[bolger] "Step" Sneakeasy

  • bgbeck55@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 1999
      Is the "step" version of Sneakeasy a separate set of plans? I
      received the study plan from HHP, but makes no mention of the "step"
      variation. If you want to build one, do you just use the information in
      BWOM or contact PCB? Also would it hurt the design if the upper portion
      were widened to 5'0" in order to gain a little more elbow room for the
      occupants?
    • GHC
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 1999
        I ordered the "square" plans from Payson, and completed the "step" versions
        using the book. I believe the book says there are (were?) no expansions
        available for the step type.

        There seems to be plenty of room in my boat, 3 a breast gets cozy, but not
        oo bad. Hard to know what you mean by "hurt", but you are suggesting
        increasing the boat size by 25%, plus wetted area. Or, if you mean to
        flare the sides, then you have changed the boat in more ways than one...

        Gregg C.

      • bgbeck55@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 1999
          Thanks Gregg,
          All I intended was to keep the plumb sides, but increase beam to 5'0".
          I wasn't sure how long ago the piece in BWOM had been written and if PCB
          had drawn up plans in the mean time. What's the max. on passengers? 2?4?
          Bruce

          ghc <ghart-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=421
          > I ordered the "square" plans from Payson, and completed the "step" versions
          > using the book. I believe the book says there are (were?) no expansions
          > available for the step type.
          >
          > There seems to be plenty of room in my boat, 3 a breast gets cozy, but not
          > oo bad. Hard to know what you mean by "hurt", but you are suggesting
          > increasing the boat size by 25%, plus wetted area. Or, if you mean to
          > flare the sides, then you have changed the boat in more ways than one...
          >
          > Gregg C.
          >
          > At 04:17 PM 10/3/1999 -0700, you wrote:
          > > Is the "step" version of Sneakeasy a separate set of plans? I
          > >received the study plan from HHP, but makes no mention of the "step"
          > >variation. If you want to build one, do you just use the information in
          > >BWOM or contact PCB? Also would it hurt the design if the upper portion
          > >were widened to 5'0" in order to gain a little more elbow room for the
          > >occupants?

        • G Carlson
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 1999
            No, we've had 6 more than once, and 4 is easy...

            > Thanks Gregg,
            > All I intended was to keep the plumb sides, but increase beam to 5'0".
            > I wasn't sure how long ago the piece in BWOM had been written and if PCB
            > had drawn up plans in the mean time. What's the max. on passengers? 2?4?
            >Bruce
            >

            > ghc <ghart-@...> wrote:
            >original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=421
            >> I ordered the "square" plans from Payson, and completed the "step"
            >>versions
            >> using the book. I believe the book says there are (were?) no expansions
            >> available for the step type.
            >>
            >> There seems to be plenty of room in my boat, 3 a breast gets cozy, but not
            >> oo bad. Hard to know what you mean by "hurt", but you are suggesting
            >> increasing the boat size by 25%, plus wetted area. Or, if you mean to
            >> flare the sides, then you have changed the boat in more ways than one...
            >>
            >> Gregg C.
            >>
            >> At 04:17 PM 10/3/1999 -0700, you wrote:
            >> > Is the "step" version of Sneakeasy a separate set of plans? I
            >> >received the study plan from HHP, but makes no mention of the "step"
            >> >variation. If you want to build one, do you just use the information in
            >> >BWOM or contact PCB? Also would it hurt the design if the upper portion
            >> >were widened to 5'0" in order to gain a little more elbow room for the
            >> >occupants?

            >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger
          • donschultz8275
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 8 6:06 AM
              There are also pics of a Sneakeasy in Alaska w' a PCB sketched
              forward cockpit. That is a flatbottom version. Combining the pit w'
              the step version may not be wise given they step reduces flotation
              fwd.

              IMO, a widening to 5 ft would be a different boat with far different
              characteristics that the original.

              Don Schultz