bee

  • littlepeaces2002
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hello all,

      some questions about the Bee

      - what is the weight of the Bee?
      - weight of the stretched version?

      And what is the carryingcapacity of both models?

      Kind regards

      Sipke
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
        Hi Sipke,

        According to Bolger, the prototype Bee as built by David Montgomery
        weighed 75 pounds. It is 7'3" X 3'11" carries two and calls for a 6hp
        motor. It requires no splicing of panels.

        Can't recall what size it was stretched to by a homebuilder. Seems to
        me it was about 10 feet long and could take three. It was heavier as
        the plywood used was thicker. Maybe 125 pounds?

        Bolger could perhaps advise on the larger one. I think it also
        required extra bracing as well, to prevent oil-canning of the bottom.

        Cheers, Nels

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "littlepeaces2002" <littlepeaces@c...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
          > some questions about the Bee
          > And what is the carrying capacity?
          > Sipke

          I plugged the lines of the Bolger Bee into
          the Hulls program and see that the
          stationary displacement is marginal.

          http://hallman.org/bolger/BeeWaterline.gif

          When she is up on plane, that's a different story.

          Assuming the weight of boat, motor, gas can and
          driver to be 350 lbs you only have a few inches of
          freeboard.

          I also recall reading that Bolger has suggested
          increasing the freeboard some, for reserve.

          In short, I think Bee would be a crazy fun runabout,
          but a lousy dingy or tender.
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
            > > some questions about the Bee
            > > And what is the carrying capacity?
            > > Sipke
            >
            > I plugged the lines of the Bolger Bee into
            > the Hulls program and see that the
            > stationary displacement is marginal.
            >
            > http://hallman.org/bolger/BeeWaterline.gif

            There are some little old burry photos here, one showing Phil in
            prototype:-)

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
              Also, here is a scan of the old [defunct] Common Sense Design
              catalogue selling Bolger Bee plans.
              Can anybody recall if Bolger has ever published an article about
              Bee in a magazine or book?

              http://hallman.org/bolger/381/CSDbee.gif

              This is also pertinent to the thread asking about the
              cutwater of Fastbrick.
            • donschultz8275
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
                > There are some little old burry photos here, one showing Phil in
                > prototype:-)

                And a Super Bee. Did Bolger do the Super Bee, or was the scale up
                done by the builder?

                Anybody know?

                Some day someone will get Bolger's stuff organized and properly
                marketed. My guess is I could make a nice living marketing their
                (PB&F) stuff, and still pay whatever they are making now from his
                genius and hardwork.
              • Bruce Hector
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2005
                  There's a Bee album in this groups photo section with some good
                  shots, looks pretty servicable.

                  Bruce Hector