river cruiser

  • meanderline
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 27, 2005
      If you go to duckworks you'll see John Lewis is giving away his
      Chugger. He's in Iowa but, hey, it's free and perfect for what you
      want.
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
        Now that winter is over, forecast high temperatures today
        of 70 degrees F., I hope to put my Micro Navigator in
        the water for a 'sail' tryout this weekend. Photos to follow.
        I see that other places in the world are not thawed yet.
        http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicLat/2005/0205/202/Feb2.html
      • Jason Stancil
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
          Bruce- if you get the chance to put the yuloh to use let us know how
          it goes. Since my navigator is under a snow covered tarp i have been
          looking for a project....thinking about cutting a foot or two out of
          the middle of my yuloh an increasing the angle of the joint. Yours
          seems to be a bit shorter with a steeper break than my plank has
          Thanks,
          Jason
        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2005
            Couple of Yuloh links

            http://www.simplicityboats.com/yulohpage.html

            http://www.alaska.net/~mzeiger/MJprogress04.html

            Winter is over??

            HJ

            Jason Stancil wrote:

            >Bruce- if you get the chance to put the yuloh to use let us know how
            >it goes. Since my navigator is under a snow covered tarp i have been
            >looking for a project....thinking about cutting a foot or two out of
            >the middle of my yuloh an increasing the angle of the joint. Yours
            >seems to be a bit shorter with a steeper break than my plank has
            >Thanks,
            > Jason

          • GarthAB
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
              I'd like to make a yuloh for Cormroant. I'm a bit confused by reading
              that WoodenBoat article, and the Japanese article on the ro, and the
              other yuloh links.

              The ro (and David Beede's yuloh) seem to be almost all blade and very
              little loom. The Zeigers' seems to be mostly loom and only 2 1/2 or 3
              feet of blade. And the WB article seems to say you can have the blade
              either vertical (like a shark fin) or horizontal (like a whale tail).
              Unfortunately I can't get the larger versions of the WB pictures to
              pop up, so it's hard to make out exactly what's being said.

              And beyond that, I'm a little unclear on the best angle for the
              blade's length to enter the water -- should it point down at 45
              degrees, like the illustration of the ro, or is it better to angle it
              more shallow?

              And how much to curve the loom?

              Sorry for my thickheadedness. Any yuloh users or scholars, please set
              me straight. This seems like a good tail-end-of-winter indoor project.

              All best,
              Garth
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                > degrees, like the illustration of the ro, or is it better to angle it
                > more shallow?
                > Garth

                I have not yet tried my yuloh out, but I sent a picture of it
                to Phil Bolger, and his very short reply [I paraphrase]
                was that yulohs work on the same principle as propellers,
                except that they oscillate instead of rotate. That tells me
                that plenty of angle shouldn't hurt, [unless, I suppose,
                you start to get 'stall'.]
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                  > Winter is over??
                  > HJ

                  Sorry, false alarm. The 70 degree weather last week has given way
                  to a new cold spell. I am going sailing today anyway. Bruce.

                  http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USCA0987_f.html
                • GarthAB
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                    Hi Bruce --

                    Have you posted pictures of your yuloh? Sorry if I missed them first
                    time around. If possible, can you repost a link or two?

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                      http://community.webshots.com/photo/152437024/152438107TuGtQS

                      There are a few others in the albums too.

                      > Have you posted pictures of your yuloh?
                      > Garth
                    • GarthAB
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                        Cool! A folding one. Now I'm hooked.

                        All best,
                        Garth

                        > http://community.webshots.com/photo/152437024/152438107TuGtQS
                        >
                        > There are a few others in the albums too.
                        >
                        > > Have you posted pictures of your yuloh?
                        > > Garth
                      • Jamie Orr
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                          I was looking at a yuloh too. I contacted Craig O'Donnell who sent
                          me a load of information, if you send me your email address I'll
                          forward the whole thing to you, pictures and all. (Send the address
                          to jorr@..., yahoo doesn't seem to allow complete
                          addresses.)

                          I haven't taken it very far yet. I'm going to make up some oars so I
                          can get into the Shipyard Raid, but might still try a yuloh
                          sometime. I'd like to see how they compare.

                          Jamie Orr

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "GarthAB" <garth@b...> wrote:

                          > I'd like to make a yuloh for Cormroant. I'm a bit confused by
                          reading
                          > that WoodenBoat article, and the Japanese article on the ro, and the
                          > other yuloh links.
                          >
                          > The ro (and David Beede's yuloh) seem to be almost all blade and
                          very
                          > little loom. The Zeigers' seems to be mostly loom and only 2 1/2 or
                          3
                          > feet of blade. And the WB article seems to say you can have the
                          blade
                          > either vertical (like a shark fin) or horizontal (like a whale
                          tail).
                          > Unfortunately I can't get the larger versions of the WB pictures to
                          > pop up, so it's hard to make out exactly what's being said.
                          >
                          > And beyond that, I'm a little unclear on the best angle for the
                          > blade's length to enter the water -- should it point down at 45
                          > degrees, like the illustration of the ro, or is it better to angle
                          it
                          > more shallow?
                          >
                          > And how much to curve the loom?
                          >
                          > Sorry for my thickheadedness. Any yuloh users or scholars, please
                          set
                          > me straight. This seems like a good tail-end-of-winter indoor
                          project.

                          > All best,
                          > Garth
                        • craig o'donnell
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                            >And how much to curve the loom?
                            >
                            >Sorry for my thickheadedness. Any yuloh users or scholars, please set
                            >me straight. This seems like a good tail-end-of-winter indoor project.

                            I did an exhaustive survey of all the "available with some travail"
                            material on Yulohs for Messing Bout in Boats maybe 3 years back.

                            Try googling "Cranks with Planks".

                            Blade should be horizontal. Angle of entry doesn't seem to be super
                            critical, but generally it's well under 45 degrees.

                            Chinese loom is curved, but only as much as necessary so someone standing
                            in the yulohing-position on the deck can comfortably work it. Some Chinese
                            craft have such high sterns that a yuloh would be impossibly long if
                            straight or the yuloh-er would be standing dead aft one what I imagine is a
                            precarios perch.
                            --
                            Craig O'Donnell
                            Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

                            -- Macintosh kinda guy
                            Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
                            _________________________________
                          • craig o'donnell
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 6, 2005
                              >I have not yet tried my yuloh out, but I sent a picture of it
                              >to Phil Bolger, and his very short reply [I paraphrase]
                              >was that yulohs work on the same principle as propellers,
                              >except that they oscillate instead of rotate. That tells me
                              >that plenty of angle shouldn't hurt, [unless, I suppose,
                              >you start to get 'stall'.]

                              You're confusing angle of attack with teh angle in the water. If it's too
                              vertical, you are getting less power, because you are exerting less
                              leverage on the yuloh. The loom of a yuloh rotates say 25 degrees or so
                              either side of dead center. That is the angle of attack. The angle the
                              blade makes with the surface of the water is another matter.