[bolger] Re: Bamboo spars

  • David Beede
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 1999
      I used bamboo spars on a 113 sq. ft balanced lug rig. They were
      about 2" at the thickest points, tapering to about 1 1/4". Longest one
      is about 12 ft. (The mast is fiberglass) They have worked fine, but I
      harvested them myself, so don't' know where to purchase them. Finding
      perfectly straight "wild" bamboo is a challenge. It's possible to
      compensate some what for curves with the sail ties.
      Good luck. If you find some for sale, let us know.
      djb

      William D> Jochems wrote:

      > Dear Bolgeristas, Do any of you have experience with bamboo
      > spars-booms, gaffs or yards? I assume bamboo could be lighter and as
      > strong as comparably sized solid or hollow douglas fir spars and I
      > would like to experiment with it-in lengths up to 15 feet and
      > diameters to 3 1/2 inches. What varieties are best? Who sells
      > it?Thanks, Bill Jochems
      > [Onvia.com. Work. Wisely.]

      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger

      Simplicity Boats (mirror sites - if one doesn't work...)
      http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/
      http://members.xoom.com/simpleboats/
      Here's my latest boat:
      http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/featherwind.html
      Quasi esoteric musical instruments
      unicornstrings.com
    • CPCorreia@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 1999
        Bill,

        You've probably already been directed to the cheap pages, which has info and
        some suppliers for bamboo.

        Cheers,
        Chuck.