New Year's -- was carbon fibre masts

  • Jamie Orr
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2005
      Hi Gang,

      Just in from my first sail of the year. Wayward Lass is still
      waiting for her new mast so I borrowed the boy's elegant
      punt "Creamsicle".

      Hard to find enough room to get comfortable with 240 pounds and bad
      knees, but managed to find the groove a few times on both the good
      and bad tacks. Having the leeboard on the opposite side to the sprit
      boom seemed to work best and evened out the performance.

      Almost swamped once when I lost the wind suddenly. Had my weight
      well to windward, and when the wind stopped pushing, water started
      pouring in over that gunwale -- thought she was going to fill before
      I could get centred, but managed to make it. Swimming ashore is not
      a safe option in our cold waters! A few minutes work with the bailer
      put the ocean back in its place.

      Also found things unstable when running. Might have been because I
      had more wind than I really wanted, 10 knots felt like a gale. Much
      happier with about 5.

      Stopped for lunch on a sheltered beach, drank a short hot rum to the
      coming year. Things are looking good so far!

      Coming back I unshipped both rudder and leeboard and steered with an
      oar (in its regular place but trailing back). I'd started upwind, so
      coming home I had the wind over my shoulder -- and it had dropped a
      bit. Anyway, that was really nice because I could sail right in to
      the beach. Going to have to change the rudder to a kick up version
      for the future. And it's awkward getting the pin in while bobbing
      around the ocean in any case.

      Made two resolutions while I was out there -- get the new mast
      finished soon and drop 40 pounds!

      Cheers,

      Jamie

      (Aye Bill, and I ken aboot the Broons tae. Grannie used to send The
      Sunday Post up to Orkney every week. Jings!)

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Samson" <willsamson@y...> wrote:
      > Ye ken aboot Oor Wullie!
      >
      > I'm greatly impressed!
      >
      > Wull
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
        >However, once it's up...I feel
        > obliged to make the best of each effort and savor each moment to
        > make lasting memories.

        Truer words have not been spoken! ;-)

        > Windemere is looking great! How many gallons of glop and goo have
        > you used so far? It looks as if you have cornered the market.

        Hi David,Thanks! I haven't an accurate tally but it must be several
        gallons certainly to date. I'll have to get back to you on that
        one,once I've got all my bills in order.The bulk of the epoxy use
        however,is yet to come since neither the outside nor inside have
        been treated with it so far nor has the rood been installed.
        Have you built a model of your next boat? Are you still considering
        one of the bigger Bolger Boxes? I sure hope so :-)

        Have a nice winter and lets hope for an early Spring.....we're all
        getting to old to put up with the white stuff and all its' delays to
        proper boating fun!

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,who can now swear that he feels the days growing
        long......yippee!
      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Samson" <willsamson@y...> wrote:
          > Och, hoot toot mon, maister Lenihan! Wi' a mannie my age it
          would be an awfu' waste of fevered fantasies. As ma auld faither
          used to say, "It's a peety that when the Lord taks awa' the ability,
          he disnae tak awa the notion o't at the same time . . ."

          > Na-na! I'd be better aff having nae hernias, despite the
          attractions of the heft of a fine thick spruce mast standing up
          there, magnificent and wi' nae veesible means of support (or so the
          lassies tell me).

          > Onywey, it remains but tae wish a' the loons and quines in the
          group a braw New Year!

          > Yous in seemly sobriety,
          >
          > Bill (a.k.a. 'Wullie' in the hills and glens)

          Sir Wullie,
          LOL!!!Awefully glad to read you took it all in good
          spirits.Never know when one might be getting the wrong ideas at the
          right times :-)

          All the best to your and yours too in this New Year!!

          Sincerely,

          Peter"three sheets to the wind" Lenihan....
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...>
            wrote:

            The bulk of the epoxy use
            > however,is yet to come since neither the outside nor inside have
            > been treated with it so far nor has the rood been installed.

            Hi Peter,

            Where are you planning to install the rood? Right next to the
            captains bed I suppose and alongside the invisible rope chest?

            When I observe Windermer's beautiful bottom with box keel and that
            absolutely magnifique centerboard I can't help but wonder if it is
            still not too late to lower that deckhouse height, add a small
            pilothouse, maybe some extra batteries for ballest, and install two
            beautifully hand-carved eastern spruce masts! Just imagine how much
            glop you will save, let alone the cost of all that interior plumbing,
            cabinetry, glitz and glitter, hot tub and expensive motor.

            All you need is a bucket, a hammock and a big cooler mate! You could
            be out sailing along the shores of the mighty St. Lawrence, in the
            schooner Windermere by the time most the ice is out. And all you will
            need is the T9.9 Yam and you wouldn't have to stop once you reached
            the ocean.

            Quite this "estuary cruiser" nonsence before it is too late!

            Best of the Year To Ya!,

            Nels
            From along the shores of Moose Jaw Creek, where the temperature has
            risen 10 degrees to a balmy -25.
          • Peter Lenihan
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
              > Where are you planning to install the rood? Right next to the
              > captains bed I suppose and alongside the invisible rope chest?

              Hi Pirate Nels!

              Well,I should have checked my terrible spelling first,thus
              rood would have been corrected to read "roof" :-) I plan on keeping
              the invisible rope chest on the bottom of one of the closets in the
              stateroom......that way "they" can be lured into the right setting
              for such antics :-D

              > When I observe Windermer's beautiful bottom with box keel and that
              > absolutely magnifique centerboard I can't help but wonder if it is
              > still not too late to lower that deckhouse height, add a small
              > pilothouse, maybe some extra batteries for ballest, and install
              two
              > beautifully hand-carved eastern spruce masts! Just imagine how
              much
              > glop you will save, let alone the cost of all that interior
              plumbing,
              > cabinetry, glitz and glitter, hot tub and expensive motor.
              >
              > All you need is a bucket, a hammock and a big cooler mate! You
              could
              > be out sailing along the shores of the mighty St. Lawrence, in the
              > schooner Windermere by the time most the ice is out. And all you
              will
              > need is the T9.9 Yam and you wouldn't have to stop once you
              reached
              > the ocean.
              >
              > Quite this "estuary cruiser" nonsence before it is too late!
              >
              > Best of the Year To Ya!,
              >
              > Nels
              > From along the shores of Moose Jaw Creek, where the temperature
              has
              > risen 10 degrees to a balmy -25.

              You are not the first to suggest lowering the coach roof some,to at
              least get a proper pilot house with a porthole looking aft.However,
              you are the first to publicly call for abandoning the "estuary
              cruiser" mode and to make her into a schooner! Only one other pirate
              of reknown,Bruce Hector,would have been so bold(you're in good
              company there!) :-)
              As much as I would love to accomadate this sort of craziness, I must
              confess that I am rather smitten with Windermere,as is, and even
              more so with the prospect of multiple hijinks,blow high,blow
              low,with genial company.
              The cost,as you so correctly point out,would be reduced
              considerably,but so too would the palacial comforts afforded by
              Windermere. Moreover,it will be precisely these comforts which will
              serve as convincing inducements for prospective crew.T's one thing
              ta get'em on board,laddy,but a whole other animal ta keep them thar:-
              )

              As to the presence of spars; don't forget that there is that
              ingenious anchor davit,up forward,which I have been considering
              getting chromed,thus serving two functions...... then there is the
              roof top mast for flying all sorts of paraphenia including les sous-
              v├ętements,followed by the mighty flag staff aft,most likely out of
              mahogany .Of course,it is hoped that the interior too will see its'
              fair share of "wood",on occassion,in the stateroom,with velvet
              curtains drawn :-)
              But were I to build me some real masts,like for a schooner or other
              lovely vessel,I would get me hands on some Quebec black
              spruce....the next best thing to Sitka Spruce for tightness of its'
              annual rings although a bit heavier then Sitka.Eastern is better
              left to planking,me thinks.
              How I envy you your balmy weather of -25 as I labour away in a
              sweltering -9C. Enjoy it while it lasts for we will soon enough be
              cooking in + 5 weather :-)

              Sincerely,

              Peter Lenihan,tempted,teased and tortured with all sorts of crazy
              ideas but nevertheless focused on Windermere,from along the frozen
              banks of the St.Lawrence Seaway........