Re: Micro Sunny Sailing and Free Flooding Wisdom

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mannthree" <johnmann@i...> wrote:
      > Also when I tie up at the mooring, I notice that she's a bit stem
      > bown, stern up due to the weight of the mooring chain and rope.
      This
      > may cause the forward free flooding area to be flooded more than
      usual,

      > Cheers,
      >
      > John

      John,

      I see the problem now,says the blind man :-D
      Perhaps you just need to put a mooring float at the upper end of
      your mooring chain thus relieving the stem of having to float that
      weight of the chain thus it has only to support the weight of the
      line or rope used to secure yourself to the float.
      Of course,it may not be so straight forward as there may well be
      other reasons why your mooring is set up as it is.
      A good sized cooler,loaded with glass bottles filled with juice
      sure adds some good weight and multiple coolers add up to moveable
      ballast to always keep your Micro in "perfect" sailing trim :-)
      Glad to here that you are/have discovered the simple,easy method of
      taking your leisure on the water.
      It was -3 C. here yesterday,almost t-shirt weather,by golly!Can
      summer be that close? And if it is that close,that can only mean you
      had better get in the maximum number of days on board 'cause winter
      is slowly headed your way......my sympathies.....:-D

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan,one bottle short for a case,from along the its'-almost-
      too-good-to-be-true-thawing shores of the St.Lawrence...........
    • Will Samson
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
        Not sure I've fully grasped this, but if It's what I think then I had a similar situation with my Chebacco, which was also a tad nose-down at the mooring. As Peter suggests, I had my mooring chain terminate at a big inflatable float, and a couple of stout mooring strops (Nylon) from the top of the chain to the stem of the boat. Why two strops? Well, if one happened to chafe through in a storm, the other would still be there to keep things together until I had a chance to get out and do some replacement.

        Having done all that, the Chebacco was still an inch or two down by the bows, but trimmed nicely when I heaved my vast bulk into the cockpit.

        I wonder if there's some way of tying on an inflatable fender under the forefoot, at the mooring, to float it a little higher? I'm sure I've heard of people doing that with Micros and Jessies; I think Chuck Merrell called it a 'training bra'. It has the welcome side effect of reducing pounding at anchor.

        Bill
        > Also when I tie up at the mooring, I notice that she's a bit stem
        > bown, stern up due to the weight of the mooring chain and rope.
        This
        > may cause the forward free flooding area to be flooded more than
        usual,

        > Cheers,
        >
        > John

        John,

        I see the problem now,says the blind man :-D
        Perhaps you just need to put a mooring float at the upper end of
        your mooring chain thus relieving the stem of having to float that
        weight of the chain thus it has only to support the weight of the
        line or rope used to secure yourself to the float.
        . . .

      • mannthree
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...> wrote:
          > Peter and Will,

          Thanks for the advice on the mooring lines. I'm going to wait until
          April (Autumn) when I slip the Micro to antifoul her and tart her up
          for WINTER sailing,

          Cheers,

          John

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
            From: mannthree

            > I'm going to wait until
            > April (Autumn) when I slip the Micro to antifoul her and tart her up
            > for WINTER sailing,

            Remember to armour the forefoot with steel plates to break the ice ;-)

            Bill

          • mannthree
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Samson" <willsamson@y...> wrote: