RE: [bolger] Re: FastBrick and Tortoise Update (Virtues of Forefeets)

  • Stefan Gutermuth
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hey , -- Just a few comments from the builder of the only Water Van in the
      Northern Hemisphere.

      The boat is a joy to operate above 10 Knots. Below 10 knots, because of the
      nose heavy design, it tends to wander, and a 2.5 to 3' wave, square on, will
      ship some water over the bow. Above 10, through 16 knots the wandering goes
      away, the bow comes up nicely, and she runs very dry, even in 3' to 4' chop
      and swells. At 18 knots she starts to plane and by 20 knots the Water Van
      levels out and feels like she's riding on a cushion In fairly calm water,
      with the Suzuki DF 115, she will easily cruise at 25 knots.

      The forefoot / box keel is almost 3' wide for most of its length, and runs
      6" below the main hull. There are 2 mini keels at the outboard edges of the
      main hull, about 2" wide and 3" down. It appears that turbulated water and
      air is trapped between the box keel and the mini outboard keels; effectively
      creating a slippery foam cushion at the 10 to 18 knot range.

      Stefan Gutermuth, V.P.
      John O'Hara Company
      Ph: 973-673-4676
      Fx: 973-673-7141
      Cl: 201-970-8007
      stefan@...

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
        Hi Stefan,

        Thanks much for the first hand information. Sounds like a great boat.

        Steve H

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Gutermuth" <stefan-g@m...>