Elegant Punt in a snowstorm

  • GarthAB
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2005
      It's snowing like crazy here in the Catskills today -- they're
      predicting 12-18 inches by tomorrow morning. But I had some luan out
      in the barn, and some strips of 1x1 and 1x2 that I ripped last fall.
      And . . . well, you know how these things happen.

      I decided today was a good day to build an Elegant Punt, just in case
      we ever want a tender for Cormorant. It only requires wood glue and
      screws (till I glass the bottom in the spring), so it's a good winter
      indoor project.

      I lined out the side panels indoors, and cut them out on the snow --
      no need to hunt up scrap ply for sawing on. It was 8 degrees F and my
      fingers froze quickly -- but there wasn't a whole lot of sawing to do.
      It did occur to me that this might be a form of madness, sawing boat
      parts in a snowstorm . . . But, nah!!!

      I cut out the bow and stern transoms, and the midship frame. I brought
      it all inside to warm by the woodstove. Since the boat is only 7'9"
      long, it's pretty easy to squeeze the pieces into our little parlor. I
      laid down newspaper and started gluing and screwing framing sticks to
      the transoms and the middle frame. That's where I am right now, as
      evening falls. Tomorrow I hope to attach the sides, then the gunwales
      and the chine logs, plane the chines flat, and maybe get the bottom
      cut out and attached.

      It's a good fix for cabin fever.

      All best,
      Garth