SBJ 'retraction' sheds
          light on the controversy of who
          owns the rights to the name
          "Gloucester Gull".

          http://hallman.org/JimOrrell.gif
        • Philip Smith
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
            Why cheat Phil Bolger out of $50? Why not buy the
            plans from PB&F? Shouldn't genius have some reward?

            Phil Smith

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/_0TolB/TM

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
              > http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com/blackberry_14.htm

              I'll try to say this delicately, with no offense intended
              to jmbell. But from a subjective aesthetic measure,
              comparing the voluptuous sweeping curves of a Bolger
              Light Dory to the Blackberry 14 is perhaps like comparing
              Scarlett Johannson to Sheryl Crow?
            • Stefan Gutermuth
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                You're analogy is completely subjective. I personally appreciate Sheryl's
                beauty, and find her artistic talent to be far superior to that other
                person, (Scarlett Johannson).

                Stefan Gutermuth, V.P.
                John O'Hara Company
                Ph: 973-673-4676
                Fx: 973-673-7141
                Cl: 201-970-8007
                stefan@...

                I'll try to say this delicately, with no offense intended
                to jmbell. But from a subjective aesthetic measure,
                comparing the voluptuous sweeping curves of a Bolger
                Light Dory to the Blackberry 14 is perhaps like comparing Scarlett Johannson
                to Sheryl Crow?

                Bolger rules!!!
                (978) 282-1349
                Yahoo! Groups Links
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                  > You're analogy is completely subjective.

                  Clearly subjective, as I wrote.
                  I appreciate both those boats
                  and both those people,
                  each for different reasons!
                  I'm sorry if I implied otherwise.
                • John Bell
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                    My Blackberry is supposed to be different from Bolger's dory. Both of the
                    Blackberries were designed to be a little chunkier, with a little more
                    initial stability to make the boat better for more relaxed pursuits like
                    fishing.

                    I'm not offended at all with the comparison. If you build my boat, great! If
                    you build some one else's boat, great! No skin off my nose.

                    > I'll try to say this delicately, with no offense intended
                    > to jmbell. But from a subjective aesthetic measure,
                    > comparing the voluptuous sweeping curves of a Bolger
                    > Light Dory to the Blackberry 14 is perhaps like comparing
                    > Scarlett Johannson to Sheryl Crow?

                  • Peter Lenihan
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                      > > http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com/blackberry_14.htm
                      >
                      >comparing
                      > Scarlett Johannson to Sheryl Crow?

                      come on Bruce...quit being such a tease and tell us which one you
                      have a crush on anyways? :-)

                      Peter Lenihan
                    • Nels
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Philip Smith <pbs@w...> wrote:
                        > Why cheat Phil Bolger out of $50? Why not buy the
                        > plans from PB&F? Shouldn't genius have some reward?
                        >
                        > Phil Smith

                        My apologies, I did not realize my post would have such a deleterious
                        effect on the group. I must have been delirious at the time:-)

                        I thought I was only providing information to one who was interested
                        in the stitch and glue option. Thank God I never mentioned Down East
                        Dories!

                        But it gave me a chance to use two words I don't normally get to use.

                        Now I have to research the connection between all this and those two
                        women Bruce is involved with:-)

                        Cheers,

                        Nels (Who's research seems to be unending.)
                      • Nels
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...>
                          wrote:
                          > come on Bruce...quit being such a tease and tell us which one you
                          > have a crush on anyways? :-)
                          >
                          > Peter Lenihan

                          Finished with my research. Because of the way Lestat has been
                          constructed with no added floatation, for my deck crew I would have
                          to choose the one who seems to have the most. That would be Scarlett
                          in my estimation.

                          Now I wonder if I still need a winch as well?

                          Cheers,

                          Nels,