Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

[bolger] Re: Windspint construction update

Expand Messages
  • monica@chairlady.com
    ... of wax ... always ... Happens very easily. Payson lives in Maine, where they have a peculair weather condition you Florida people don t know about. It gets
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 1999
    • 0 Attachment
      >
      > ...On top of this the wax paper I stuck under the butted pieces
      > stuck to the work. Anybody know how to get off little stuck pieces
      of wax
      > paper? I guess I could sand it. How did this happen anyway? Payson
      always
      > uses Wax paper.
      >

      Happens very easily. Payson lives in Maine, where they have a peculair
      weather condition you Florida people don't know about. It gets COLD
      there. It's been mentioned no one south of the Mason Dixon line should
      use the wax paper trick for epoxy. The kick-off temp of the epoxy in
      warmer climes is enough to melt the wax in the paper and give the epoxy
      a wonderful bond to the underlying paper. I had the same problem once
      in my New York apartment one hot summer day.

      If the temp is right, wax paper is just so convienent to use. Comes on
      rolls, convienent width, and comes with a cutter in the package. And
      cheap too! But any tough plastic sheet should work, just pick a thicker
      material so it can stand up to a squeegy running over it.
    • Michael Jennings
      Robert, I used 4 fiberglass tape with epoxy, covered by wax paper, spare plywood and then old barbell weights to butt joint the sides. I did one side of each
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 1999
      • 0 Attachment
        Robert, I used 4" fiberglass tape with epoxy, covered by wax paper,
        spare plywood and then old barbell weights to butt joint the sides. I
        did one side of each side piece at a time and supported them on a make
        ship table of a 1/2 sheet of ply supported on saw horses. The wax paper
        worked fine for me although I did spend what seemed like an eternity
        fairing all the joints inside and out. For the bottom I used 1/2" ply
        on the inside of the butt joint bonded with thickened epoxy. I held
        this together during curing with clamps and temporarily intalled drywall
        screws. This was much easier than the sides and at least eliminated the
        fairing on the inside. I would definately go this route in the future.

        Robert N. Lundy wrote:
        >
        > Well, I finally got started Saturday on some of the bigger parts.
        >
        > Sawed out the sides (3 pieces per side). Spent a lot of time remebering
        > inside and outside and making sure I got the right cuts made in the right
        > direction for the two aftersides and forward sides.
        >
        > Then came the buttstapping. I had decided to do this just a Payson
        > descibes, using Weldwood Glue and copper tacks. This was almost a disaster,
        > as about twenty of the copper tacks bent the minute I touched them with the
        > hammer! Boy are these things soft. But things got even worse when I turned
        > over the sides and pried off the plywood backer board I was using. Out of
        > an aver 10 tacks used per stap went all the way through and needed to be
        > bent. I believe the others must have curled under after going through the
        > buttstrap. On top of this the wax paper I stuck under the butted pieces
        > stuck to the work. Anybody know how to get off little stuck pieces of wax
        > paper? I guess I could sand it. How did this happen anyway? Payson always
        > uses Wax paper.
        >
        > I ended up with two straps where the ends didn't get stuck down well. I
        > flowed some PL Polyurethane into the crack and clamped the whole thing good.
        > Seems to be doing OK. I dropped the sides a couple of time and put some
        > bending pressure on them; nothing came apart. I'll put a layer of glass
        > tape on the outside to make sure everything stays together.
        >
        > Here's what I think I learned:
        >
        > 1. I only supported the sides directly under the buttstrap. This caused
        > enough upward pressure on the strap that the copper nails wanted to bend
        > with any bounce when my hammer hit. Next time the sides will be suported
        > about every foot.
        >
        > 2. The copper nails/Weldwood is probably pretty sturdy, but I thought of
        > something I know would work. Polyurethane Glue (which you don't have to
        > mix) and sheetrock screws drilled in to the backing would have made short
        > work of this. You could back out the sheetrock screws when you're done,
        > fill the holes and have not fasteners to worry about. As an added bonus,
        > your not beating on any thing with a hammer that you're try to keep in
        > alignment. I'm much more comfortable with a cordless drill and sheetrock
        > screws than I am with a hammer.
        >
        > 3. No more wax paper. I'll use polyethylene scaps next time.
        >
        > More updates as I really start screwing up.
        >
        > Robert & Amy Lundy
        > St. Petersburg, Fla
        >
        > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
        >
        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger
        > http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.