Re-intro and Dovekie spinoff (long)

  • Gary Lepak
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2005
      Hi Guys,

      I've been in this group before but it was a few years ago and have recently
      rejoined, so thought I would re-introduce myself. I live in the Pacific
      Northwest in Port Angeles, on the Strait of Juan de Fuca. I've been a
      Bolger fan since the seventies and have all the books except 30-odd, which
      my brother has. Countless hours of entertainment and education and
      inspiration. I've built a few of the boats, the first was an Airex version
      of the Dolphin from Small Boats, the 18' "whaleboat" design, which we used
      only for rowing, no rig. Then a Teal, a Skimmer, a Tortoise, and a Nymph.
      I've built a few other boats of other designs, some my own, starting in 1970
      with an 18' trimaran, and also a 46' Wharram cat, and 34' "Lepak" cat, that
      we lived aboard and cruisedin the '70's abd 80's, and numerous small boats,
      mostly ply, one cedar strip. Right now I own only 3 boats, Snake, a 17'x22"
      doublepaddle board built of blue foam, 3mm ply and glass, Silvergirl, a 16'
      double ended ply rowboat, and Stoaproa, a breakdown 16' ply outrigger canoe
      with a Hobie Mirage pedal drive which is the most recent, a little over a
      year ago.

      I've had the urge to again have a boat large enough to sleep on, but really
      simple, cheap, and easy to build. I like to row and "pedal" as well as
      sail, when there is no wind, which is a frequent condition here. I have
      distaste for outboards too, though I've owned many. I've always been
      fascinated by PCB's large rowboats with sails, his "Ocean crossing rowboat"
      and the "cruising canoe". I was recently poring over BWAOM looking for a
      dream boat and got drawn into the "Cruising Rowboat". I like the size and
      hull shape, though it isn't suited for sailing at all, but it got my mind
      going in the direction of small and simple, as I had been planning for a
      year to build a 24' cruising proa. The proa would not have been very good
      for efficient muscle powering and as much as I like multihulls, I decided it
      should be a mono this time. Looking through my other books for a suitable
      hull, I finally came to the obvious answer, Dovekie, as it was designed as a
      sailboat with rowing as auxilliary power. I wasn't about to embark on a
      foam sandwich project, as I don't even have a heated or even an enclosed
      shop right now. I wanted something that would be finished for spring or at
      least summer, 2005. I put together a little model of roughly the dimensions
      I had in mind, including the minimum 35" headroom sleeping cabin. I
      envision it more as a rowboat that can be sailed, but hope that it will sail
      as well as Dovekie. I want an enclosed cabin, with rowing in the cockpit
      with good visibility. I'm making it with plumb sides and ends, 5' beam,
      with 6'8" length in both the cabin and cockpit for sleeping. I will
      probably try using a pedal unit, either the Mirage type, or a propeller
      type, as well as oars. Rather than leeboards, I am thinking of a
      daggerboard. I'll have water ballast too as I will be singlehanding a lot.
      The unstayed mast will be stepped along the aftside of the cabin and support
      a dipping lug, or perhaps a balance lug, sail. The bottom in the cabin will
      be balsa core sandwich for stiffness without frames, for sleeping on. I
      started building in December, and have been rather obsessed with it. I
      threw up a carport style roof of scrap lumber and tarps alongside the garage
      as a temporary shelter, and have been curing resin (System Three) in our 30*
      to 45* temps with heaters under the hull and plastic and sleeping bags over.
      I have enough room in the garage for resining small parts, up to the size of
      a sheet of ply, which I precoated. I'm using cedar strip construction to
      make 6" radius chines, though I considered the simple hard chine.

      I just posted some pictures in Bolger4 files section under the heading
      "Bufflehead" which is what I am calling it, after the black and white ducks
      that are along the waterfront where I walk. These pics are up to date. I
      have my roll of fiberglass being delivered today and should have the bottom
      glassed and ready to turn over by the end of the month.

      Gary Lepak
      Itching to get glassing
    • John Bell
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2005
        I was just in Port Angeles last week! I wish you had posted this before now,
        I would have loved to see what you were up to.

        JB, back in GA for the time being.

> [...]
        30*
        > to 45* temps with heaters under the hull and plastic and sleeping bags
        over.
        > I have enough room in the garage for resining small parts, up to the size
        of
        > a sheet of ply, which I precoated. I'm using cedar strip construction to
        > make 6" radius chines, though I considered the simple hard chine.
        >
        > I just posted some pictures in Bolger4 files section under the heading
        > "Bufflehead" which is what I am calling it, after the black and white
        ducks
        > that are along the waterfront where I walk. These pics are up to date. I
        > have my roll of fiberglass being delivered today and should have the
        bottom
        > glassed and ready to turn over by the end of the month.

        (978) 282-1349