Re: Micro Sunny Sailing and Free Flooding Wisdom

  • mannthree
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2005
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...> wrote:

      Peter,

      You are absolutely correct that a cool beer sipped leasurely whilst
      leaning back in the cockpit of the Micro is definitely my definition
      of Heaven on Earth. The Micro is such good sailor that one rarely
      spills any of the liquid amber due to having to perform frantic
      tacking antics that seem to be happening amongst the racing fleets. I
      am continuously amazed that they all seem to be in a bloody great
      hurry to get to that next buoy and to "starboard" out any opposition
      who happen to be in their way. Sydney harbour can be a Microcosm of
      life in any big city with people full of testosterone, attitude and in
      a hurry to get nowhere, but I still love the place.

      The drain holes in Time Out are above the water line at rest. Having
      said that, I think that I could do with a little more ballast as when
      a get an extra 100 kilos (220lbs) in the boat she does stand up better
      in a blow, plus she seems to "bounce" around less in a harbour chop.
      Also when I tie up at the mooring, I notice that she's a bit stem
      bown, stern up due to the weight of the mooring chain and rope. This
      may cause the forward free flooding area to be flooded more than usual,

      Cheers,

      John

    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mannthree" <johnmann@i...> wrote:
        > Also when I tie up at the mooring, I notice that she's a bit stem
        > bown, stern up due to the weight of the mooring chain and rope.
        This
        > may cause the forward free flooding area to be flooded more than
        usual,

        > Cheers,
        >
        > John

        John,

        I see the problem now,says the blind man :-D
        Perhaps you just need to put a mooring float at the upper end of
        your mooring chain thus relieving the stem of having to float that
        weight of the chain thus it has only to support the weight of the
        line or rope used to secure yourself to the float.
        Of course,it may not be so straight forward as there may well be
        other reasons why your mooring is set up as it is.
        A good sized cooler,loaded with glass bottles filled with juice
        sure adds some good weight and multiple coolers add up to moveable
        ballast to always keep your Micro in "perfect" sailing trim :-)
        Glad to here that you are/have discovered the simple,easy method of
        taking your leisure on the water.
        It was -3 C. here yesterday,almost t-shirt weather,by golly!Can
        summer be that close? And if it is that close,that can only mean you
        had better get in the maximum number of days on board 'cause winter
        is slowly headed your way......my sympathies.....:-D

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,one bottle short for a case,from along the its'-almost-
        too-good-to-be-true-thawing shores of the St.Lawrence...........
      • Will Samson
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
          Not sure I've fully grasped this, but if It's what I think then I had a similar situation with my Chebacco, which was also a tad nose-down at the mooring. As Peter suggests, I had my mooring chain terminate at a big inflatable float, and a couple of stout mooring strops (Nylon) from the top of the chain to the stem of the boat. Why two strops? Well, if one happened to chafe through in a storm, the other would still be there to keep things together until I had a chance to get out and do some replacement.

          Having done all that, the Chebacco was still an inch or two down by the bows, but trimmed nicely when I heaved my vast bulk into the cockpit.

          I wonder if there's some way of tying on an inflatable fender under the forefoot, at the mooring, to float it a little higher? I'm sure I've heard of people doing that with Micros and Jessies; I think Chuck Merrell called it a 'training bra'. It has the welcome side effect of reducing pounding at anchor.

          Bill
          > Also when I tie up at the mooring, I notice that she's a bit stem
          > bown, stern up due to the weight of the mooring chain and rope.
          This
          > may cause the forward free flooding area to be flooded more than
          usual,

          > Cheers,
          >
          > John

          John,

          I see the problem now,says the blind man :-D
          Perhaps you just need to put a mooring float at the upper end of
          your mooring chain thus relieving the stem of having to float that
          weight of the chain thus it has only to support the weight of the
          line or rope used to secure yourself to the float.
          . . .

        • mannthree
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...> wrote:
            > Peter and Will,

            Thanks for the advice on the mooring lines. I'm going to wait until
            April (Autumn) when I slip the Micro to antifoul her and tart her up
            for WINTER sailing,

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
              From: mannthree

              > I'm going to wait until
              > April (Autumn) when I slip the Micro to antifoul her and tart her up
              > for WINTER sailing,

              Remember to armour the forefoot with steel plates to break the ice ;-)

              Bill

            • mannthree
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Samson" <willsamson@y...> wrote: