[bolger] Re: "Step" Sneakeasy

  • GHC
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 1999
      I ordered the "square" plans from Payson, and completed the "step" versions
      using the book. I believe the book says there are (were?) no expansions
      available for the step type.

      There seems to be plenty of room in my boat, 3 a breast gets cozy, but not
      oo bad. Hard to know what you mean by "hurt", but you are suggesting
      increasing the boat size by 25%, plus wetted area. Or, if you mean to
      flare the sides, then you have changed the boat in more ways than one...

      Gregg C.

    • bgbeck55@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 1999
        Thanks Gregg,
        All I intended was to keep the plumb sides, but increase beam to 5'0".
        I wasn't sure how long ago the piece in BWOM had been written and if PCB
        had drawn up plans in the mean time. What's the max. on passengers? 2?4?
        Bruce

        ghc <ghart-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=421
        > I ordered the "square" plans from Payson, and completed the "step" versions
        > using the book. I believe the book says there are (were?) no expansions
        > available for the step type.
        >
        > There seems to be plenty of room in my boat, 3 a breast gets cozy, but not
        > oo bad. Hard to know what you mean by "hurt", but you are suggesting
        > increasing the boat size by 25%, plus wetted area. Or, if you mean to
        > flare the sides, then you have changed the boat in more ways than one...
        >
        > Gregg C.
        >
        > At 04:17 PM 10/3/1999 -0700, you wrote:
        > > Is the "step" version of Sneakeasy a separate set of plans? I
        > >received the study plan from HHP, but makes no mention of the "step"
        > >variation. If you want to build one, do you just use the information in
        > >BWOM or contact PCB? Also would it hurt the design if the upper portion
        > >were widened to 5'0" in order to gain a little more elbow room for the
        > >occupants?

      • G Carlson
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 1999
          No, we've had 6 more than once, and 4 is easy...

          > Thanks Gregg,
          > All I intended was to keep the plumb sides, but increase beam to 5'0".
          > I wasn't sure how long ago the piece in BWOM had been written and if PCB
          > had drawn up plans in the mean time. What's the max. on passengers? 2?4?
          >Bruce
          >

          > ghc <ghart-@...> wrote:
          >original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=421
          >> I ordered the "square" plans from Payson, and completed the "step"
          >>versions
          >> using the book. I believe the book says there are (were?) no expansions
          >> available for the step type.
          >>
          >> There seems to be plenty of room in my boat, 3 a breast gets cozy, but not
          >> oo bad. Hard to know what you mean by "hurt", but you are suggesting
          >> increasing the boat size by 25%, plus wetted area. Or, if you mean to
          >> flare the sides, then you have changed the boat in more ways than one...
          >>
          >> Gregg C.
          >>
          >> At 04:17 PM 10/3/1999 -0700, you wrote:
          >> > Is the "step" version of Sneakeasy a separate set of plans? I
          >> >received the study plan from HHP, but makes no mention of the "step"
          >> >variation. If you want to build one, do you just use the information in
          >> >BWOM or contact PCB? Also would it hurt the design if the upper portion
          >> >were widened to 5'0" in order to gain a little more elbow room for the
          >> >occupants?

          >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger
        • donschultz8275
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2004
            There are also pics of a Sneakeasy in Alaska w' a PCB sketched
            forward cockpit. That is a flatbottom version. Combining the pit w'
            the step version may not be wise given they step reduces flotation
            fwd.

            IMO, a widening to 5 ft would be a different boat with far different
            characteristics that the original.

            Don Schultz