[bolger] Topaz

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 52 , Oct 3, 1999
      Donald and the group:

      There has been a lot of interest in the Topaz, so I have uploaded a scan of
      the line drawing, and the text of the MAIB article. Look in the Vault
      section of the Bolger group: http://www.egroups.com/docvault/bolger/ In
      the "Topaz" folder is the drawing of the Topaz, and four files containing
      the article. For some reason, at this minute, the link isn't working. If
      this happens, try again later.

      Chuck

      Duckworks Magazine
      http://www.hilconet.com/~dworksmg
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 26, 2006
        Can you tell me about the topaz?

        Topaz is a design sold by Phil Bolger, essentially a shallow draft
        double ended outboard runabout, mostly out of plywood.

        I think that three have been built in the 'enclosed cabin' version,
        and I am the first to build in the 'open runabout' version. I think
        it could be built with MDO plywood, (without fiberglass), making it
        somewhat 'disposable', but with a boat this big (31ft) there is some
        justification towards spending the $/time to build it more
        substantially w/plywood/epoxy/fiberglass composite.

        Some photos of a Topaz build here:

        http://journeyboats.com/photo_journal.htm

        I used a different quicker technique for the bottom build, with no
        'table', Silicon Bronze nails instead of screws, and I was happy with
        the time saved.

        Presently, I am partially done, doing interior fitout (most recently,
        the 'faux-teak' floorboard planking between the seats and in the
        cockpit) plus painting of the underseat compartments. Two weeks ago,
        I installed the narrow curved midship top deck strake (20ft x 6"
        tilted and curved), for which I used Free!ship to calculate the
        layout. Handy software!