Ebay alert, SBJ

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6949133508

      At auction on EBay, someones collection of
      Small Boat Journal magazines.
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "kaiguri" <kaiguri@y...> wrote:

        > ---Aloha! I looked in the database and the plans for the Light Dory
        > Type V, #265, 4.74m x 1.22m are available for $50 from PB & F.
        > Mahalo, Randy

        Free plans and panel layouts, for a Dory that can be built Stitch and
        Glue at the link below. If a person used one roof rack bracket on the
        cab, it could be carried in a pick-up truck.

        http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com/blackberry_14.htm

        JB is member of this group.

        Cheers, Nels
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
          Will Samson wrote:

          > As far as I know the current Light Dory (plans available from Bolger OR Payson) > is the 'type VI' - so it post-dates the type V in Small Boats.

          Here is the text from the 1980 Small Boat Journal
          where Phil Bolger explains the lineage of his dory designs:

          ====================

          Phil Bolger Comments: From Small Boat Journal V.1#7 March 1980

          A 15'6" Light Dory

          My leeboard sharpie, Pointer, was launched in the summer of 1960. She
          had no place on deck for a dinghy, and I set out to design and build a
          good rowing tender. I wanted one that would live in rough water and
          row well enough so I could feel free to anchor far out from landings.
          Besides, I'd been one of those "pretty thin on the ground at the time"
          who had a mission to see that a generation didn't grow up in total
          ignorance of what could be accomplished with reasonable practical
          rowing boats. I pulled out a design I'd made back in 1952 called
          Golden River, a planked dory that had rounded sides and was a good
          deal slimmer and lower than the usual fisherman's dory. (Fig.1) These
          were nice boats to row, but the construction was so finicky and
          laborious that only a few were built. I revamped it for sheet plywood
          construction and in a moment of inspiration very much improved the
          looks of the sheer line. (Fig. 2) This drawing wasn't supposed to be
          seen by anybody but me, by the way; my brother said something about
          the shoemaker's children going barefoot when he saw one of the
          drawings I'd made for my own use.

          I built her that winter, very roughly, having no pretensions to being
          a competent carpenter. If you stand back fifty feet that boat looks
          real good, said a kind friend. In fact, it did (Fig. 3), and still
          does; Damian McLaughlin owns it now, along with the sharpie, and he's
          refinished it elaborately.

          I gave it a quick trial, hurriedly added a skeg to make it tow
          straight, and took off for a month's cruise around Cape Cod and the
          Islands. The cruise was meant to showoff the sharpie, but wherever I
          went,nobody looked at her. They were all looking past the stern, at
          the dory on the end of her sea painter. There were so many compliments
          that I thought I must have a commercial product, and when I got home I
          redesigned it again for production. I'd like to note that the dory
          shape was originally adapted to series production out of sheet
          material, namely wide planks, and these boats have the sharp flare so
          they can be stored and transported in compact nests. This third
          version had the stem rounded back where I'd had a miserable time
          trying to twist the plywood onto the fore foot. The fore-and-aft
          straddle thwart had made her seem even more tender than she was by
          nature because it prevented stepping dead center of the bottom; I
          changed that for three conventional thwarts. I put the gunwale
          stringer on the outside so water and mud would run cleanly out when
          she was on her side; the proportions of breadth and flare made it
          possible to step on the gunwale as she lay on a beach, bringing the
          far gunwale nearly up to an out stretched hand with which she could be
          pulled up on her beam ends. I corrected the angle of the rowlock
          sockets, though to this day I don't understand why it is that a
          rowlock that cants out with the flare makes a boat seem hard to row.

          With my heart in my mouth I ordered a batch of ten of these boats from
          Art Rand's boat shop, on speculation, and bought some small ads. (Fig.
          4) The ten sold out, and another ten, and another and another, and
          another. The demand was scattered, but it was there. There were more
          compliments, including one I'll treasure forever from Buckminster
          Fuller. Palawan was seen to sail through Buzzards Bay with a brace of
          them nested on deck. Ralph Wiley ordered one for the deck of a cruiser
          he was building.

          The modest success was nice, but I soon had enough of handling sales.
          I tossed the business in Art Rand's lap and went off for a year to
          work in Stanley Woodward's yacht yard in Mallorca. When I got back,
          Art had got himself into a financial bind and gone out of business.
          For vanity's sake, I wanted the design to stay in circulation, so I
          drew the plans again and made a present of that version to Capt. Jim
          Orrell, the Texas Dory man. He called it the Gloucester Gull and
          circulated it nobly; I'd guess he must have sent out thousands of
          plans. But we quarrelled over it: he got angry because I wouldn't draw
          up a sailing rig and a motor well for it, and I lost my temper because
          he went ahead and had somebody else do both over my objections. These
          I thought, should have been respected, especially as my reasons were
          that the modified version was somewhat dangerous as well as
          inefficient.

          When I was working up my book, "Small Boats, "I designed (for the
          book)what was supposed to be an improved version, with longer entrance
          lines, drew weight more concentrated to go better against a head sea,
          and the construction supposedly cleaned up a little. (Fig. 5) This
          version really is better, but not by much, and most people don't think
          it's as good looking as the 1961 design, which just keeps on selling.

          The absolute final version, as far as I'm concerned, is Type VI. (Fig.
          6) This one was drawn up to Harold Payson's order. He both builds them
          and sells the plans, which is the way it should be, ideally. I think
          it must have been one of his boats in which the hero of "Swashbuckler"
          pursued the heroine of that rather disappointing movie

          I've spent a good deal of time in the past 10 or 15 years trying to
          warn people that dories aren't the best solution for all nautical
          problems. They need lofting and jigging preparation that make them
          expensive to build one-off, and they're full of sharp bevels that make
          them tricky for novice carpenters. All of them, and this one
          especially, feel terribly tender, and they're hard to get into and out
          of in consequence. They have a wild, bouncy motion in a seaway, which
          keeps them dry but can do horrid things to your stomach. I've watched
          one that was being towed behind a close-hauled sailboat in a strong
          chop and a heavy rain, and her cork-screwing among the waves was
          throwing the rainwater up and out of her bilge 6' in the air. Over in
          England they've solved the stability problems of dories by bestowing
          the name dory on copies of the Boston Whaler. S'truth!

          Be that as it may, these light dories are not bad boats. I've several
          times rowed 15 nautical miles in five hours, and more athletic types
          have done much better than that in them. If a single oarsman has sense
          enough to stay solidly planted on his or her butt, low in the boat,
          these boats will go through a wicked-looking sea. And though it's not
          hard to design a boat that will perform and behave better for most
          purposes -- even in sheet plywood, let alone molded -- it's not at all
          easy to make it as graceful to the eye.

          This design seems likely to be the permanent monument to my erratic
          career as a designer, and if so it will be mostly because one day in
          November of 1961 I happened to bend a batten around a very pretty
          sheerline indeed.
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
            Also, the Letter to the Editor,
            and the SBJ 'retraction' sheds
            light on the controversy of who
            owns the rights to the name
            "Gloucester Gull".

            http://hallman.org/JimOrrell.gif
          • Philip Smith
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
              Why cheat Phil Bolger out of $50? Why not buy the
              plans from PB&F? Shouldn't genius have some reward?

              Phil Smith

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/_0TolB/TM

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                > http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com/blackberry_14.htm

                I'll try to say this delicately, with no offense intended
                to jmbell. But from a subjective aesthetic measure,
                comparing the voluptuous sweeping curves of a Bolger
                Light Dory to the Blackberry 14 is perhaps like comparing
                Scarlett Johannson to Sheryl Crow?
              • Stefan Gutermuth
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                  You're analogy is completely subjective. I personally appreciate Sheryl's
                  beauty, and find her artistic talent to be far superior to that other
                  person, (Scarlett Johannson).

                  Stefan Gutermuth, V.P.
                  John O'Hara Company
                  Ph: 973-673-4676
                  Fx: 973-673-7141
                  Cl: 201-970-8007
                  stefan@...

                  I'll try to say this delicately, with no offense intended
                  to jmbell. But from a subjective aesthetic measure,
                  comparing the voluptuous sweeping curves of a Bolger
                  Light Dory to the Blackberry 14 is perhaps like comparing Scarlett Johannson
                  to Sheryl Crow?

                  Bolger rules!!!
                  (978) 282-1349
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                    > You're analogy is completely subjective.

                    Clearly subjective, as I wrote.
                    I appreciate both those boats
                    and both those people,
                    each for different reasons!
                    I'm sorry if I implied otherwise.
                  • John Bell
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                      My Blackberry is supposed to be different from Bolger's dory. Both of the
                      Blackberries were designed to be a little chunkier, with a little more
                      initial stability to make the boat better for more relaxed pursuits like
                      fishing.

                      I'm not offended at all with the comparison. If you build my boat, great! If
                      you build some one else's boat, great! No skin off my nose.

                      > I'll try to say this delicately, with no offense intended
                      > to jmbell. But from a subjective aesthetic measure,
                      > comparing the voluptuous sweeping curves of a Bolger
                      > Light Dory to the Blackberry 14 is perhaps like comparing
                      > Scarlett Johannson to Sheryl Crow?

                    • Peter Lenihan
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                        > > http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com/blackberry_14.htm
                        >
                        >comparing
                        > Scarlett Johannson to Sheryl Crow?

                        come on Bruce...quit being such a tease and tell us which one you
                        have a crush on anyways? :-)

                        Peter Lenihan
                      • Nels
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Philip Smith <pbs@w...> wrote:
                          > Why cheat Phil Bolger out of $50? Why not buy the
                          > plans from PB&F? Shouldn't genius have some reward?
                          >
                          > Phil Smith

                          My apologies, I did not realize my post would have such a deleterious
                          effect on the group. I must have been delirious at the time:-)

                          I thought I was only providing information to one who was interested
                          in the stitch and glue option. Thank God I never mentioned Down East
                          Dories!

                          But it gave me a chance to use two words I don't normally get to use.

                          Now I have to research the connection between all this and those two
                          women Bruce is involved with:-)

                          Cheers,

                          Nels (Who's research seems to be unending.)
                        • Nels
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...>
                            wrote:
                            > come on Bruce...quit being such a tease and tell us which one you
                            > have a crush on anyways? :-)
                            >
                            > Peter Lenihan

                            Finished with my research. Because of the way Lestat has been
                            constructed with no added floatation, for my deck crew I would have
                            to choose the one who seems to have the most. That would be Scarlett
                            in my estimation.

                            Now I wonder if I still need a winch as well?

                            Cheers,

                            Nels,