Re: [bolger] Re: FastBrick and Tortoise Update (Virtues of Forefeets)

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2 11:02 AM
      > I believe both Col. Hasler and FIJI are examples
      > Cheers, Nels

      Hasler [& Yonder & Motor Sailer & Working Tug, etc.]
      have box keels and are displacement hulls.

      Fiji (& Topaz) have cutwaters at the bow only and
      are planing hulls.

      Fastbrick, Watervan, Microtrawler, Bee, Hawkeye, etc.
      have cutwaters and full length 'shoes' and are planing hulls.
      They look superficially the same, but are really
      different. Clam Skiff might even be included in this
      catagory.

      Champlain, Sitka Explorer, Windermere, Motor
      Sailing Cargo Boat, fall in between, but are displacement
      boats.
    • pseudospark
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2 3:56 PM
        Hi Bruce,

        Thanks for posting the text. This is perfect. What issue was this
        in? (I'm sure I have it, my collection goes back to 1990 - the only
        problem is that I have them archived 3 deep in a floor level
        cabinet.)

        In looking at Fastbrick, it has the forefoot but not the box keel
        per Watervan, Clam Skiff and the tugs.

        The design I've been playing with is a loose adaptation of Jim
        Betts' Gypsy's Poke (which he never took beyond the cartoon stage).
        A forefoot and perhaps a shallow box keel might go well with this
        creature.

        Steve H.

        > The Bolger writeup for Watervan gives your explanation:
        > OCR'ed from the excellent magazine _Messing About
        > In Boats_, [everybody should subscribe!] and pasted
        > below:

      • Nels
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2 6:01 PM
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pseudospark" <shansen@t...> wrote:

          > Hi Bruce,
          >
          > Thanks for posting the text. This is perfect. What issue was this
          > in? (I'm sure I have it, my collection goes back to 1990 - the only
          > problem is that I have them archived 3 deep in a floor level
          > cabinet.)

          The article can be seen here:

          Another difference with some of the designs Bruce mentions is that
          the "Garvey" shape has some deadrise near the bow in some of them.
          And the run of the aft sections will be the deciding factor for the
          design's ability to plane easily or sail without dragging the stern.

          I believe that Bolger likes the idea that these hull-shapes are very
          practical for plywood construction, as there are no compound curves
          and yet they perform very well.

          Fastbrick will plane:-)

          Cheers, Nels
        • Stefan Gutermuth
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2 7:32 PM
            Hey , -- Just a few comments from the builder of the only Water Van in the
            Northern Hemisphere.

            The boat is a joy to operate above 10 Knots. Below 10 knots, because of the
            nose heavy design, it tends to wander, and a 2.5 to 3' wave, square on, will
            ship some water over the bow. Above 10, through 16 knots the wandering goes
            away, the bow comes up nicely, and she runs very dry, even in 3' to 4' chop
            and swells. At 18 knots she starts to plane and by 20 knots the Water Van
            levels out and feels like she's riding on a cushion In fairly calm water,
            with the Suzuki DF 115, she will easily cruise at 25 knots.

            The forefoot / box keel is almost 3' wide for most of its length, and runs
            6" below the main hull. There are 2 mini keels at the outboard edges of the
            main hull, about 2" wide and 3" down. It appears that turbulated water and
            air is trapped between the box keel and the mini outboard keels; effectively
            creating a slippery foam cushion at the 10 to 18 knot range.

            Stefan Gutermuth, V.P.
            John O'Hara Company
            Ph: 973-673-4676
            Fx: 973-673-7141
            Cl: 201-970-8007
            stefan@...

            Thanks for posting the text. This is perfect. What issue was this
            in? (I'm sure I have it, my collection goes back to 1990 - the only
            problem is that I have them archived 3 deep in a floor level
            cabinet.)

            In looking at Fastbrick, it has the forefoot but not the box keel
            per Watervan, Clam Skiff and the tugs.

            The design I've been playing with is a loose adaptation of Jim
            Betts' Gypsy's Poke (which he never took beyond the cartoon stage).
            A forefoot and perhaps a shallow box keel might go well with this
            creature.

            Steve H.

            > The Bolger writeup for Watervan gives your explanation: OCR'ed from
            > the excellent magazine _Messing About In Boats_, [everybody should
            > subscribe!] and pasted
            > below:

            Bolger rules!!!
            (978) 282-1349
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • pseudospark
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 3 2:49 PM
              Hi Stefan,

              Thanks much for the first hand information. Sounds like a great boat.

              Steve H

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Gutermuth" <stefan-g@m...>